Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone upgrade their heat exchanger, use a larger intercooler reservoir, or upgrade their electric intercooler pump with their maggie?

Wondering if anyone has had any positive results with these type of upgrades.

I know a lot of the Ford Cobra owners make these upgrades and I recently purchased a a maggied V and wamted to see if this has been done.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
I think wait4me used two of the standard heat exchangers next to each other with good results. I believe he also said the pump is adequate for that setup.

·
Registered
CTS-V
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't think you could fit two exchangers next to each other.

I believe you could run a dual pass exchanger but the stock one runs almost all the way across the radiator and the width would probably be the limiting factor.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,074 Posts
I did a bit of a custom mounting (not to mention plumbing) arrangement on mine, but dang it's tight in there. Don't know how Jesse shoehorned anything more in there.

A bigger reservoir would be going in the right direction, I'd think. More time to lose heat. Love to get one with fins to better dissipate the heat.

Tom, that's interesting that Jesse felt the existing pump was adequate (probably from a flowrate perspective, I'd assume). It's one less component to focus in on and waste our energies trying to improve, especially if it doesn't need to be.

·
Registered
CTS-V
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rand, do you have any pictures of your setup? I'd like to see what you managed to fit in there.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
The power steering cooler is in the way, but that can be moved without too much trouble. With that out, I think you can grab at least another inch in HX thickness before you run into a couple of other things. It may be tough to fit a second HX of the same size in there, but if you went with a thicker primary one and then a second one that was a little shorter but a lot thicker you could mount it right behind the lower grill.

There is also definitely room for a larger reservoir in there, but no one has that yet though to my knowledge.

·
14,074 Posts
Rand, do you have any pictures of your setup? I'd like to see what you managed to fit in there.

Thanks
Heck, I can't get a camera in there to get a pic! Basically, all I did was to route the output from the innercooler (coming out of the maggie itself) straight into the HEX then out of the HEX and into the reservoir to the pump then back to the innercooler. In other words, I reversed the order of the HEX and the reservoir.

The power steering cooler is in the way, but that can be moved without too much trouble. With that out, I think you can grab at least another inch in HX thickness before you run into a couple of other things. It may be tough to fit a second HX of the same size in there, but if you went with a thicker primary one and then a second one that was a little shorter but a lot thicker you could mount it right behind the lower grill.

There is also definitely room for a larger reservoir in there, but no one has that yet though to my knowledge.
Tom, you know what somebody should do is monitor the temps of the fluid at two or more locations in the flow, then make one of these changes to see if it had the desired effect. I guess IATs might be even better, but both would be better yet. It'd have to be under identical road-load conditions and all, though. Think Tony would do that once he gets his stud fixed? :lildevil:

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Tom, you know what somebody should do is monitor the temps of the fluid at two or more locations in the flow, then make one of these changes to see if it had the desired effect. I guess IATs might be even better, but both would be better yet. It'd have to be under identical road-load conditions and all, though. Think Tony would do that once he gets his stud fixed? :lildevil:
You're right, it's almost useless to start trying different setups unless you have data logging equipment to measure the results. IATs should be a good measurement rather then trying to monitor intercooler fluid temp, but like you said it would also have to be under identical road and also weather conditions.

I vote for Tony. :bouncy:

·
Registered
escalade
571 Posts
We have had great results with the ford lightinf double pass afco hx in the gtos.I am talking to a company about a system that runs off your acc and lowers iats abot 50 degreese!!!Ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Guys, you do not want Tony doing tests under controlled conditions. He has very little control. :thepan: If one of does something, I could probably lent you my HPT. That way I could see your tune :cool:

OP You can start buy modding the IAT sensor. It will be more acurate, and your PCM wont pull so much timing.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-2004/172178-rpm-dyno-day-post-up-your-3.html

50* cooler would be great. Still trying to get this damn Meth thing right :mad:

·
Registered
CTS-V
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP You can start buy modding the IAT sensor. It will be more acurate, and your PCM wont pull so much timing.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-2004/172178-rpm-dyno-day-post-up-your-3.html

50* cooler would be great. Still trying to get this damn Meth thing right :mad:
Has anyone tried this? I recently got my car tuned and my IAT temps never stayed consistent. I was thinking that my sensor may be on it's last leg and was gonna replace it. If this actually works and is more accurate, it would be an easy upgrade.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Has anyone tried this? I recently got my car tuned and my IAT temps never stayed consistent. I was thinking that my sensor may be on it's last leg and was gonna replace it. If this actually works and is more accurate, it would be an easy upgrade.
Tony did it and it works.

I actually meant to update that thread. I have to recommend against cutting the whole cage off the sensor housing. I did, and when I tried installing it (which requires some force) I ended up bending the thermistor leads when the sensor didn't go straight in.

Now I have to pull it apart and see if I can save the thermistor to put it in my other sensor housing.

·
Registered
CTS-V
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 510. I'll order the parts today. I was a little concerned about the idea of cutting the entire cage off. Would you recommend cutting horizontal side post, or just leave as is?

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Thanks 510. I'll order the parts today. I was a little concerned about the idea of cutting the entire cage off. Would you recommend cutting horizontal side post, or just leave as is?
I would probably cut everything off from around the sides, but leave the single U-shaped piece that goes around the top. That should keep you from damaging the thermistor when installing it but still allow plenty of air flow around it.

·
Registered
CTS-V
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do. I just ordered enough to make 3 of these so if I don't have any issues I may have 2 up for grabs.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Tony did it and it works.

I actually meant to update that thread. I have to recommend against cutting the whole cage off the sensor housing. I did, and when I tried installing it (which requires some force) I ended up bending the thermistor leads when the sensor didn't go straight in.

Now I have to pull it apart and see if I can save the thermistor to put it in my other sensor housing.
Your IAT is not supposed to be cinsistent. Temp goes up at idle. Give it some gas, more cool air goes through the motor and the temp goes down. Get into boost, the temp starts to rise again.

The only reason I cut the cage off was to make the thermistor longer. The manifold seemed kinda deep, and I thought it may be better to get the thermistor closer to the center of the airflow.

·
Registered
CTS-V
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know the only true way to know would be to do IAT testing in a controlled environment, but does anyone think adding a secondary heat exchanger that fits in the lower grill like a Ford Cobra, increasing the size of the coolant reservoir, and adding a higher flowing pump would decrease IAT? I think there is enough room to do this but don't know if the payoff will be worth the effort.

In theory this would have the coolant pass through another heat exchanger, cooling it more than the single factory one. The increased coolant reservoir would allow for more fluid to pass through the intercooler. This could be a double-edged sword because you could end up with a larger amount of warm fluid also. I think the addition of the second heat exchanger would resolve this issue. What I am unsure of is would a higher flowing electric coolant pump help or hurt.

I know all of these are really unknown without trying it and having real world results but I am just trying to find a way to get consistent lower IAT's.

·
14,074 Posts
Will do. I just ordered enough to make 3 of these so if I don't have any issues I may have 2 up for grabs.
Let me know if you've got any leftovers. I'll take them off your hands and reimburse you. :thumbsup:

Without actually experimenting, I guess I have little to add at this point, but I remain all ears to these goings on.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
With a higher flowing pump, you have to test it to find out. But a second HE, would deff help.
I think imma start looking into this. Give myself a deadline to have it done by next summer.

Side note: I'm up in the mountains in PA. Got here about 9pm last night and it was 64*. After you get off the highway, there's a stop sign, then you turn up a hill. Made the turn and gave it some gas. I was really surprised how much better the car pulled! Even aftera two hour ride. Deff gonna dyno my car in the winter. See how close I can get to Randys generous Mustang numbers :lildevil:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts