Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and in the nick of time too! Was under the car getting ready to install it, when I noticed one of my collector/cat bolts was broken! WTF!? Anyhow, took it don the street to a muffler shop my buddy recommended where they said it would cost $40 to replace the bolt! I asked how much they'd charge to install the whole exhaust since it was gonna be up on the lift anyway...long story short, $85 later, I was out the door with a brand new bolt and Magnaflow exhaust. Sounds grrrreat! Best $550 I've spent yet! Just thought I'd share that with everyone. :thumbsup:

-Erik Valdez
Circo Meta Forma
Graphic Design, Decals, Banners, T-Shirts, etc.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Congrats it is the cheapest way to a better sounding V

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
Congrats...it really makes the car more fun to drive. I love my magnaflow!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Welcome to the club! :)

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V (Blk, 6spd, Recaros), 2007 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)
717 Posts
...and in the nick of time too! Was under the car getting ready to install it, when I noticed one of my collector/cat bolts was broken! WTF!? Anyhow, took it don the street to a muffler shop my buddy recommended where they said it would cost $40 to replace the bolt! I asked how much they'd charge to install the whole exhaust since it was gonna be up on the lift anyway...long story short, $85 later, I was out the door with a brand new bolt and Magnaflow exhaust. Sounds grrrreat! Best $550 I've spent yet! Just thought I'd share that with everyone. :thumbsup:

-Erik Valdez
Circo Meta Forma
Graphic Design, Decals, Banners, T-Shirts, etc.
Congrats on the purchase! Can you get it to drone at all?? I've read tons of posts on people feeling of the Magnaflow, and am just curious as to your opinion...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
248 Posts
i've had mine on for a few weeks now and i absolutely love the sound...i love a deep note and IMO it is by far the best sounding exhaust for the V...i can't stand the raspy sound of the other systems.

i do have a problem and question for you magnaflow guys...

i dont have the equipment to install it myself, so i took it to a local muffler shop...it's on but there is a serious vibrating/clunking sound under heavy acceleration, plus the right side isn't centered in the cutout on the rear bumper...starting to get annoying. i took it back to the shop and had the guy adjust it, but the vibration/clunking is still there, and the damn pipe is still way off-center...am i just dealing with a messed up installer or are these common issues?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have heard the Magnaflow needs more adjustment when installed to get the tips alligned. The B&B and Corsa are the only ones that are really good to go right out of the box.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same problem with my Mags, the right muffler was not as straight as the left. I just bent the hangers a little to get them sitting evenly but both still sit about a half inch off-center (towards the middle of the bumper). I haven’t got the clunking sound though so I don't know what to tell you about that. Make sure they removed that metal support piece in the middle of the undercarriage because that causes a rattling sound when you drive on rough road. Good luck.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
I had the same problem with my Mags, the right muffler was not as straight as the left. I just bent the hangers a little to get them sitting evenly but both still sit about a half inch off-center (towards the middle of the bumper). I haven’t got the clunking sound though so I don't know what to tell you about that. Make sure they removed that metal support piece in the middle of the undercarriage because that causes a rattling sound when you drive on rough road. Good luck.
I have that same vibration. It is caused by the metal support brace that the pipes rest on like easyV said. I haven't taken mine off yet, since it's up on jack stand awaiting my wheels from the powdercoater I may slip it off. I'm still not sure...there is a reason its there...maybe i'll just try to slip something on it to get rid of the metal on metal vibration.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went to two different muffler shops and they both said that they remove that support. I felt that there was a need for it too but they say that it's only required for the stock exhaust because it weighs more. I'm no expert though, just relaying info.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
65 Posts
I installed mine last weekend in the garage, sounds AWESOME :thumbsup: but i had the same alignment issues. I too, just bent the hangers and now its all good. I also left the center support brace off. The Magnaflow is way lighter than the stock exhaust. I couldn't believe how heavy the stock was draggin it out from underneath. I do believe once you remove that center brace your vibration will go away, and try to bend the hangers to even up the tips in the cutouts; Easy day..

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
248 Posts
yeah im sure that it's brace causing the noise - when i took it back to the guy to have him look at it, he tried to bend it out of the way, and it actually seemed to work, for a day. i'll just have it taken completely off. good call on bending the hangers to adjust the fitment in the cut-outs, i wanted to avoid that at first just in case it was an install foul up, not a common equipment problem. but it all seems easy enough to fix!

thanks guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
i dont have the equipment to install it myself, so i took it to a local muffler shop...it's on but there is a serious vibrating/clunking sound under heavy acceleration, plus the right side isn't centered in the cutout on the rear bumper...starting to get annoying. i took it back to the shop and had the guy adjust it, but the vibration/clunking is still there, and the damn pipe is still way off-center...am i just dealing with a messed up installer or are these common issues?
To get rid of the clunk and keep the center brace heres what you need to do:

1. Loosen up all the exhaust clamps
2. Use a floor jack and piece of wood to jack up the catback system from the middle of the car. Jack it up as high as it will go, touching the bottom of the car.
3. Tighten everything up
4. Let down the jack

Now it should hang perfectly and have just as much clearance over the center brace as the factory exhaust did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts