Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in November, as holders of a Lyriq reservation, we were invited to a Lyriq "Reveal" affair in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

After an excruciating delay while we were forced to listen to a variety of corporate "suits" blathering on about nothing, while the audience was eager to lay hands on the display car, the crowd was finally allowed to approach, and approach we did.

In retrospect, I don't think the corporate intent was to allow attendees to actually sit in the car, but the crowd just overwhelmed the "handlers" and swarmed that beauty like ants on sugar.

My wife and I experimented with the touch-sensitive door handle, which, when caressed, pops the door open about 2 inches. Then you are required to grab the door edge through the small opening to continue opening further. However, instead of opening further, we decided to just close it back up, only to be met with a metallic "clunk" and resistance, and the door wouldn't close. We sought out one of the so-called technicians who explained to us that a rod protrudes to pop the door open for its initial 2" travel, and that rod doesn't retract until the door is opened a full 45 degrees or so.

We immediately envisioned our own garage, which, like many, only allows the door to open a good 10" or so before hitting the wall, and found ourselves wondering how this could possibly be a final design.

Then, just yesterday, I was watching a YouTube walkaround of the Lyriq.. wouldn't you know it.. the presenter demonstrated the touch-opening latch, then, as we did some 3 months ago, attempted to re-latch the minimally opened door.. wouldn't you know it... same metallic resistance, and the presenter glossed over it and moved on, leaving the door unsecured.

We are beyond thrilled with the prospect of receiving our Lyriq. I have done much research, considered and driven all the other viable competition, and am convinced that the Cadillac is hands down the most beautiful, elegantly appointed, and fully optioned bargain in the marketplace.

Nevertheless, I can't help but hope that some corporate minion is monitoring this forum and will take action to correct this very significant defect.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
1,056 Posts
Interesting - good observation. If really 45 degrees before the mechanism retracts (to allow the door to close) - that is pretty far.

Many vehicles nowadays have something like this with the frameless door windows. The window has to come down slightly before the door can open - so the glass will clear the frame on the car. Can't open the door until this clears - and various methods employed to ensure that. The ELR does this pretty good where the door handle is along side of the door in a cutout. Pressing in there pops the door latch (lowering the window first), and then you continue to pull open the door normally. Really just a single motion of grab and pull. Model 3/Y does it all via the main door handle, but that is goofy in itself how you have to get it to come out. The Lyriq seems to have made openning the door a two step process, with the added gotcha of needing to open the door wide before you can close it again. I'm sure you get used to it quickly, but could be problematic in tight quarters like you mention.

·
Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
4,041 Posts
Many parking spaces are tight and if there is another car or a post/wall such as in parkades that only allows the door to open 12-15 inches. So would that mean one has to back out with the door(s) open a bit...if so...not good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. I can't help but wonder if this is really progress... Going from a tried and true one step door latch to a complicated mechanism that requires 2 separate actions.
And, BTW, the 'grip' position for your hand inside the door had a crude piece of rubber,almost as an after thought.
”progress”...sigh

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
1,182 Posts
I'm just glad it offers illuminated door handles, that feature makes me smile every time I remote unlock my ATS and it has totally spoiled me. I can't imagine not having that on a car now, just too cool!

One thing I don't like about the Lyriq is how the lower sill line all around the bottom of the car (rocker panels, lower front/bumper cover fascias) are not body color. For some reason car makers have it stuck in their heads that making these areas black gives a vehicle more of a sense of 'offroad capability', like what Buick did with the Regal TourX wagon. Whereas if you look at the Opel variant of that same wagon, it looks far more sporty and elegant and premium. Maybe thinning out the body of the Lyriq was the motivation behind this aesthetic choice, but it really cheapens it in my opinion. The car looks good otherwise, though.

If someone gets one of these and lowers it on the right wheels, given its proportions I think it may just look like a wagon instead of a crossover which is what I wish Cadillac had done from the beginning. In that form it would be a way cooler, not to mention different, offering from what most others are doing.

·
Registered
Something electric
770 Posts
I was watching a YouTube walkaround of the Lyriq.. wouldn't you know it.. the presenter demonstrated the touch-opening latch, then, as we did some 3 months ago, attempted to re-latch the minimally opened door.. wouldn't you know it... same metallic resistance, and the presenter glossed over it and moved on, leaving the door unsecured.
Here's the clip, with the door latch nonsense starting at about 1:20...

·
Vendor
491 Posts
Back in November, as holders of a Lyriq reservation, we were invited to a Lyriq "Reveal" affair in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

After an excruciating delay while we were forced to listen to a variety of corporate "suits" blathering on about nothing, while the audience was eager to lay hands on the display car, the crowd was finally allowed to approach, and approach we did.

In retrospect, I don't think the corporate intent was to allow attendees to actually sit in the car, but the crowd just overwhelmed the "handlers" and swarmed that beauty like ants on sugar.

My wife and I experimented with the touch-sensitive door handle, which, when caressed, pops the door open about 2 inches. Then you are required to grab the door edge through the small opening to continue opening further. However, instead of opening further, we decided to just close it back up, only to be met with a metallic "clunk" and resistance, and the door wouldn't close. We sought out one of the so-called technicians who explained to us that a rod protrudes to pop the door open for its initial 2" travel, and that rod doesn't retract until the door is opened a full 45 degrees or so.

We immediately envisioned our own garage, which, like many, only allows the door to open a good 10" or so before hitting the wall, and found ourselves wondering how this could possibly be a final design.

Then, just yesterday, I was watching a YouTube walkaround of the Lyriq.. wouldn't you know it.. the presenter demonstrated the touch-opening latch, then, as we did some 3 months ago, attempted to re-latch the minimally opened door.. wouldn't you know it... same metallic resistance, and the presenter glossed over it and moved on, leaving the door unsecured.

We are beyond thrilled with the prospect of receiving our Lyriq. I have done much research, considered and driven all the other viable competition, and am convinced that the Cadillac is hands down the most beautiful, elegantly appointed, and fully optioned bargain in the marketplace.

Nevertheless, I can't help but hope that some corporate minion is monitoring this forum and will take action to correct this very significant defect.
Pre-Production vehicles. You can't base anything off of thesse vehicles. I have seen one in person and we were not allowed to open the vehicle due to it being pre-production.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
1,669 Posts

If you touch the touch sensitive door handle again the metal rod retracts.
Don't ask me how I know..
And Tesla calls it a Presenter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.