Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
LS6 CTS-V
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeing as i'm new to the V there's a lot i gotta learn - hence the multiple posts-

anywho, i'm cleaning my Volant CAI today (gonna use a K&N filter cleaning kit) and i noticed the MAF has a screen on it. my 'stang had one as well but it was deleted as part of the C&L intake i put on (for even less restriction). I never experienced one problem. HOWEVER, I do know that the '03/'04 Mach 1's had the tendency to run dangerously lean when this screen was removed.

Do any of you have any experience with this? Have you removed it? Why or why not?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
not on the V, but I deleted the screen/straightener off of my GTP's w/o any problems. that was a huge screen and I did verify (via tune) that it didn't effect a/f

of course... that has no relevance here

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,717 Posts
You might have idle problems or off idle tip-in hesitation. Impossible to tune for since the sensor cannot measure accurately. Usually end up buying a new MAF since they cannot be reinserted.

Norm

·
Registered
Cadillac
696 Posts
I removed the screen. ZERO issues. Actually, to the best of my knowledge, Im making more power than anyone on here with my mods.

If you remove the screen, and ball it up, and see how much surface area it takes up....id say my flow was increased.

·
Registered
LS6 CTS-V
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ thats my point! mm&ff did an article on a Mach 1. by installing a cai and removing the screen, they picked up aprox 12hp but the car ran real lean. they reinstalled the screen and lost... i wanna say 9hp!

·
Registered
LS6 CTS-V
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might have idle problems or off idle tip-in hesitation. Impossible to tune for since the sensor cannot measure accurately. Usually end up buying a new MAF since they cannot be reinserted.

Norm
by "usually" do you mean you've seen this before or are you assuming that is what people must do?

·
Registered
Cadillac
696 Posts
ive had my screen removed for 50k+ miles.....DO IT if you want.....DONT if you dont.....the gains are neglible if any....but it does make sense if my head that I added area for flow....the screen balls up to take up at least 10% of the surface area of the MAF.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
^^^ thats my point! mm&ff did an article on a Mach 1. by installing a cai and removing the screen, they picked up aprox 12hp but the car ran real lean. they reinstalled the screen and lost... i wanna say 9hp!
Leaner = more power. Too lean = kaboom.

I've never seen a CTS-V run lean from a descreening, but I've seen plenty run like crap and have tip in issues (like Norm said).

The throttle body and intake tube are the biggest restrictions in the intake tract, not the screen.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
GM MAF sensors are calibrated with the air straightener in place.
If you remove it and put a CAI on it can generate turbulence which can cause the sensor to read inaccurately.
The biggest restriction isn't the air filter, it isn't the MAF sensor screen, it's the throttle body.
That MAF, even with the screen, can pass more air than the engine can ingest at WOT.

If you are on a dyno it might be fun to see 9 more hp, but you aren't going to feel it, and if it is worth being able to have bragging rights over being able to have a car that doesn't have added on driveability issues, then go right on ahead.

I'm not trying to say you are going to screw up your car, but from my personal viewpoint it is a waste of time and energy.
The '06 and up MAF's are descreened from the factory just for guys who can't stand having them in there. I have also seen '06 and up set codes with a CAI because of air flow measurement issues since the factory air box is now in charge of "straightening" the air.

·
Registered
LS6 CTS-V
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
meh. i'll just leave it alone. if i feel the "need" that bad later on, there are plenty of places that sell mafs w/out a screen (granetelli).

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
C5 corvette guys are always looking for new MAFs with screens. They don't go bad it's just they descreened and had problems.

Ask anyone on hptuners forums about trying to tune one without a screen. I put a screen back in my C5 and it has allot more direct intake tract.

You could always go speed density and remove the maf all together too.

Norm

by "usually" do you mean you've seen this before or are you assuming that is what people must do?

·
Registered
05 CTS-V Redline
136 Posts
NormV; You could always go speed density and remove the maf all together too. Norm[/QUOTE said:
I've got an '88 F350 wiyh speed density, runs like a truck, don't know if that's the right direction to go? :alchi:

·
Registered
Cadillac
696 Posts
Norm....02-04 z06's didnt come with maf screens....how do you go about explaining that? new c6 z06's dont have maf screens....apparently they are finding out, it is an unneeded useless piece of junk...all you need is a good tuner.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Sure, from the factory. But who takes their stock car in for a dyno tune?

The flat panel works well to even out flow. Throw on a cone style Vortex rammer like offered for the C5 and they create turbulence at low rpms.

The C5Z had different air box cover through the years with the extra hole on the cover getting bigger each release. Different computers where offered later years. Just like the V had completely different OS in 06-07. Who knows for sure. :)

Norm

Norm....02-04 z06's didnt come with maf screens....how do you go about explaining that? new c6 z06's dont have maf screens....apparently they are finding out, it is an unneeded useless piece of junk...all you need is a good tuner.

·
Registered
Cadillac
696 Posts
IMO

having more surface area for airflow outweighs the added turbulence when removing the screen.

Im making 386rwhp with K&N intake, kooks, no cats, no maf screen, magnaflow, and a dyno tune.

point is, a good tuner can tune a screenless maf. And taking the physics of airflow into consideration the amount of surface area that the screen takes up is significant and accounts for at least 10-15% of the area. If your saying that that signifcant of an amount doesnt matter.....then what's the point of increasing the diameter of our squeeze tube intake pipe....or what does port and polishing the material from a throttle body to increase flowable surface area matter.....your logic says it doesnt make a difference. I disagree.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The rule of thumb is to add extra full to the VE table by around +5 or less rather having the computer add fuel because the VE says there is not enough when might you need it. Your tune might be +15 to accommodate screenlessness. On a scanner at idle your fuel trim would show -15 with a max of 30.

Even driving style could over come the band-aid approach.

Of course your drawing more air with mods so the screenless maf on stock setup might be different.

Peak numbers do not apply when we're talking drivibility and street manners. :)

Norm

·
Registered
Cadillac
696 Posts
my driveability and street manners are fine. Better than stock.

Im basing my comments on my personal experience removing a MAF on a 2004 cts-v

Your basing your comments on an experience with a different car. That had a different intake tract, among many other things.

My tuner said my tune is a normal ls6 tune. theres no odd numbers to accomodate anything.

Im just saying....Ive been running like this for 50k+ miles....zero issues....making more power than most with my mods.

Whats there to argue, if thats the case? Apparently, removing the screen can be beneficial if your tuner is competent enough.

Maybe on a completely stock car, removing the maf wouldnt be a good idea. But if your getting a tune, its not anything to even waste time talking about....do it if you want to.....dont if you dont want to....

This is as debatable as a throttle body bypass, if you will - which is a waste of time arguing about

·
Registered
05 Raven V
951 Posts
seeing as i'm new to the V there's a lot i gotta learn - hence the multiple posts-

anywho, i'm cleaning my Volant CAI today (gonna use a K&N filter cleaning kit) and i noticed the MAF has a screen on it. my 'stang had one as well but it was deleted as part of the C&L intake i put on (for even less restriction). I never experienced one problem. HOWEVER, I do know that the '03/'04 Mach 1's had the tendency to run dangerously lean when this screen was removed.

Do any of you have any experience with this? Have you removed it? Why or why not?
Get a screwdriver and pop it off. Dont disturb the bars and springs on the inside. Ive done it to every gm LS engine Ive owned with absolutely no problems whatsoever. (note, you must use a gauze air filter for this, paper has a tendency to break apart..) Youll see almost the same gains as a "performance" mass airflow. If you tune for it, youll see the same gains. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts