Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. This doesn't happen most of the time - but once in awhile I hear a moderate tick from my engine for the first 10 seconds or so of driving.. What could this be and why would it happen?

Thanks in advance...

Sal

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
The engine may tick for a wee while due to oil pressure building up...... I wouldnt think its something too terrible, much less something to worry about......

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Depending on where it is sometimes an exhaust leak can make a ticking noise. Ive got that on one of my cars. If you start it with the hood open can you hear where it's coming from?

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd open the hood to see but it happens so rarely... Ya know? I'm guessing it's probably nothing serious but since I plan on keeping this car for a long, long time - I just want to be sure...

Thanks, guys.. If anyone else has any thoughts, please let me know...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
I don't think it's a lifter..

Come on, now.. We've got a ton of LT1 Fleetwood guys here and I'd like to get more input.. Anybody?
It may be a cracked exhaust manifold. It's a VERY common trouble on the LT1's. Also, make sure all the bolts are still in the exhaust manifolds. It's common for them to back out, but usually they just break. :(

Take it from me, I have a broken bolt in my driver's side head. If the flanges weren't so damn thick on my headers, I'd be slightly more concerned about it. ;)

·
...Reloaded
1,698 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
But if it were that, wouldn't I hear the tapping all the time? Thanks for replying! :)
That *might* be true, but on the other hand, as the metal heats up it expands. A small leak might actually close up enough to get rid of the noise. And the exhaust side does heat up pretty fast...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Howard's right that a minor exhaust leak can actually be self-sealing thanks to thermal expansion. Chances are it is a lifter though if it only lasts for about 10 sec. The air pump will be on for more than 10 sec and an exhaust leak will usually last more than that too. It IS possible that it's the belt. Have you gotten an oil change yet?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
5w30 synthetic.. That's pretty thin, right? I'm PRETTY sure it did this before the oil change also...
That's the same oil I use. Maybe 10w-30 dino would be better in some ways but what Sal's using probably isn't a factor in the ticking noise. Any decent mechanic should be able to ID the source of the noise as soon as he hears it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its a cracked passenger side exhaust manifold.

Trust me. I've owned more than one or two LT1 vehicles and its always the manifold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check your manifold bolts first. Manifold issues are common. Hopefully you only have a couple of loose bolts. Don't overtighten, torque to spec in FSM. Broken manifold bolts require PB Blaster and "special" MAGIC WORDS. If any bolts are missing use GM replacements with high temp (copper) anti seize. D.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Okay. This doesn't happen most of the time - but once in awhile I hear a moderate tick from my engine for the first 10 seconds or so of driving.. What could this be and why would it happen?

Thanks in advance...

Sal
Hey Sal, have you checked the running engine in the dark to see if there might be an ignition short that clears up once the compartment is hot - no dampness.
Regards
Jim Knox, 96 Flt Br

·
Registered
172 Posts
My guess is cracked exhaust manifold. Had the same sound on my impala ss. When I yanked the motor the right side exhaust was cracked. It would tick until it got warm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
Billy94Z