Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol, I was just thinking about the car having no issues for quite some time now and sure enough, I go to adjust my drivers seat lumbar this morning and heard a loud "pop"...sure enough, it broke. Is there an air bag back there because now it just clicks...

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,262 Posts
Wow! First time I have read about this. Hopefully someone will pipe up who knows something about this. I would agree that it is an airbag of sorts. Are there any files to look at at gmpartsdirect?

·
Registered
2018 Audi SQ5
369 Posts
Very common situation (according to my dealer).

There's no airbag, it's just a plastic bar that gets pushed back and forth to increase / decrease the lumbar effect.

Mine made really a loud noise and I found parts all around the back seat. Wasn't fixed right the first time as they apparently had different back seat pockets, and they put the wrong one on, so once again, back to the dealer.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very common situation (according to my dealer).

There's no airbag, it's just a plastic bar that gets pushed back and forth to increase / decrease the lumbar effect.

Mine made really a loud noise and I found parts all around the back seat. Wasn't fixed right the first time as they apparently had different back seat pockets, and they put the wrong one on, so once again, back to the dealer.
Thanks, that's great info! I may just tackle this one myself but do still have the warranty... Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have the warranty why would you do it yourself?
Because I'm an idiot but want it done right...lol. Seriously, I want to try because I'm not sure if gmpp covers it and if it does, I have a $100 deductible. ( I don't really care about the deductible I just want it fixed correctly)

·
Registered
2018 Audi SQ5
369 Posts
Because I'm an idiot but want it done right...lol. Seriously, I want to try because I'm not sure if gmpp covers it and if it does, I have a $100 deductible. ( I don't really care about the deductible I just want it fixed correctly)
Nice info from 928S. Take a look at the parts prices - I'd try to get it covered if possible.

My dealer was able to fix it the first time (notwithstanding the seatback mess up), as it's pretty simple. Sunroof noises leaks etc was a completely different story.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
Mine broke and it is not a covered item on my cadillac CPO warranty - was quoted a little over $400 to fix it - I passed.

12,821 Posts
Jeffc83, sorry to hear about your unexpected concern! If you would like Customer Service to step in and contact your dealer on your behalf at any point, please let me know. As you know, I'm reachable via private message if you would like me to research further for you. (While you were searching online, did you already check out the GMPP official site? http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/contactus.html)

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
...I'm seeing conflicting stores on the gmpp coverage when googling it...it should be covered.
Mine broke and it is not a covered item on my cadillac CPO warranty - was quoted a little over $400 to fix it - I passed.
If jeffc83 has GMPP Major Guard and the repair is not specifically excluded, then it's covered.

"WHAT THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER

Unless required in connection with the repair of a covered part, WE will not pay anything under this Agreement for engine tune-up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubricants, engine coolant, drive belts, radiator hoses, heater and vacuum hoses, windshield wiper blades, air conditioning recharging, fluids, spark/glow plugs and wires, brake pads and linings, brake shoes and rotors, manual clutch disc, or any maintenance service or part required to be performed or replaced as recommended by the VEHICLE manufacturer's Maintenance Schedule.

Additionally, neither rust damage nor any of the following parts as defined by the VEHICLE manufacturer’s parts manual are covered under any circumstance: sheet metal, chassis frame, cross members, body rails, body panels or other body parts, bumpers, glass, carpet, weather-strips, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, tires, trim, convertible or vinyl tops, moldings, bright metal, upholstery, paint, exhaust system, catalytic converter, hinges, brake drums, shock absorbers, or batteries. In addition, the following are not covered: correction of air and water leaks, wind noise, odors, squeaks, or rattles."​

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the replies! I do have gmpp and also looked at the non-covered items...the lumbar is not listed. I'll call my dealer to find out but will not have them fix it if it isn't covered. Thanks again all! (Lol, bad time for this to happen as I'm looking to trade it in soon...oh well)

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
Jeffc83, here's some general info borrowed from the service manual:

Service Information
2008 Cadillac CTS | CTS VIN D Service Manual

Seat Lumbar Sub System Replacement (without Active Headrest)

Preliminary Procedure
1. Remove the front seat. Refer to Front Seat Replacement - Bucket .
2. Remove the front seat back cushion cover and pad. Refer to Front Seat Back Cushion Cover and Cushion Pad Replacement .
3. Remove the inflatable restraint side impact module. Refer to Driver or Passenger Seat Side Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement .

Front Seat Lumbar Subsystem Bolt (Qty: 2)

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice

Tighten
9 N·m (80 lb in)

Front Seat Lumbar Subsystem

Procedure
1. Disconnect the electrical connector.
2. Note the routing of the electrical harness for installation.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeffc83, here's some general info borrowed from the service manual:

Service Information
2008 Cadillac CTS | CTS VIN D Service Manual

Seat Lumbar Sub System Replacement (without Active Headrest)

Preliminary Procedure
1. Remove the front seat. Refer to Front Seat Replacement - Bucket .
2. Remove the front seat back cushion cover and pad. Refer to Front Seat Back Cushion Cover and Cushion Pad Replacement .
3. Remove the inflatable restraint side impact module. Refer to Driver or Passenger Seat Side Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement .

Front Seat Lumbar Subsystem Bolt (Qty: 2)

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice

Tighten
9 N·m (80 lb in)

Front Seat Lumbar Subsystem

Procedure
1. Disconnect the electrical connector.
2. Note the routing of the electrical harness for installation.
Thanks RAB...I'd have to take the seat out from what I've read. It got very busy at work this afternoon so I didn't get a chance to call gmpp or the dealer yet to see if it's covered. Now I'm hoping it is as I'm not too comfortable with removing an airbag let alone removing the driver's seat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts