Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
C'mon c'mon, give us details! Equipment, colors, wheels. Is it your first Cadillac?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for making me welcome here........ well, my newbie car just arrived at the dealer about an hour ago soooo......... I'm having to wait until tomorrow when they finish the make ready on it....... ok, tonight i'm taking a jog out to calm down........and then tomorrow...... yessss!!!

I hope I like the options and colors as much as I think I will..... it's the CTS w/1SC, Auto, Nav --- in Stealth Gray with Ebony interior....... I really think the Stealth Gray is more like a dark metallic blue...... reminds me of the Corvette I had when I was younger.........

Now I have to get re-acquainted with the best car wash and wax products to use...... is Armorall still the best for the rubber items and seats...... oh so much to learn and so little time to do it...... specially cause i'll be driving as much as I can the next few weeks.........
Are you all enjoying your CTS's? Let's hear it..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Meguiar's NXT is an excellent wax for the CTS and relatively easy to use....great shine and decent durability. Stay away from Armoral...it's crap compared to many other products available today. Any of the major names have excellent leather, rubber and plastic cleaning products...available at any auto parts store like Pep Boys. Get the NXT, you'll love it!

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I really don't like any of the Armorall products. Meguiar products is my choice. They make a nice pop up towel dispenser for interior leather. I use "Invisible Glass" on the windows with Bounty white no-print lintless towels.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
:welcome:
Congrat's on the new '05. I've had mine for 2 months now and the information you get from the members on this board is priceless. Ask, look and listen and things will be easier when you only do them once..... :cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the Deed Is Done.... she is mine, all mine....... I let out a gasp when i saw her on the dealer's floor........"excellent choice" I said to myself....... had a hard time concentrating on the papers I was signing, etc. and then I took off and alternated between listening to the excellent stereo and turning it off to listen to...... THE CAR..... as I gently drove the first few miles.........now she's resting at her new home...... and I keep checking her out....I've gone out to look at her and sit inside about half a dozen times so far......wow what a looker!!

Tomorrow I go to the auto shops to buy the car wash and polishing stuff......microfiber cloths?

---------------

Oh, one observation.... the car had 143 miles on it when I got it, after it was trailered in from another dealer.... I'm told it was not a demonstrator but that the owner of the originating dealer had been driving it...... I looked at it carefully and it truly do not find any obvious sign of wear....... the tag from the leather manufacturer was hanging from the driver's head restraint, the sticker was wet from being pulled off, and the dealer swears that is the reason for the miles.... and of course... "it was not mistreated".......hope the CTS is tough enough to handle it just in case.........oh well, forget about it ....... i'm really pleased with my new love........!! hehe

·
Registered
7 Posts
......microfiber cloths?
Use microfiber towels to wipe the car like if you see a smudge you want to wipe out and they are perfect for putting on wax and then taking it off. Don't ever use a regular dish towel, etc. it will scratch it up. Zainos is good stuff too. Congratulations on your new car!

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
584 Posts
Asking what specific products to use on a forum is like asking a 16-year old what actress / supermodel they would like to bring to the prom, everyone has favorites; these are my choices with budget and performance in mind and can all be found at your local Target / Stuff-Mart auto section.

If you want to help keep your finish swirl free you should never use old towels, t-shirts, diapers, etc on your finish. My list: virtually any brand of car wash soap ($3), 8-pack of 16" x 16" microfiber (MF) towels (8 for $6), two large MF towels ($7 ea), a fluffy rag looking wash mitt ($3), foam wax applicators ($3 for $2), large cheap sponge ($1).

I use two 5-gallon buckets when my car is filthy, one with clean water, the other car wash soap and water. After cleaning a section with the soapy mitt rinse in the clean bucket, wring out, re-dip in soapy bucket. Repeat as necessary. You can use one bucket if the car isn't too dirty. I use a large sponge for the wheels and tires, never my wash mitt, after the body is clean. Take the made in China tags off the microfiber towels and dry with one, finish drying with the other. Open all the doors, trunk, and hood and dry any wet spots.

For hand applied paint care products I'm hooked on Meguiar's 3-part Deep Crystal System: 1) Paint cleaner, 2) Polish, and 3) Carnuba Wax ($6 each). For your new car, I'd suggest just using the wax step (dealers never apply wax), apply with the foam applicator and wipe off with MF towels. Over time the paint will get dirty and you will need to use step 1 once a year, step 2 twice a year, and step 3 wax at least 4x / year (or monthly like me). Use a new foam applicator and MF towel for each step. CLean wax out of cracks with a soft toothbrush and clean off plastic bits with Meguiar's Quick Detailer ($5). This QD is also good for cleaning off bird droppings, bugs, greasy handprints, etc between washings.

To clean inside glass use a clean, wet terrycloth ($3 for 6) followed by drying with an old bath towel to get most of the crud off. Then spray with an amonia free glass cleaner (I like Stoner's Invisible Glass $4) and buff off using a clean MF towel - guarantee streak-free.

Interiors, I use Eagle One protectant ($4) on the plastic bits, let sit for 5 minutes, then buff off with a dry terrycloth towel. Leather, I like Meguiar's lether wipes, (3 will do the entire inside of your car), buff with a clean terrycloth towel. Wheels, I use Turtle Wax Wet N Black ($4), applied to dry tires with a small sponge, wait 5 minutes and go over again.

Throw all your towels in the washing machine (except the wax removal MF - wash in a bucket of hot water unless you want your shorts to have a coating of wax from the next load), run on hot water cycle, dry, and you are ready for the following Saturday.

All total, less than $75 for enough product to keep your car clean for at least a year, maybe two.

Welcome to our little club!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay louiefl99,

Thanks for your invaluable adivise. I went to Pep Boys yesterday, purchased the 3-step products from Megiar, the microfiber towels.... terry cloth towels, Turble Wax Wet N Black, and the Gold Wash from Meguiar, along with foam applicators, wash mitt, along with quick detailer and glass cleaner... wow my baby shines now.... like you wouldn't believe... that paint (Stealth Gray) is truly stealth, I didn't know how much depth was hiding under it! I spent like 3 hours washing and waxing...... ALL WORTH IT!

I'll stay tuned to this thread and others, hope I can return the favor to someone else.......

More adventures soon......... hi yo silver away............!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts