Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 escalade awd 6.0
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have a diagram of where the maff sensor is, and what is the proper way to clean it? also whats the best way to clean the throttle body? is there a way to clean the rest of the fuel systym? what about dirty lifters, valves etc...? im looking to duesh this caddy out good.

·
Registered
2003 ESCALADE
11 Posts
There is a thread by someone explaining cleaning the throttle body. It talks about putting a cloth in the throat so debree will not go into the engine. Use spray designed for this procedure not carb cleaner is all I remember. Keep searching and good luck.

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Just did mine this morning!!!
Pretty simple procedure.....took me about 30 min, so as a first timer, it will take less than an hour for sure.
You need to remove the center top engine cover (Vortec 6000 logo printed on it) I believe it was 5/16
Next loosen the clamp at the throttle body......again 5/16. There is a long air tube from the air cleaner box and ends at the motor (throttle body)
Loosen it enough so it simply comes off (pry it alittle with a screw driver if it tight).
Next, there are two similar clamps located at the air cleaner box (one before the MAF and one after. Lossen the obe after first, and remove the entire air duct. There is a little tab where its connected to a clamp on one of the heater hoses....simply pry it off...it comes off easy. Lay air duct aside.
Now lossen and remove the last remaining clamp.....You will now have the MAF removed...with wire attached. Its a large round disk with a screen and sensors on the inside like little long plates.
Dont touch the screen or the sensors with your fingers although you may be tempted.

What I did was purchase a MAF cleaner spray from AZ $6.99 And a can of Throttle body cleaner $3.99. DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER.
I places an old towel on top of the air box and placed the MAF on top of it. I sprayed the MAF cleaner on one side till clean, turn it over and spray the other side until clean. Mine was not all that visibly dirty. Let is air dry.
Next take a peak at the throttle body. Place that same rag/towel you used to clean the MAF sensor and place in front of the throttle body so that anything that comes out after spraying will be absorbed by the rag when it runs out.
Simply give the throttle body several sprays of throttle body cleaner. If it real dirty, the excess run off will be black. Open the throttle boby with your finger (push from bottom half) and spray inside, removing what you can with the spray. I use a coffee can to spary about 1/4 inch of throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush to clean the entire sides, and the top of the throttle body itslelf, as well as the underside of the throttle "flap" Thats the piece that moves lol.....for the life of me I can't remember the real name for it. lol LEAF?????
When you are done, it should all be 100% clean. VERY EASY
Now just put it all back together....
Start it up, it may be alittle rough for a few seconds. it the gas hard a few times to blow out what was sprayed in.
30 seconds later it runs like new.
GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
BLADE SOUNDS MUCH BETTER THAN LEAF LOL:thepan:
I knew someone would correct me...............and quick
THANKS

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
i did this not long after i got my lade it ain't the hard to do but mine was as black as a ace of spades and i think i am going to have to do it again.

·
Registered
2004 escalade
77 Posts
I just tried this today all went well so I thought until I took a test drive now with the truck in park its always getting gas or wanting to move. While in park it idles smooth. And in drive it drives o.k but if I take my foot off of the gas it continues to move. When in park if I give it gas it will Rev normal then an additional small Rev at about 1500 rpm then normal idel. I hope I didn't ruin my tbi during cleaning.help

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
boge said:
I just tried this today all went well so I thought until I took a test drive now with the truck in park its always getting gas or wanting to move. While in park it idles smooth. And in drive it drives o.k but if I take my foot off of the gas it continues to move. When in park if I give it gas it will Rev normal then an additional small Rev at about 1500 rpm then normal idel. I hope I didn't ruin my tbi during cleaning.help
It may be that you need to relearn the idle position remove the neg battery cable for a few mins and then reconnect it and start the truck and let it run for a few mins to relearn the idle position

In the chance this doesn't work you may need to check the throttle body for something that has got stuck

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
If I'm tracking you correctly you're saying that the truck still moves forward even when it's in park? I can't tell because of your poor sentence structure and grammar.

·
Registered
2004 escalade
77 Posts
No. Sorry I was in kind of a panic. When in park the truck idles fine for the most part its when I give it some gas before the racy hits 0 or what ever # is park idle at about 1500 rpm the gauge ail do a quick jump then settle down. Its when its in drive and I don't have my foot on the brakes it will move forward at a crawl. I also took it on a longer test drive and noticed a feel as if I was driving with the cruise control active after a while it releases and will take a bit longer than usual to decelerate .also thanks cadillac manfor the tips I gave the battery a try to no luck it was rainy all day here so I will try a recleanig as soon as I can

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
boge said:
No. Sorry I was in kind of a panic. When in park the truck idles fine for the most part its when I give it some gas before the racy hits 0 or what ever # is park idle at about 1500 rpm the gauge ail do a quick jump then settle down. Its when its in drive and I don't have my foot on the brakes it will move forward at a crawl. I also took it on a longer test drive and noticed a feel as if I was driving with the cruise control active after a while it releases and will take a bit longer than usual to decelerate .also thanks cadillac manfor the tips I gave the battery a try to no luck it was rainy all day here so I will try a recleanig as soon as I can
The motor or linkage inside the throttle body may be getting wore out due to age I had to replace mine and I noticed the actuator motor is a lot quieter then the old unit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts