Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
Una furtiva lagrima. Luciano touched many millions of people and brought an entire new voice to opera. I remember seeing a picture of him surrounded by dozens of African children who had never heard anything like the sounds he brought forth. The smiles and joy in their faces transcended all barriers. His volcanic voice and overwhelming personality will live on forever, thanks to his recordings and film....sadly and sorely missed, there's a songbird in heaven now...

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
" He sang until he couldn't sing anymore." We should all follow his lead and pursue our passions to the end.

"Many people die with their music still in them. Why is this so? Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out." Oliver Wendell Holmes

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
It's a huge loss for the music world not just for opera . I ain't keen on opera but he was a legendary person I think

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,970 Posts
I can remember concerts where he was singing encores from his hotel window at 4:00 in the morning. There were no electronics involved in his performances. He had a set of pipes that would overwhelm an orchestra.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Yes, Bono says that he spoke with him just last week and that his once overpowering voice had been "sileneced to a mere whisper". Sad to see him go but he lived a full and happy life. I have doubts whether Ill make it to 65, he made it to 71.

X

·
0 Posts
I saw him on tv once...He and two others did a performance together.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I feel honored to have been able to see him live with the three tenors.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,970 Posts
I feel honored to have been able to see him live with the three tenors.
There is no venue in Alaska big enough that even with a sellout it would have paid his fee. It's notable that the biggest crowd ever recorded in Alaska for any reason was a drag race in Fairbanks.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
i dont know, I am no connoisseur of opera, but I do have several Mozart operas on dvd and cd, and most of the performers on those recordings sound just as good to me. nothing against Pavarotti, he certainly is a world class vocalist, I just think he gets alot of props due to the fact he is the most commercially successful operatic singer. then I have to wonder what made him cancel nearly half of his performances with Chicago Lyric opera house.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts