Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
I don't see on the dyno if it's showing wheel numbers or crank numbers?

I find it hard to believe the Maggied LS2 makes 210 wheel hp (560hp (dyno claimed) - ~350hp (stock to the wheels)) more than stock.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
I just went to the website. The dyno is showing power at the crank. So, assuming 15% driveline loss, the 560hp/500tq at the crank is about 476hp/425tq. The V has more drivetrain loss so those numbers will be a bit lower. Still amazing gains w/ all else being stock!!

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Thank God for Seattle's discovery. If it were true that the LS2 made that much more hp over the LS6, I don't know what future plans I would've had with my current setup. :D

·
0 Posts
Seattle CTS-V said:
I just went to the website. The dyno is showing power at the crank. So, assuming 15% driveline loss, the 560hp/500tq at the crank is about 476hp/425tq. The V has more drivetrain loss so those numbers will be a bit lower. Still amazing gains w/ all else being stock!!
In other words, about avg.

The ls2 and ls6 are a trade off. ls2 has a bit more cubes, less cam, less intake and I think .5 more comp. Oh yeah, no sodium valves on the ls2.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
MCaesar said:
That is the engine that should have been in the STS-V!!!

Keep in mind that the blown SRT8s are showing 500 RWHP
Holy sh*t...that is scary...

They seem to be getting a lot more HP/torque out of thier motors from superchargering them than we are... :(

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Luna. said:
Holy sh*t...that is scary...

They seem to be getting a lot more HP/torque out of thier motors from superchargering them than we are... :(
Not THAT much more... lessee... they start with 25 HP more at the crank than us, maybe 21 more at the rear wheels. I started with 320 and went up to 483; they got up to 500. So we're doing OK.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
lawfive said:
Not THAT much more... lessee... they start with 25 HP more at the crank than us, maybe 21 more at the rear wheels. I started with 320 and went up to 483; they got up to 500. So we're doing OK.
Outside of our few "insane" board members who have modded their cars far beyond that of just a blower & a few other add-ons (i.e. exhaust, headers, etc.), is there anyone else that passes 450 torque at the rear wheels?

I think you will find that the number of those people are few and far between.

They are putting out MORE THAN ~50 lb feet of torque to the rear tires. That is HUGE... (Sorry, HP just doesn't mean all that much to me, but, perhaps, I'm missing the boat on that one).

For reasons that escape me (& many people who are a lot smarter than I am when it comes to automobiles), the LS6 in the CTS-V just doesn't put out stellar numbers when blown (well, as compared to, say, Vettes with LS6s).

And you and I are seeing Andy next time you are up here, for I need to know if I need to modify my car to be exactly like yours. :)

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Luna. said:
Outside of our few "insane" board members who have modded their cars far beyond that of just a blower & a few other add-ons (i.e. exhaust, headers, etc.), is there anyone else that passes 450 torque at the rear wheels?

They are putting out MORE THAN ~50 lb feet of torque to the rear tires. That is HUGE... (Sorry, HP just doesn't mean all that much to me, but, perhaps, I'm missing the boat on that one).

For reasons that escape me (& many people who are a lot smarter than I am when it comes to automobiles), the LS6 in the CTS-V just doesn't put out stellar numbers when blown (well, as compared to, say, Vettes with LS6s).

And you and I are seeing Andy next time you are up here, for I need to know if I need to modify my car to be exactly like yours. :)
I hear you: torque is the shit; hp is just how long you can keep it up. I talked in terms of HP because that's the term MCaesar's and your posts used.

Looking at the blown SRT-8 dyno: yeah, we're in some trouble. But they also start out with a bigger, studlier engine than we do. Some day maybe I'll be playing with a stroker and we'll see what's what. Right, Blitzer? Blitzer? (Where IS that boy...?)

See if Andy can handle a few dyno pulls on the 26th or 27th, and I'll be in. Now that I know I'm no longer running the tune I thought I was, I'd like to see where I'm at.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
lawfive said:
I hear you: torque is the shit; hp is just how long you can keep it up. I talked in terms of HP because that's the term MCaesar's and your posts used.

Looking at the blown SRT-8 dyno: yeah, we're in some trouble. But they also start out with a bigger, studlier engine than we do. Some day maybe I'll be playing with a stroker and we'll see what's what. Right, Blitzer? Blitzer? (Where IS that boy...?)

See if Andy can handle a few dyno pulls on the 26th or 27th, and I'll be in. Now that I know I'm no longer running the tune I thought I was, I'd like to see where I'm at.
LOL--okay. I'll lob a call over there and let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Luna. said:

The blown Magnum ran a 12.02 at altitude last week.

The owner thinks he can run 11.7 at sea level. That is pretty darn fast for a wagon!

I guess the rule I live by is there are so many variances between how much mods a person has done and how good a driver they are that you just never know how a particular race will go until it is done.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
That makes a lot of sense.

This morning on my way out of town. I got next to a 300C Hemi. It wasn't the SRT-8. I really think it was stock unless he was chipped. Anyhow, didn't know we were going to race until the light turned green and we pulled away together. He punches it and I follow right after. This was in 1st gear too. So 1st gear was mostly a little spinning. Second gear was just a little spin at start. I had half a car length on him at the end of second. Third gear was all he needed. By the end of third gear I had two car lengths on him.

However, what I'm trying to say is, if I was a better quarter mile driver, I'd probably would have beat him without so much effort. I guess an automatic without matching hp can still be a killer if you don't know what you are doing in a manual.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The non-SRT-8s basically have no chance---you'd have to royally screw up for them to take a V.

The SRT-8s though will require a V driver to be at his very best (unless, of course, he has some serious mods, which makes your margin of error much larger once you get going)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts