Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Magnaflow Causing MAF Sensor Problems???

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jspridge 
#1 ·
My car has thrown mass air flow sensor codes 3 times in the last few weeks. The sensor has been replaced and the code is appearing again. Can anyone tell me if the Magnaflow cat-back system could cause this? The dealer is trying to lay the blame for the MAF codes on my exhaust "not having enough back pressure". Can anyone here advise me on whether this is a real concern?

#7 ·
Did you recently oil your filter?

Oil from oil (no paper) filters has been known to gunk up the MAF causing incorrect readings... GM has a TSB on this to the dealers telling them NOT to replace any MAFs with aftermraket exahsut for this reason...

Take it in, but put your stock filter on.

Reed

#8 ·
I have always used a stock paper filter (installed a new one two weeks ago), and a week ago the MAF sensor was replaced. Now the code has appeared again and instead of figuring it out, the good folks at the dealership are telling me that my aftermarket exhaust has altered the back pressure and created the error that throws the code.

Of course they are unable to explain why this started happening three weeks ago for the first time, and why it did not happen during the other 10K miles since I installed the Magnaflow.

#9 ·
Thats the biggest load of BS I have ever heard.. The maf failing because of the exhaust... WOW....

Maybe the replacement MAF they put in is bad... did you check to make sure they put it in the right way(look for the flow error). Sounds like they screwed something up when they installed the new MAF.

With an explanation like they gave you about the exhaust, you need to check every nut and bolt from this dealer...

Reed

#11 ·
ctsvett said:
Thats the biggest load of BS I have ever heard.. The maf failing because of the exhaust... WOW....

:histeric::histeric::histeric::cookoo::thepan::suspect::wtf:

Whoever told you that is choking his chicken! The guy probably had both in his hand and put the old one back in. Could be dirt, oil, a leak, loose clamp or a bad new MAF. etc. Sounds like something GT04 would say!

#12 ·
These guys have a history of blaming defects on the driver, and sometimes returning the car in worse condition than when I dropped it off.

I'm going to check out the installation of the "new" sensor, and retighten all of the exhaust clamps, etc., and then probably wait to see if the code comes up again.

The funniest thing about my dealer experience is that they could not reproduce the error themselves, even though the Magnaflow was on the car when they tested it, and then they called me and said that it had to be the exhaust. I asked them how a periodic fault could be caused by something that is always on the car, and the guy was dumbfounded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.