Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
none
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my heart set on a M3 sedan ( current BMW 3series owner) but after reading many reviews and watching online videos I'm starting to reconsider my options. What are common or known problems with the V that I should look for? Any known problematic items?

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Wagon
39 Posts
I have had several M3's and have driven the current M3 at least 5 different times trying as hard as I could to like it since I loved all the other ones. But, IMO it has no soul. It handles incredibly well but it just is not that exciting to drive. It lacks torque and feels like it has no power compared to the C63 and the CTS-V. I just bought the CTS-V Wagon and I have to say that I love it, the power is amazing and it handles very well but also rides incredibly well.

There is nothing wrong with the M3, it is a beautiful piece of machinery but it just didn't do it for me. I do think the BMW's interior quality is slightly better and the iDrive navigation, radio controls and integrated phone are more user friendly in the BMW. Even with all of that, I think the Cadillac is a way better value for the money. The engine and the suspension are amazing. ...just my two cents. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V Sedan
567 Posts
I bailed on my M3 convertible (which I loved) for my CTS-V. Best move I've ever made car-wise, period. The current V-8 M3 just didn't come close to the V for me.

·
Registered
07 Escalade, 77 CDV, 13 CTS-V Wagon, 06 911, 87 928S4
189 Posts
I came out of an M6 (E63 series) and don't regret it for a second. Electrical issues and other problems driven by engineering complexity induced me to unload the car before the warranty expired. Love my V-wagon although I do miss the sound of that E85 V-10 sometimes.

·
Registered
none
249 Posts
I came out of a 2008 E90 M3 sedan six speed manual. It was a fabulous car. I tracked it several times at high-performance driving schools. Unfortunately, I had not, I won’t say mastered, become confident with heel toe shifting in it. Therefore, I don’t think I fully got to appreciate its handling characteristics. I was too concerned with shifting than driving smoothly than hitting the turn in point.

I now have a 2012 CTS V coupe with the six speed manual. I tracked it four times last year. Maybe because I am heel toe shifting without much difficulty, I like the Cadillac better. Again, I am not Michael Schumacher, but I think the coupe handles a little better than the M3, perhaps due to the magnetic ride control sport mode. The M3 had three shock settings. The tightest setting, which BMW recommended for the track, was not as good as the middle setting for me. Many others agreed.

I had no issues with the M3. It had 50,000 miles on it when my lease expired. All maintenance was covered, which was nice. Interestingly, I averaged 14 miles per gallon with it. I never change the mileage indicator. I want to see what my actual average is over the life of the car. My CTS V coupe is averaging 14 miles per gallon! I drove the M3 in the same manner I drive the coupe. My 2008 C6 Corvette Z51 six speed averaged 21 miles per gallon.

No, I didn’t have both cars at the same time. I was able to get the Corvette’s lease assumed. I wanted to get a ZO6 because of the deals at the time. My dealership would not agree to do so. It told me I would be unhappy in a few months. A few months later, the Grant Sport came out. I then found the M3.

Because of the dealership’s attitude, when my lease on the CTS V coupe is up, I will look at the ATS-V, assuming there is one. If there is a CTS V available I might look at it but I think it will be somewhat more money than the present ones. If I am unhappy with those choices, then I’m going to look at the Corvette C7 because of the dealership. Hopefully, the ZO6 will be available.

Back to your question. I hated the M3's runflat tires and changed to Hankook Venrus V12’s. I am now putting them on my CTS V coupe (275/35/19 and 305/30/19 with 15 mm spacers at each wheel).

Of course on the track the coupe is an SR 71 Blackbird on the straights. (My 11-year-old daughter who helped me install the AirRaid intake system – which I highly recommend – and murdered the car by using Plasti Dip to black out all the chrome demanded that we name the car. After describing to her what the SR 71 Blackbird was we agreed on naming it Blackbird.) Of course, when coming out of a corner it also explodes. That is why I would recommend the CTS V coupe for those experiences alone.

The CTS V coupe’s brakes are orders of magnitude better than the M3’s. My instructors are amazed at how the coupe brakes. Because of that ability alone, they encourage me to keep increasing my speed. They also are astounded by its handling.

I really encourage you to go with the CTS V if for no other reason of the thrill you get when you mash the go pedal and the stop pedal. I also consider it the most beautiful car on the road. I will say that the E90 M3 sedan is also a fabulous car and in light of what BMW did with the M5 I suspect it will be the last true M3 to drive.

I have had no issues with the Blackbird. I have over 17,000 miles on it and the only thing I am changing are the Michelin tires, which still have tread in the middle but not the outside. I messed up my tire pressures at my first driving school so the outside edges are bald.

Hope this helps,

Jim

·
Banned
STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....
3,404 Posts
The only known problem with the V's is that they have a tendency to collect slower traffic in front of it when at speed. :stirpot:

In all seriousness, the members that have experience in both seem to have already provided you with solid information. Good luck on your decision, and we all look forward to another Cadillac Owner joining the community.

Had my heart set on a M3 sedan ( current BMW 3series owner) but after reading many reviews and watching online videos I'm starting to reconsider my options. What are common or known problems with the V that I should look for? Any known problematic items?
Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)
710 Posts
If you go with the V, you can have M3 owners coming up to you on track days asking if it is stock :) Every track day I've gone to, somebody in an M3 has come to ask why he is getting passed by a V!!!

·
Registered
none
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the comments, if i decide to go with the V it will be a used sedan or wagon. I have a 4 yr old son and would need the room, very undecided now......

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have the wagon and I love it because it hauls more than ass. I have 3 kids and they always ask to take it. I think it gets the most attention too. If you want a manual you might have to get a sedan. Used manual wagons are very hard to find.

·
Registered
2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
1,290 Posts
wagon wagon wagon wagon wagon

If you're considering both the sedan and the wagon, get the wagon. The extra room makes it a no-brainer. That way you can load up the back with a tons of stuff from a Home Depot run and blow away M3s while you're trucking it home.

WAGON. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V Sedan
567 Posts
I have the wagon and I love it because it hauls more than ass. I have 3 kids and they always ask to take it. I think it gets the most attention too. If you want a manual you might have to get a sedan. Used manual wagons are very hard to find.
"Hauls more than ass" may be one of the best quotes I've seen on here. Bahahaha!

·
Registered
none
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finding a wagon in Canada is next to impossible, so a sedan it will be if i decide to skip brands. I have VERY good relations with my local dealer because i was once and employee and i have many friends there, they would love to get me in a V so im starting to lean that way.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Thanks for all the comments, if i decide to go with the V it will be a used sedan or wagon. I have a 4 yr old son and would need the room, very undecided now......
Join us in the wagon club...very exclusive....very special....very fast....room to haul stuff. I see some of my wagon brethren are already trying to recruit you to the cause.

Just test drive a sedan (the driving experience is pretty much identical) and order a wagon.

BTW, "hauls more than ass" :rofl: is an accurate description for all three variants, but just imagine doing that in a family wagon-looking thing. Ultimate sleeper.

·
Registered
CTS V wagon
131 Posts
Ironically, the V just seems so much more exotic, especially the wagon. Makes BMW seem so banal.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
I have been able to drive a 335is, 335d, and M3 in the last year. They all felt about the same... it didn't give me the 'soul' the e36 M3 or e39 M5 did. I am saving for a CTS-V wagon (used of course). I drove a 2009 CTS-V sedan 2 years ago and constantly dream about owning it in wagon form. The E63 wagon is amazing but double the price and I do not think we are getting the Audi RS4 avant stateside. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts