Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade 6.0 V8 AWD
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a youtube video and a Tahoe owner used this Lucas Transmission Fix.
It has 4L60E on it as far as I know.
Anyone tried or have any experience on this thing?

Lucas Transmission Fix

·
Registered
2004 ESV
752 Posts
It will probably help for a bit, depending on what your issue is. But it won't "fix" internal damage, or if your clutch packs are burned up. It won't hurt anything, but just make sure you save for the upcoming transmission rebuild.

·
Registered
96 FWB
747 Posts
$11 might not seem much in hopes of a magic pill. You might consider searching on here and online with whatever issue(s) you're having to determine whether it's anything an add-in fluid even has the remotest potential of 'fixing'.

What exactly is wrong? Be specific.

Reactions: ardacavdar

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your answers.
I have similar problems with everyone but the problem is, my mechanic lead me in the wrong direction.

My Escalade was not used for about 5 years when I bought it.
My mechanic adviced me to put in Dexron IV instead of Dexron III in order to let transmission get rid of any bad fluid left inside.
Normally I never get out of what manual says but this time I trusted my mechanic.
He removed the pan and drained old fluid.
Changed pan gasket, transmission fluid filter and fluid with Mobil Dexron IV.
I had slight problems with my transmission but after that point they increased.

If I kick down, transmission also makes a huge noise and kicks me back so I never kick down now.
While it is cold and if I drive up a hill a scrape sound comes while shifting from 1 to 2 and I immediately take my foot from gas and it shifts normally.
When the transmission is at it's normal temperature, shifting from 1 to 2 sometimes slightly kicks and after driving about 15 to 20 minutes it passes.
Shifting from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 is interesting.
Rpm increases but it doesn't shift and increase speed.
It acts like it's in neutral. After acting like this about 3 or 4 seconds it shifts normally.
No problems with rear gear.

So, I decided to change transmission fluid again to Dexron III and adding this Lucas Transmission Fix hoping it will help me :)

·
Registered
96 FWB
747 Posts

So, I decided to change transmission fluid again to Dexron III and adding this Lucas Transmission Fix hoping it will help me :)
There is one and only one acceptable tranny fluid as of this date: Dexron VI. There are no add-in fluids that are supposed to be used. None. You (nor the mechanic) have done a proper "flush", merely replaced a fraction of the total fluid that sits in the pan. It takes nearly no tools to do a proper full flush to remove all the offending fluid and replace it with Dex VI, which in your truck may be several gallons. There's both YouTube and online How-To for the "alternating drain-fill from the radiator cooling feed and return lines full flush" routine. Do NOT use that mechanic again, and do NOT go to a shop that does the machine style flush.

You have a 15-year old GM truck with probably original Dex III fluid. That gen fluid was found to turn acidic so has been eventually replaced with current Dex VI.

There's urban legend and bigtime debate on whether dumping in all-new fluid to such an old tranny will "clean things up too much" and "erodes all the remaining clutch material off" thus causing all manner of sediment and material to clog all the valving and then fubars the tranny.

I think you're beyond that, so just get all the rest of the crap Dex III and IV out of the picture immediately with a proper flush to get a decent baseline.

A smart guy may happen by here and be able to zoom right in on what your symptoms point to.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

A smart guy may happen by here and be able to zoom right in on what your symptoms point to.
Thank you very much for the advise.

I didn't have a clue about Dexron VI and I know they didn't do a full flush.
I guess I'll have to deal with it and this is one of the best mechanic we have here.
May be I should start learning how to properly change fluids and help other GM owners in my country.

I have been watching many YouTube videos and I have some ideas on how to deal with these problems but the thing is, I don't know how bad my transmission is now.
Do you know about "Chris Fix" on YouTube?
His last upload was about how to change all fluids on a vehicle so may be I should do what he says step by step.

·
Registered
96 FWB
747 Posts
This was almost the first google hit using "complete transmission fluid flush", and there's more results to pick from:

The only variation to the instructions is to buy fluid for the exact full capacity of your truck plus 4 qts. Start draining as much fluid as possible into the bucket just until it sputters and quits draining. Then stop motor, add the same amount back as drained, restart and repeat until consistently VERY CLEAR fluid, OR, the total listed capacity of your truck, whichever is last. Return any of the extra 4 qts. not needed.

Even on a normal day most resourceful guys who want to keep their 15-year old vehicles running in tiptop shape will get a set of factory service manuals or a subscription to an online .pdf version to take over maint. and repairs from a shop, especially for work like this that's so easily done yourself. It becomes even more important (and effective) when you find talent generally limited or lacking in your market. Aside from ebay, here's one source for FSM:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have the complete service manual both soft and hard copy in my hand.
Again thank you very much for your help.

Will keep this post updated as I progress.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just in case, does anyone know a complete rebuild kit for 4L60E?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 ESV
752 Posts
When my transmission grenades, I'm going to go with a Monster transmission rebuild kit. It's going to be a bit pricey, but will hold over 600hp. They are here in the US, so I'm sure shipping would be a small fortune to get to you.

I know GM must have used the 4l60e/65e in countries near you. The Caprice lived on in the middle east and surrounding countries for years after we killed it in the US. I'd like to think you should be able to source parts somewhat locally.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
46 Posts
One possiblity is that you may have an internal fluid pressure leak in your transmission that is causing your problems. If that is the case, a newer, thinner fluid would make it leak a little worse. It can be caused by the seals themselves degrading, or due to the friction materials wearing to the point that the seals move past the point of the bores that they are meant to seal against. Many of the seals are internal and require a rebuild to replace, however there are some that are externally accessible (the server assembly).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I also thought about that but I decided to go with a flush.
It won't hurt I mean if I already need a rebuild I want to try flush first.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Understood. The best chance of improving it, without rebuilding it. may be to service the servo assembly with new seals and a longer servo pin. The servo seals can leak fluid pressure in all gear circuits.

Transtec 4953 Rubber servo seal kit
Sonnax 77787-02K Transmission Servo Pin Kit w/ Pin, 2 Teflon Seals and O-Ring

1 - 15 of 15 Posts