Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville, 1990 Deville
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help !! While under warranty my 02 Deville lumbar switch on the drivers side went bad. Replaced under warranty. Now my passenger side won't work. I brought car to the dealer and told them change the lumbar switch. Picked up car and lumbar seat did not work. I left the car there and told them they messed up. Seat does not work. Got a call and they said switch is OK it needs a motor !!! Holy Cow !!! this motor is always in good conditions and must get 1 hour of use a year. I told the service manager I don't believe that the motor is bad. As a matter of fact I told him the seat works if I push the button real hard, so it must be the switch. Well he insists they are right.
He told me a motor is $400 !!!! I said forget about it. Well, now I have to do something about this, so I think I'll just do it myself. My thought is to take out the motor that the dealer insists is bad and either get a salvage yard one, or have the present one repaired. I don't have much experience in removing seat covering. I did repair the seat on a Lincon I had and that was pretty easy.
Any experience in removing the seat covering to get the lumbar motor out?
Any words of wisdom on this job?
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
If you push the switch hard and the motor works, I would remove the switch and jumer around it to see if the motor is bad or not before doing anything to the motor. I bet you can use a small screwdriver under the switch sides to pop it out enough to jumer it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Anyone ever take off the backrest seat cover on a car like this? Isn't there an air bag in the seat? What do I have to do not to mess or have trouble with the air bag? Does the seat cover come off without a major operation?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still hoping someone out there has taken a seat apart and can help. I looked at the seat and I'm thinking the back of the seat might come off (the part with the map pocked in it). Anybody know before I start yanking the panal?

·
Registered
2018 CTS 3.6L AWD Premium Luxury, Previous: 2009 STS 3.6L AWD, 2003 DTS 4.6L
379 Posts
If you are only going to work on the motors, there is no need to worry about the air bag (it is on the side of the seat).

To remove the seatback, there are 2 spring type clips (one on each side) at the top of the panel that you need to depress to remove the it. Don't just try to yank it off. Slightly pull back the top corner of the seatback and use a flashlight and you should be able to see the clips, then use a flat bladed tool to depress the clips one at a time until they disengage and then lift the seatback up and off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You John. I thought it cant be that difficult, but a little information from someone with experience is always helpful. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts