Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS 3.6 Raven Black
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done one, if so what problems would they come across, I know theres just a few things different.

Reason for asking was that I have my engine out because she blew up due to the lack of Freaking BURNT oil.

·
Registered
White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets
1,481 Posts
No nobody has done it,
Not many people here are looking to do anything bigger than an intake and custom catback.....

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
i wouldnt say they arent looking for it, its just there isnt anyone who is willing to pony up the $ for it when you can get a stock V for less than the cost of the swap...
i know some people dont want a V and would rather be unique.

·
Registered
2017 ATS 3.6l Premium Performance
112 Posts
i wouldnt say they arent looking for it, its just there isnt anyone who is willing to pony up the $ for it when you can get a stock V for less than the cost of the swap...
i know some people dont want a V and would rather be unique.
Would an Ls1 fit?

·
Registered
03 Cadillac CTS
37 Posts
Being that you need an engine to get your car running, I would say it would not be that much more of an expense. You would need more then just the engine. You would need the 3.6 llt engine wiring harness, ecm, maybe new motor mounts and other misc. things. It would be cool to see someone give it a go.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
Has anyone done one, if so what problems would they come across, I know theres just a few things different.

Reason for asking was that I have my engine out because she blew up due to the lack of Freaking BURNT oil.
I actually think this is a sensible swap if you can make it happen. Better mileage better hp, and torque. If I'm not mistaken they are boasting 31 mpg highway on these. The engine mounts are pretty much the same I think. You would have to swap out the ECM and wiring harness. It would be worth looking into

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Being that you need an engine to get your car running, I would say it would not be that much more of an expense. You would need more then just the engine. You would need the 3.6 llt engine wiring harness, ecm, maybe new motor mounts and other misc. things. It would be cool to see someone give it a go.
well here is the thing, if your engine is blown then yes this could be a sensible upgrade/repair, however to buy one and all the other parts to replace your current 3.6 to have a hp gain but not a significant one...well its hard to constitute 3-5 grand (just a guess based) for the engine... i dont know the exact hp numbers, but unless its pushing 350-400hp i wouldnt consider it.

also i have the 3.2 so this would not be as easy of a swap in mine.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Ls1 could work, heck go Ls6 if you have the funds lol just wiring harness, engine, V rear and driveshaft

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2003, Pontiac Trans Am S.E. 1977
210 Posts
There is an engine shop near me. If you give them enough money, they will do ANYTHING you want done to your motor. If you want that 3.6 you have to put out 500HP NA they will do it...for enough money. I plan to let them overhaul my engine when it finally gives out, if it does. It is hanging in there pretty strong.

·
Registered
2017 ATS 3.6l Premium Performance
112 Posts
There is an engine shop near me. If you give them enough money, they will do ANYTHING you want done to your motor. If you want that 3.6 you have to put out 500HP NA they will do it...for enough money. I plan to let them overhaul my engine when it finally gives out, if it does. It is hanging in there pretty strong.
With the favorable 5.3l Vortec, I'd certainly like to see this in a '11 Coupe. The block is VERY manipulative and there's plenty of after market out there that would be a happy fit.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Doing "swaps" like this in a modern automobile is a senseless waste of time and money. The software complications alone make this a near impossibility.

Sell the car without an engine, or put a replacement in then sell it, then buy a car with the features you want and send me the thousands you would waste on such a venture.
You'll still have all the time you would have wasted and you'll still have the benefit of losing all that money and ending up with what you wanted in the first place.
:lol:

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2003, Pontiac Trans Am S.E. 1977
210 Posts
Hey Orgy, if you are planning to go through the trouble of swapping an engine for a better one, why not put one of those V8 AMG motors in your car? They have their new 6.2 putting out 500+ HP, and their older engines are close behind it; you can get their 7 speed auto-transmission and their heavy duty rear-diff to go with it.

I was thinking of a similar swap my self. I want more refined power, but I don't want to lose my CTS looks.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Hey Orgy, if you are planning to go through the trouble of swapping an engine for a better one, why not put one of those V8 AMG motors in your car? They have their new 6.2 putting out 500+ HP, and their older engines are close behind it; you can get their 7 speed auto-transmission and their heavy duty rear-diff to go with it.

I was thinking of a similar swap my self. I want more refined power, but I don't want to lose my CTS looks.
A working 6.2L with trans and average miles will cost you the better part of $25,000 before shipping, accessories and the hours and hours of planning and labor that youll pay someone else to do. A non-working engine may actually cost more in the long run, since Mercedes V8's are so brutally expensive to rebuild and not for the average armchair mechanic.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Here you go! 3500 miles. Very little damage. No trans. $30,000. That kinda money gets you a brand new LS9 from GM that weighs less and makes alot more power, is allready supercharged, and leaves an extra 5-10grand in your pocket.
Alot of people dont realize how impressive the LSx engines really are.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-E63-CLS63-C63-AMG-Motor-Engine-156-981-6-2L-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c52c4962fQQitemZ190367176239QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
THANK YOU!!
Guys on the Vette forums(LSx powered only) A vendor was selling BRAND NEW LS6'S for $3300!!!! I got a nicely used trans for $1k you could have just about everything under 6, maybe, if you do the work yourself and wait for a good deal :thumbsup:

·
Registered
None
1 Posts
Soooo....going back to the the LLT swap. I thought I saw that txbest1980 was looking at doing this mod a while ago. I wasn't able to PM him since I don't have enough posts. From what the dealership said, the LY7 and LLT are the same externally, so I can't see fitment issues being a problem. Yes, the LLT is only used in the sig-2, but I don't think that should be an issue since the LY7 is used in the sig-1. I'm sure wiring will be a pain as usual, but again, similar enough to allow tying into dash components. Even VATS shouldn't be an issue. As far as the rear, 3.42 seems like the standard among CTS's, and I doubt that the rear should have any problems handling the added power. The suspension shouldn't need any work, since the weight of the engines is nearly identical. Even swapping out a 3.2 for the LLT shouldn't be an issue, but I'm just guessing. OK, now that I said all of this, and gave someone hope to do this, get to work!

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
OK, now that I said all of this, and gave someone hope to do this, get to work!
I was one of the guys looking at this. I had the LLT and the 6L50 in my garage (I still have the 6L50). These are assumptions weve allready arrived at. In fact, Ewill3rd commented that the electronics would be a nightmare. I think you should follow you own suggestion...get to work. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts