·
Registered
Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Good info. I wish they posted a tech article that simply showed the difference between the ZL1 and CTS-V engines besides the power steering pump differences. That is the only difference I can really see.

·
Registered
Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Click on the exploded view of the engine and you can see a good deal of detail.

·
Banned
Stolen XLR-V
78 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'd like to see the underside of the hat. Looks like they tried to split the air in half with that hat design. Here is a pic of the stock lower blower case/manifold from a CTS-V blower we had apart.

Looks like there are quite a few extra blot holes for the hat on the ZL1. Other than that the lower is almost identical.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto
455 Posts
Seems like it's going to be a hit with the Camaro crowd. Looks as thought they just took all the bits offa the V and slapped them onto the Camaro. MR shocks too.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
Looks like the Camaro's LSA will be built in the Wixom Performance Build Center, where the LS9, LS7 and dry sump LS3 in the manual Corvette Grand Sport engines are built, rather than in Silao, Mexico where the V's LSA engines are built.
http://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/general/oshawa-built-camaro-gets-nascar-treatment-22964
GM also announced yesterday that the Camaro LSA will also get the process known as "Deck Plate Honing"
http://media.gm.com/content/media/u...content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Feb/0214_camaro

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Well they better start using " deck plate honing " on the V's also otherwise it will be a shame that they wont use the process on their higher end brand.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Well they better start using " deck plate honing " on the V's also otherwise it will be a shame that they wont use the process on their higher end brand.
Exactly! Shouldn't Cadillac get the high end treatment, if anything? Would it be cheaper for GM to simply build one engine for both cars?

·
Registered
2009 CTSV, silver, manual
213 Posts
Exactly! Shouldn't Cadillac get the high end treatment, if anything? Would it be cheaper for GM to simply build one engine for both cars?
You would think they will be the same motors. I would not be surprised if the revisions on the ZL1 LSA motor are a preview of what will be the 2012 CTSV LSA. HP figures are not announced for the ZL1, but I also would not be surprised if there was a small HP bump for CTSV also due to these incremental improvements, primarily the revised supercharger design.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
You would think they will be the same motors. I would not be surprised if the revisions on the ZL1 LSA motor are a preview of what will be the 2012 CTSV LSA. HP figures are not announced for the ZL1, but I also would not be surprised if there was a small HP bump for CTSV also due to these incremental improvements, primarily the revised supercharger design.
I think you are right. GM usually does that and building two different engines doesn't make sense. I am sure there will be a slight bump in HP and TQ. Sucks for everyone that bought 09-11 CTS-Vs. Heck, my 2011 CTS-V Coupe is in transit to me as we speak. Oh well. Good thing I leased it!

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (MG9)
280 Posts
I think you are right. GM usually does that and building two different engines doesn't make sense. I am sure there will be a slight bump in HP and TQ. Sucks for everyone that bought 09-11 CTS-Vs. Heck, my 2011 CTS-V Coupe is in transit to me as we speak. Oh well. Good thing I leased it!
Yeah, it sucks for those that have been enjoying their cars for about 4 years before this comes out...:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
hmmm very intersting to see if it makes alil more power..i didnt expect it to. but i didnt relize they changed the blower alil.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
Yeah but by that time I can say I have had my v for almost 2 years and didn't pay as much as the camaro cost new :)

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
816 Posts
Good to see the Camaro getting some serious GT500 fighting power levels, but I'm not exactly bummed by this news (as a CTS-V owner). I paid big discounts on my "V" (likely less than fully loaded ZL1's will be). Like others have said, I've also got 18+ months of enjoyment under my belt. I also like that they'll likely help lower the cost of aftermarket parts for the LSA drivetrain.

This car also doesn't come with an auto trans and a few considerations dictated that this car had to have an auto, so the CTS-V for me is still the better choice. The ZL1 would likely have to replace the 2004 Cobra in my garage (it's mission is more similar to my Cobra than my Caddy) and as much as I think this car will kick ass, I wouldn't sell my Cobra to get one.

By the time they hit the streets I should have a bunch more tenths shaved off my "V"'s 1/4 mile. Gonna take a stout ZL1 to take out my Caddy, and an even stouter one to down the Cobra. Good car for Chevy, but certainly no regrets on my part.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts