Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where the MAF sensor is. I have a idea and it looks like it's held in with 2 Torx screws but I'm not 100% sure on it. I want to take the MAF out and clean it with some MAF Sensor cleaner I purchased I'm sure it's very dirty. Usually it's on or near the intake but I want to make 100% sure of where it is before I start taking sensors off.

If it does take Torx what bit does it take? Looks like T15?

Thoughts and ideas? Anyone have any diagrams or anything like that it'll be much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure? That would explain it. There's a sensor near by that looks like it I wanted to make 100% sure. If not I'll return the MAF Cleaner.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the FSM already.

I'm at work at the moment I don't carry it around with me.

Really no MAF? So then how does that work? It doesn't regulate the intake of air? Interesting, I've never heard of that on a Fuel Injected car before.

·
Registered
85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado
773 Posts
It is a speed density system. It uses the RPM of the engine along with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) reading calculated against the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) and the Manifold Absolute Temperature (MAT) to figure out the air flow through the engine. The Volumetric Efficiency of the engine is a known factor allowing this to be done. This is why on a speed density system it is ill advised to change anything on the engine that can change the Volumetric efficiency such as a cold air intake or larger valves etc. This would require a re map of the fuel tables in the ECM to keep things at top efficiency.

A Mass Airflow system can compensate for these variables much better as it doesn't rely on a set of fixed tables but instead measures the air moving through the engine directly. This also compensates automatically for changes in flow due to worn air filters and engine components. This helps keep the nasty gasses flowing out the back in check more accurately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts