Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What type of computer do Caddy owners use?

• Mac (X or Classic)

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Windows (any version)

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Both

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Linux/Unix/Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys use. Seeing as how Cadillacs are premium products and Macs are seen as premium products (even though they're really not) I was just curious what the proportions were amongst the Cadillac community compared to the population at large. I'm the Technology Director for a non-profit organization so I'm just as big a geek as I am a gear-head!

Feel free to list your systems as well.

Please do not turn this into some flaming, this is better than that kind of thread. There are more than enough technology sites dedicated to that.

Main portable - 15" 1.25GHz PowerBook G4, 2GB RAM, 80GB 7200rpm HD
Main desktop - 2GHz x 2 PowerMac G5, 4GB RAM, 1TB (total) HD
Work desktop (just arrived last week) - 24" 2.8GHz Core2 Extreme iMac, 4GB RAM, 750GB HD (running X, XP, Vista, & Ubuntu)

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
5,329 Posts
Oh dear God... The Mac is the definition of a "care-free" computing experience.

I currently have a Mac-Mini desktop, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, and a Powerbook G4. Also an iPhone and 40GB iPod.

Switched over to Mac almost 3 years ago and never looked back. In those three years, I've never seen a pop-up advertisement. Never installed an anti-virus software. Never seen a virus, spam-ware, spy-ware, or trojan-horse.

You know why iPods are so popular??? Because they're easy to use... Same concept goes into their computers.

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
I'd run a mac...but PC parts are so CHEAP...you just can't beat a 6000+ AMD x2 x64 for 160$.....besides all my business software is PC only, and running the windows emulator on a mac just seems like a waste of time....I know pc's inside and out, it's a little to late now to get into a mac, even though I love them...just don't know the in's and out's of them....so I'll stick with what I know.

and currently

4600+ AMD X2 x64
2gb pc3200
150gb Raptor
320gb Maxtor
some crap vid card so I can use Vista in 'aero' mode

It gets the job done
Besides I use Windows media center exclusively with my Xbox360...Mac doesn't offer that...recording HD is nice ;)

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
I'd run a mac...but PC parts are so CHEAP...you just can't beat a 6000+ AMD x2 x64 for 160$.....besides all my business software is PC only, and running the windows emulator on a mac just seems like a waste of time....I know pc's inside and out, it's a little to late now to get into a mac, even though I love them...just don't know the in's and out's of them....so I'll stick with what I know.
:yeah:

I've been with Windows since the beginning of Windows '98, basically when I got my first computer. Compaq Presario Pentium III. Now I'm on my 2nd Vaio notebook. My first one was a monster of a laptop, with a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 stuffed in it. The problem is because of that, the battery lasted about 30 minutes and it produced enough heat to keep a small family warm. Now I have an FS840, bought it because it's better for college. Smaller, lighter, and bigger HDD. 1.73GHz Pentium M processor, and stays cool all the time.

If I find myself with an extra $2000, then maybe, just maybe I'll consider buying a Mac.

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
I'm on my fourth Mac since 1992, although I've been using them at work since 1990. I buy a new computer every five years it seems, and although I spend about the same amount of money, it's amazing how much more capable each machine is. Started with an LC II, then a PowerMac 6500, an iBook G4 and now a MacBook Pro.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Memory: 2 GB
System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.10

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
All 8 of my computers are running on Windows XP.
My wife's crazy tablet PC is the only one that has any issues.
She doesn't use it that much and if she would learn how to clean up her mess her computer would run a lot better.

I was using windows before windows was windows... if that makes sense to anyone.
If you think XP sucks I'll see if I can assemble my old windows 3.1 floppy disc set and you can install that for a while :histeric:

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
snip...besides all my business software is PC only, and running the windows emulator on a mac just seems like a waste of time....I know pc's inside and out, it's a little to late now to get into a mac, even though I love them...just don't know the in's and out's of them....so I'll stick with what I know......snip

Besides I use Windows media center exclusively with my Xbox360...Mac doesn't offer that...recording HD is nice ;)
:xbs:
Actually, a Mac is a computer for people who don't want to deal with Windows BS.

I too am a Mac driver - have been for more than 20 years, though I've worked with PCs over the years - build, maintain, setting up networks, etc. Still help some of the schools & dept of ed keep their systems running, imaging, etc.

People who've not previously used Mac need not be concerned - OS X is way beyond anything Microsoft has done & continues to get better - built on UNIX, it's robust & secure.

The system is very intuitive & there's very little by way of learning curve to worry about. Only the enjoyment of interacting with the best-in-class - Think Rolex vs Timex, Caddie vs Yugo, Mac vs PC.

And with the intel processors, there's no need to run Windows via an emulator - you can set up your machine to run both and choose which system you want when you boot up... A new Mac running Windows is in effect a PC & will run whatever PC software you choose to run. Or go with Parallel Desktops & have both operating systems runnning at the same time.

I have Windows loaded on both of my Macs - with website work, it's handy to have a Windows browser to check out appearance of work. It can vary depending on the platform. Also have some work-related databases built in MS Access. Other than that, I boot into Windows only when I've been very bad and deserve severe punishment.:halo:

Have a new 15" MacBookPro Intel dual-core 2.4ghz laptop & a Mac Pro Xeon 3.0ghz dual-core, dual-processor desktop unit.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
All 8 of my computers are running on Windows XP.
My wife's crazy tablet PC is the only one that has any issues.
She doesn't use it that much and if she would learn how to clean up her mess her computer would run a lot better.

I was using windows before windows was windows... if that makes sense to anyone.
If you think XP sucks I'll see if I can assemble my old windows 3.1 floppy disc set and you can install that for a while :histeric:
I've a full set, as well as a set of 3.0 - believe it or not one of the nonprofits I do gratis work for still has several beasts running these systems, as well as a couple of dos-only dinos...:eek:

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.. I told myself I wasn't going to get into any of this because I really just wanted to see what the proportions were here. In reality it all comes down to what you like because these days there's really nothing you can do on one that you can't do on the other. But still.. here's a few points to clear up.

I'd run a mac...but PC parts are so CHEAP...you just can't beat a 6000+ AMD x2 x64 for 160$.....besides all my business software is PC only, and running the windows emulator on a mac just seems like a waste of time....
:yeah:

If I find myself with an extra $2000, then maybe, just maybe I'll consider buying a Mac.
Since their move to intel it is very easy run Windows at native speed, either by booting directly or by virtualizatiion.

As I said originally, although they are seen as a premium product that's just not the case anymore. Sure, they don't offer a bargain basement $300 machine but when matching comparable machines spec for spec against other manufacturers they either come out the same or in some instances the Mac actually comes out cheaper, especially with the higher-end workstations and servers.

A Mac is a computerlike device for the dimwitted.... Dr. Emilio Bombay
So then that makes Windows a copy of a computerlike device made for the dimwitted...

Again, I didn't want this to turn into a flaming, this is better than that kind of thing. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses and it all comes down to a matter of personally preference. I was just interested in the numbers and what type of systems you guys are running.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Glasses !!!!!
Oppssss windows for me lol

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
PC, wish it was MAC.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Honeywell DDP-116 and everything runs in machine language.
Oh yeah - got my start with machine language - card-punch/read, tape-punch/read, FORTRAN & a number of other languages at Arizona State. Grew to detest the IBM 1130 (had another small machine we also used, but can't recall what it was).

The 1130 was so damned slow that we Air Force students would write & punch out our programs & sneak over to the university's computer center at night to run our programs on the mainframe. We did have tacit approval from our engineering dept advisor, but were told not to blab about it to others.

The mainframe could run a program in seconds that would take the 1130 close to an hour. Occasionally a miswritten program would result in a loop that threatened to bury the room in paper before we could bail out. Fun, fun...:)

Note the price of this pos in the link, pull it up to current monetary value - makes a modern PC or Mac seem an incredible value. And, of course, either is.

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/1130/1130_intro.html

http://www.msu.edu/~mrr/mycomp/ibm1130.htm

1 - 20 of 69 Posts