1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Cool article, I remember reading that when it was first published.

On a related note, does anyone have the 1996 Lincoln Continental v. Seville SLS v. 528i v. E320 article? I'd LOVE to read that.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love the dts especially the 2000-2005 body style as well as the new version. But the town car is riding on a nearly 10 year old design, so its no where near a fair fight. I don't understand why ford has done so little to keep the town car up to date with the deville. Maybe its because lexus blows both of them out of the water.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
It should have been DTS v. Continental, but by '03 the Connie was dead.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love the dts especially the 2000-2005 body style as well as the new version. But the town car is riding on a nearly 10 year old design, so its no where near a fair fight. I don't understand why ford has done so little to keep the town car up to date with the deville. Maybe its because lexus blows both of them out of the water.
Town Car is riding on a *30* year-old design.

I like both cars.... and comparing a 2003 DeVille DTS to a 2003 Town Car Cartier..... well, thats not really a fair fight... becuase first up, the DTS is the factory DeVille race car, its got the engine tuning, gearing, suspension and brakes that are set up for "touring" Not to mention the more sporty interior with floor shift and analog gauges etc...

Then the Town Car is the Cartier.... the most plush, softest seats, softest riding version of the Town Car. Handling and speed were not the primary objective on this car. IIRC a handling package could have been bought on that car, but I don't know if it has it, they were very rare.

Yeah, I can see how you are comparing a top of the line DTS to a top of the line Cartier..... but depending on what the reviwer is trying to get out of the comparison, then either car would win.

Example, if someone is really interested in the power of the DTS, the sporty(er) feeling, the better handling etc.... then obviosly they would choose the DTS.

On the same note, if someone was comparing them as a cruiser, seat the most amount of people the most comfortably, with the most amount of truck space in a car that really tries to isolate you from the outside world.... then the Town Car would be the winner.

Back in the '90's when Cadillac made the Seville, and then the rest of the line up somewhat followed, Cadillac chased after the European cars, while Lincoln stayed and remained the only brand that still made real, traditional American luxury cars.... I've gotta say, they have held on for quite a while, but with the upcoming death of the Town Car, that will be the last, as the rest of Lincolns fleet now has the sporty, nimble type handling that people want.

Either way, each car is great, and it was a neat comparison, but they are cars that offer a very different type of driving experience.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Maybe that's what they were going for? What is the better top of the line american luxury sedan? The cruiser or the bruiser.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Maybe that's what they were going for? What is the better top of the line american luxury sedan? The cruiser or the bruiser.
But in that case, its all about personal taste...... and that comparison could go either way depending on whos testing the cars. Plus, seeing as it was Motor Trend, I would figure they would opt for the power and handling anyway.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts