Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going, I am on another board of Sals and he asked me If I would mind posting this info here so of course I will. Since you guys have LT1's you are able to do this also, so here it goes. OK LT1 owners heres the deal, this is what you need. 1st the main kit, its availible from Pace performance for $2,300. This is the Heads , cam kit, Intake and all gaskets. 2nd A 58mm throttle body would get the most out of the kit, around $350. 3rd a good set of headers, this kit like flow, anywhere from $200 - $700 (depends on how nice you want'em). And last but not least a new PCM programing, prices vary shop around. So in all how does an extra $3,750 sound for 425 hp. And yes if you cant do the work well add in labor. NOt bad for the price HUh, no thoses rolling couchs can have some real balls :D. And dont worry not knocking the Caddies, I call them couches with Balls.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
So what do you LT1 Fleetwood guys think of this? The LT4 is a pretty insane engine.. It certainly would be nice to have the equivalent (did I spell that correctly?) in a Fleetwood...
There's several "kits" like that available to do similar hop-ups to LT1s. The problem is that doing the "kit" that Fats84z mentioned will actually cost far more than he near 4K he mentioned. To do that kit "complete" with even the "average" amount of labor would be at least DOUBLE the amount he mentioned. There are far easier (and cheaper) ways to get to 400hp. Hell, my car with 75-100hp shot of nitrous hits that mark easily. Total cost approx. $600.
I disagree with anybody that believes it's hard to get a LT1-powered B or D body car to go fast. It's actually fairly easy. Matter of fact, I have a freind that is running 13's with an Impala SS and only "bolt-on" mods. If properly setup and driven, these cars have far more potential than most people give them credit for. I know my FTS has made a lot of believers out of skeptics.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey Saint,
Your engine isn't even broke in yet on your 96' is it? :coffee: I would consider maybe boring and stroking an LT1 at "rebuild time" and dong the LT1 edit program to the pcm and upgrading the exhaust along with porting and polishing the heads and changing the rear end gears to 3:73s but thats about it for me > I would want to keep the car drivable for road trips :spin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Katshot said:
There's several "kits" like that available to do similar hop-ups to LT1s. The problem is that doing the "kit" that Fats84z mentioned will actually cost far more than he near 4K he mentioned. To do that kit "complete" with even the "average" amount of labor would be at least DOUBLE the amount he mentioned. There are far easier (and cheaper) ways to get to 400hp. Hell, my car with 75-100hp shot of nitrous hits that mark easily. Total cost approx. $600.
I disagree with anybody that believes it's hard to get a LT1-powered B or D body car to go fast. It's actually fairly easy. Matter of fact, I have a freind that is running 13's with an Impala SS and only "bolt-on" mods. If properly setup and driven, these cars have far more potential than most people give them credit for. I know my FTS has made a lot of believers out of skeptics.
OK now I guess I am going to have to say this again as I did in my own forum, The "kit" that I mentioned is only $2329.00. If you dont want to believe me get the Pace Performance Catalog and look at it with your own two eyes. The "Kit" includes the heads, intake, cam, lifters, rollar rockers and gaskets to do the conversion. I am not going to argue with you about something you obviously havent seen. And sorry I would rather spend the 3500 to 4000 and have the power all the time instead of filling a Baby bottle, please run nitrous and kill your motor every spray that much more. To those who would like a catalog you can get one from www.paceperformance.com. I personally really like the catalog for the GMPP parts. I use either them or Scoggin Dickey; They are www.sdpc2000.com. Like I mentioned I am not going to argue with you just look with your own two eyes. Oh BTW for 4000 you can get a worked to the balls 383 long block with close to 500 hp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I have a friend whopse Impala SS that runs low 10's with a 383, LT4 intake, Heads and a cam. Pretty little family car!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Don't mind Katshot....His opinion is ALWAYS the final word on any subject! ( If he's wrong....He'll just wear you out arguing the point till you give up! )

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Fats84z said:
Also I have a friend whopse Impala SS that runs low 10's with a 383, LT4 intake, Heads and a cam. Pretty little family car!
Could you add a Powerdyne supercharger to this set-up?

I plan on doing some of this stuff as soon as my '96 is broken in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
SoundAdvantage said:
Hey Saint,
Your engine isn't even broke in yet on your 96' is it? :coffee: I would consider maybe boring and stroking an LT1 at "rebuild time" and dong the LT1 edit program to the pcm and upgrading the exhaust along with porting and polishing the heads and changing the rear end gears to 3:73s but thats about it for me > I would want to keep the car drivable for road trips :spin:
Your right, boring and stroking can wait till last. But I will start doing some other things one at a time pretty soon.

IMHO, the stock suspension was already over powered by the stock HP. The handling at 80mph, or lack of, on the freeway was just plain scary. So my goal has been to upgrade the suspension so it can handle any additional future power mod's. This also has the side benefit of making it look better too!

I've got two more things to tweak on the front end, before I start messing with the drive train. Although I think the stereo might be next. Looks and sound, then we race.

I think a brake upgrade before seriously increasing the performance would also be wise.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fats84z said:
Oh BTW for 4000 you can get a worked to the balls 383 long block with close to 500 hp.

I am not arguing with you.

I just want to know where... Where?

I blew the motor in my 96 SS a couple months ago, and have been looking ever since. I have found too many options to decide. All that match your description need a couple thousand more $ added to your price.

Like I said I am asking Where? I got money I want a motor. I have been thinking about buying a used 20k mile 4 bolt 377 for $4500. Motor made a '95 SS w/ 3.73s and a 2400 stall do 12s.

If you can show me where I can get what you describe, that would be great.

Here is a pic of it.

Here she is in action.

After that you may say "No wonder your motor blew". Well that sucker has 185k miles on her and has one, 1, ONE dent caused by the installers of my Tri-ys, on the same day the motor let go. She was probably in F-ing shock like I was! Also, exactly 3 tiny paint chips. Operator error made her rev to 6700+ to many times.

So, I will then will re-do the SS motor and put it in the Fleetwood, or maybe put it back in the SS and put whatever in the wood

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
You guys got me wrong. I'm not trying to sell ANYONE on doing what I did. All I was saying is that there's more that will need to be done to the motor and drivetrain than just the few parts he mentioned, and most if not all people here would need to PAY someone to do most, if not all the work. Furthermore increasing the tab on the project. I've seen many people do that kind of thing to their car and watched them FREAK as the budget ballooned to far more than they ever anticipated. Taking that in mind, I felt that 400hp was not much for the money. I wasn't calling anyone a liar or even trying to argue with him. I was just trying to point out some things that he left out, or possibly an alternative or two.
But thanks for jumping all over my post BUDDIES :rolleyes:

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Katshot said:
You guys got me wrong. I'm not trying to sell ANYONE on doing what I did. All I was saying is that there's more that will need to be done to the motor and drivetrain than just the few parts he mentioned, and most if not all people here would need to PAY someone to do most, if not all the work. Furthermore increasing the tab on the project. I've seen many people do that kind of thing to their car and watched them FREAK as the budget ballooned to far more than they ever anticipated. Taking that in mind, I felt that 400hp was not much for the money. I wasn't calling anyone a liar or even trying to argue with him. I was just trying to point out some things that he left out, or possibly an alternative or two.
But thanks for jumping all over my post BUDDIES :rolleyes:
Well.. He DID say:

$3,750 for 425 hp. And if you can't do the work add in labor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sal Collaziano said:
Well.. He DID say:

$3,750 for 425 hp. And if you can't do the work add in labor.
Thanks Sal and the rest of you guys for backin me. I have spent far too much time in my short life studying camaros. The Lt4 set up yes you can super, but I would reccomend ATI Prochargers. These kits have higher boost that is safer by using an air to air intercooler (which is included). If you want another way to get 400 hp, find out the diff between an Inpalla ss and the fleetwood's engine bays. You could probably use the Impallas ATI kit, again you are talkin aroungd 400 hp, using more-or-less bolt on idems. With the intercooler you boys can run 10lbs of boost no prob and hit those mark.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since you've been back and not answered, I'll ask again...

deanstud said:
I am not arguing with you.

I just want to know where... Where?

...........Like I said I am asking Where? I got money I want a motor. I have been thinking about buying a used 20k mile 4 bolt 377 for $4500. Motor made a '95 SS w/ 3.73s and a 2400 stall do 12s.

If you can show me where I can get what you describe, that would be great.

·
Registered
433 Posts
deanstud said:
Since you've been back and not answered, I'll ask again...

Dean, I say give Seth and Sam a call at Combination Motorsports and see what they can offer you. :)

http://www.cmotorsports.com/

I got my valvesprings and a few other things from them. They're great to work with.

Also, your post on the SS forum has a couple good suggestions in it too... Those budget strokers looked pretty good. :)

OR... You could just bring it to a machine shop and have it checked out. What exactly happened on yours? I'm guessing rod bearings? Maybe you could just get the crank cleaned up and install new bearings, get the cylinders re-crosshatched and reuse your rotating assembly? The stab in a Crane 227 cam or something similar. Do a little home porting/gasket matching of your stock iron heads and a set of roller rockers. A friend of mine in my local club just did this recently for his 9C1 for about 1600 bucks and he absolutely loves it! He's confident it's a 13 second car now. His is t56'd but the 227 (or even the zz4 ;) ) will work well with the converter you already have.

Just my two pennies. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am not positive what is wrong with the SS. it started a low thuding knock. I had to drive maybe 150 more miles keeping it under 2k rpm, then in a distracted moment i went up to 3k and it started to be a much sharper bang. I had it towed the rest of the way home rather than loose the motor completely.

I was planning to get some super fancy motor and replace the SS motor. Then over who knows what amount of time, redo the SS motor and then put it in wampuSS.

But, reading the cam in OBD2 thread is making me think that a super duper stroker motor won't work emissions wise in my 96 SS.

If that is the case, maybe I'll do the Fleetwood since it is a 95, and just freshen the fleetwood motor and use it in the SS.

I dunno I have been wishy washing over it for a couple of months.

That is why I lean tword this local guys 377. It made his 95 SS do 12 sumthing, so it is right here and conveniant....

·
Registered
372 Posts
First off. I believe the Chevy dealers now have 383 strokers available in a crate for less than $3800 including the latest aluminum head castings.

The 377 is a desroked 400 block using the std 4.125 bore and a 350 crank at 3.480. Special main bearings and/ or spacers are required. Th 383 uses the 400 crank at 3.750 with std 4 inch bore 350 block taken to 4.030. The main journals have to be machined down to 350 journal diameter. Rod journals are the same diameter on both.

I built both before and for almost all heavy vehicles the 383 was the favorite. Most of my 383's used mildporting on iron heads and mild cam timing increases . I used Competition Cams and they worked fine.

Cubic inches (i.e more torque at lowere rpm is usually more important than small inch hi rpm horsepower, for street use, when the vehicle is heavy, such as Pickup trucks or the Fleetwood.)

Have a ball and keep posting, but do check out the crate motors now available thru the Goodwrench program at many GM dealers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
ljklaiber