Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Base Deville (Totaled, RIP) , 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I cannot figure out what the pulley to the left of the aluminum water pump and below the alternator is. Its making a loud squealing noise and it needs to be replaced but I can't replace it if I do not know what its called. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,159 Posts
On the left of the pic (right of the engine) from top to bottom: alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor. Check your power steering fluid level. You sure it isn't the tensioner? The little pulley between the AC compressor and the balancer.

pic.jpg

·
Registered
Orange And Purple Lights.
6,632 Posts
The Power Steering Pump seems to be the one you refer to, but I agree with Jay. It could be the tensioner.

This is yet another reason I cannot stand serpentine systems.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,608 Posts
The serpentine system has its good points and bad points just like a seperate belt system.. What I find about the idler pulley is it can make two different sounds.. one being a bad bearing.. When it starts to make that noise its only going to get worse till it breaks... The second anoying noise is from the spring inside the system..I'm guessing from when the pulley moves up and down the spring rubbing on the body of the aluminum casting makes a scraching noise....I'm thinking a bad belt is the main reason for this problem.. I have replaced these idlers with aftermarket ones , but they are not the quality of original...I have taken the originals apart cleaned and greased the inside and put on a new bearing...

·
Registered
1995 FWB 130.*** miles
2,281 Posts
For some reason, tensioners fail quite often on LT1. It is the third tensioner on mine with only 100,100 miles on the odometer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts