Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's do you have? How do you like them and what are the net results? Thinking of maximizing my next mod.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
W4me's ported heads. They worked great for me =) . Although Jesse showed me how some of the factory heads from the newer v's have pitting in them !

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Besides my newest dyno nope. I dont think anyone has done a a dyno before and after just heads. If you're pulling heads you usually do cams, etc.

·
Registered
1958 Coupe DeVille
591 Posts
By doing the heads, I had heard that you lose at the low end power curve, but pick up at the top end. Any truth to that? It may pertain to turbo's rather than a SC. Cecil..................

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
W4me's ported heads. They worked great for me =) . Although Jesse showed me how some of the factory heads from the newer v's have pitting in them !
No reply from up there. I'll just get with a local porting shop and build a fresh setup.

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
You will not loose any hp from putting on ported heads. I have tried this many many times to make sure...

Heads only on a bone stock car was 11hp. Not much at all. But in stock form they arent a restriction YET.

However, once you start adding boost, and different camshaft, then that is where the restriction on the head starts..

Expect 25hp restriction at 625 hp level of flow..

30hp at 650,

and oddly, every 25 horsepower on the engine, it was 5 held back from heads. All the way past 700. Then it changed to 7hp per 25.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
If the vehicle is n/a then you would see more of a gain, but forced air makes things flow better.. ;)

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
However, if you use a different type of head, like C5r or ls7 you will see higher gains, as you gain from better valve angle, better flow, and different bowl. Also different valve sizes... But those dont always work well with a small bore size...

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is about what I thought from the flow numbers and results I've seen. Drum will be running with a different casting. :shhh:

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On a tangent- those with ported heads, is your cruising as mileage suffering?
Mileage generally goes up across the board because the engine is more efficient with ported heads and all cars I've worked on. There is no real down side to ported heads.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have ported heads on the V but right now I'm getting 23+ at 75-85. On my last tank I got 20 combined and I run 10:60's (That is until next weekend) :)

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
211 Posts
.... I get 18 :( and my car is not nearly as fast as yours. Just a flash on stock parts. Guess I need a dyno tune after the rest of my parts.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's pretty cool what a good tune can do. 10:3X without heads or headers this coming weekend? I hope so. What can "The Rooster" (Drumstix) run with full bolt ons on a stock short block and TVS 1900 and no NOS? Hmm. That may have to wait until fall since it's getting hot but I have an idea. :sneaky: Ye all shall sheet yourselves. :yup:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts