Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long is it taking to remove the stock exhaust and replace with a Magnaflow catback. I am hoping I can sneek this in one night this week before the weekend. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
06' CTS-V
128 Posts
How long is it taking to remove the stock exhaust and replace with a Magnaflow catback. I am hoping I can sneek this in one night this week before the weekend. Thanks, Dan
I can't speak for the Magnaflow but it only took about 90 minutes to install the B&B catback on my 06' V. I had it on a lift so that made it easier however.

PS. It sure is handy to have an extra set of hands for the removal of the original exhaust as it comes off as a complete assembly.

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
The whole process took about 2 hours by myself. Drove it up on the ramps and unbolted. I spent at least 30 minutes adjusting the rear of the exhaust trying to line them up evenly. The whole thing was easy.

FYI - I read the write-up in the FAQ first.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,074 Posts
Two hours give or take is about right, IMHO. That includes getting the ramps out, pulling the tools out of the box, to putting it all away.

GREAT sound, too! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, thats what i was thinking and hoping. Just backing up on some ramps gonna give me enough room or do I need to lift the front up too?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum
1,182 Posts
Took my shop a few hours but that is because they broke a few bolts holding the original exhaust onto the manifolds.

They only charged me for one hour though, thankfully!

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,074 Posts
Thanks, thats what i was thinking and hoping. Just backing up on some ramps gonna give me enough room or do I need to lift the front up too?
It'd be a bunch easier that way.

How skinny are you?

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
One of the bolts broke on my cat connection and I have to drive to an exhaust shop and have them put in a new stud and get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Make sure you have spare bolts there. They will break. Also a good set of vice grips to get the broken stud out, hopefully there will be something to grab onto. If not you are into drilling it out and using an easy-out.

The original studs break quite easily. You can try to lube them up with a penetrating spray an hour or so before you try to back them out.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No broken studs, one thumbs up and a couple obnox looks pulling out of the subdivision with open pipes!!! Three hours later it sounds great. Need to tweak the alignment a little but not bad. Thanks for all the help.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
add a few minutes to whatever your guestimating for driving the car around when you get the original exhaust off :devil: it is a mandatory step!!! :)
do NOT do this!!!

I made this mistake... I drove mine while I was doing the swap & I happened to drive through a small tunnel :drool:
Those couple minutes of driving made me feel like my magnaflow was too silent and resulted in me having to get headers :nono:

Unrestricted LSX = :drool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts