Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2000 ETC 1998 ESC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past year I have had an intermittent P0101 code pop up. Upon seeing it I would pull the sensor out, clean it, plug battery back in and the code would be gone from anywhere from a week to a couple months. I tried seeing if it was a vacuum leak but wasn’t able to find one. One thing I have noticed is it always comes up at a consistent distance. Usually when I am traveling to or from work. It is almost always at the exact same spot in the road where the service engine soon light will pop on. Not sure if that means anything. I am thinking it could be the MAF sensor itself going bad but figured I’d reach out before spending money on a new unit. It has leaned out twice and when driving with the light on it seems to shift harder. Thanks. Btw it is a 1998 Cadillac eldorado esc

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,035 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "plug battery back in". What other evidence do you need to suggest replacing the MAF?

·
2000 ETC 1998 ESC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha sorry that was awkwardly worded. I meant I had the battery disconnected and then reconnected. And I simply as asking for others opinions. I’m not too keen on spending another $150 after I just replaced the starter and the blower motor. But it is an old car I suppose😂

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
130 Posts
I hope you are using MAF cleaner to clean it and not carburetor cleaner. Carburetor cleaner will take off the coating on the MAF and mess it up unless you are lucky.

Roy

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,076 Posts
Pulling battery power clears the DTC's (temporarily). Once the fault is detected, the the DTC reappears. My guess is you need to replace the MAF sensor.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,374 Posts
P 0101 is MAF performance - the internal (electrical) circuits have different codes. Check the intake ducting at and after (toward the throttlebody) for cracks or leaks. ANY air leak at or after the MAF will set that code. (Maybe your MAF is bolted to the throttlebody)

Make sure the tiny heated resistors are intact - the leads are welded to the bridges and sometimes break off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts