Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Before I run off and buy an OEM LS7 clutch kit ($225) and 20 lb F1 Racing Prolite chromoly flywheel ($245), I wondered if I could do a sanity check so that I don't get my transmission off and get stuck due to lack of proper parts. I'm mostly following this guide.

Extra things that think (?) I need:

1. 4x Torin T46002A 6 ton locking jack stands (24" max height)
2. Transmission adapter for a standard hydraulic jack
3. Craftsman 20-150 ft-lb torque wrench.
4. Redline MT90 or Royal Purple ATF fluid.
5. A good creeper (recommendations?)
6. New slave cylinder / master??
7. Remote bleeder??

If someone would explain the last two, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,786 Posts
Hey,

Before I run off and buy an OEM LS7 clutch kit ($225) and 20 lb F1 Racing Prolite chromoly flywheel ($245), I wondered if I could do a sanity check so that I don't get my transmission off and get stuck due to lack of proper parts. I'm mostly following this guide.

Extra things that think (?) I need:

1. 4x Torin T46002A 6 ton locking jack stands (24" max height)
2. Transmission adapter for a standard hydraulic jack
3. Craftsman 20-150 ft-lb torque wrench.
4. Redline MT90 or Royal Purple ATF fluid.
5. A good creeper (recommendations?)
6. New slave cylinder / master??
7. Remote bleeder??

If someone would explain the last two, I'd appreciate it.
2. That is cheating! Haha I just used some rags on my floor jack and bear hugged the bitch out of there. (I Like that though)
5. Creeper is optional IMHO. For a clutch swap on your garage floor I say NO. The reason is that if you get the V up high enough to use a creeper it will be more difficult to ge the trans out/in. Of course that is just my opinion though.
6. You don't need a new master cylinder. A slave cylinder is what is inside the bell housing over the trans shaft. It pushed the "fingers" on the pressure plate and allows the clutch to disengage.
7. Takes the bleeder valve from a ridiculously hard spot to get to (practically inside the bellhousing) to a more friendly location via a steel braided hose. If you install a clutch and don't put in a remote bleeder you are a moron.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I need a new slave cylinder, or can I get away with an adapter (like this Katech slave spacer)?

And the remote bleeder is nice, but at $139, it's a hard sell.

By the way, do you think it's worth spending $100 for 4 jack stands that can go up to 24" versus $40 for stands that go up to 16"?

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
$139 is too much for the bleeder. I got mine for about $40 from Scoggin Dickey.
Everyone recommends getting a new slave. You can go with the LS7 slave or a new stocker with the spacer. Stock is twice as much money. But the LS7 has a long metal tube you have to bend. No reported problems with the bending, but I really don't feel comfortable with it.
The higher the car the better. I have a couple hydraulic jack stands from Pep boys, awesome!

Good luck and don't forget to mark the driveshaft and re-install the same way.

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,786 Posts
So I need a new slave cylinder, or can I get away with an adapter (like this Katech slave spacer)?

And the remote bleeder is nice, but at $139, it's a hard sell.

By the way, do you think it's worth spending $100 for 4 jack stands that can go up to 24" versus $40 for stands that go up to 16"?
Tony answered the slave questions (and he is a good source having just done the swap).

Yeah $139 is out of control. I got mine from Monster for $49. Look around a bit and you'll find one cheaper.

Depends on whether or not you are going to use them ever again? I just used my regular stands (no idea how high they go but it isn't much). If/when I do do it again though I will certainly invest in some of the nice little "trick" options you posted (tranny adapter for jack, larger jack stands etc).

Also make sure you have some long ass extensions and some swivels to get to the top tranny bolts. Also a set of gear wrenches is HIGHLY desirable for the top bell housing bolts. G/L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts