Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Redline
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to buy a ctsv at the end of the summer. I have been wanting an 05 for the ls6. from what i have been reading there isn't much difference between the two power wise. i was hoping some of the members could give me some insight on the differences. do the ls2 models have a better rear end? any other comment are welcome.

·
Registered
'05 ProCharged cts-V -Silver on Black
673 Posts
i am looking to buy a ctsv at the end of the summer. I have been wanting an 05 for the ls6. from what i have been reading there isn't much difference between the two power wise. i was hoping some of the members could give me some insight on the differences. do the ls2 models have a better rear end? any other comment are welcome.

There isn't enough difference either way to get one over the other...... Best to buy the best deal on the best car not because of an ls6 or ls2,

Good luck on finding a good one &
Welcome to the forum

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,267 Posts
LS2 requires you to have mudflaps.

J/k. Yikes! What have I done?!!

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,711 Posts
:rofl: I like my mudflaps.

Better low end torque on the LS2's, like a truck :).

If you like breaking them loose in third (on the dry pavement of course) then I would recommend the LS2. The LS6 has a more aggressive cam so I do like the idle on the LS6's.

I wouldn't choose based on the motor, look for the best V for the money. You will enjoy either engine but I think you will have more options for the heads because of the larger piston size. I could be wrong on this one so please research if this is a concern.

·
Registered
'06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor; 2014 XTS-Vsport
634 Posts
LS2 Vs . . .:hmm: hmmm,
bigger pistons,
bigger throttle body,
bigger half shafts,
bigger strut brace,
thicker/stronger rearend case,
improved cradle bushings,
improved transmission,
more modern wire harness,
radio buttons on steering wheel,
Digital OnStar/XM NavTraffic
'07s 5yr/100k powertrain warranty
:eyebrow: truck tuff - is that enough? :duck:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/my-chart.html

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,111 Posts
Which is why I set out to buy an 06 or 07. And get I ended up with an 05 because the deal was much more palatable to me. I kinda wish I had the LS2 though.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,711 Posts
:shhh: you could get banned for talk like that around here. The Mods are LS6 loyal!

·
Registered
07 CTS-V Maggied
1,069 Posts
haha, just make sure if you get the LS2 to buy the tow hitch package; When the guys with the Ls6's blow their diff's their gonna need a tow

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V 6MT (Sold), 2007 CTS-V (Sold)
1,409 Posts
Stepside, you're forgetting the AWESOME black center-caps on the wheels. They DO make you faster. LS2 FTW!

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
LS2 Vs . . .:hmm: hmmm,
bigger pistons,
bigger throttle body,
bigger half shafts,
bigger strut brace,
thicker/stronger rearend case,
improved cradle bushings,
improved transmission,
more modern wire harness,
radio buttons on steering wheel,
Digital OnStar/XM NavTraffic
'07s 5yr/100k powertrain warranty
:eyebrow: truck tuff - is that enough? :duck:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/my-chart.html
You'd think with all the bigger and improved stuff it might be faster.........not! :bigroll:

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
728 Posts
You'd think with all the bigger and improved stuff it might be faster.........not! :bigroll:
We all intentionally hold back a little whenever an LS6 person might see or read about it, just so you guys don't feel bad. Every new buyer of an LS2 car gets a mysterious phone call the night after they buy it, to fill them in on the deal.

To the OP, here is the difference from GM:

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
2,061 Posts
It's really a moot point now, and kudos to the people that are picking up the 'improved' models at these great prices..

But 3-4 years ago, it wasn't LS6 vs LS2. It was 25-30k or 40-45k...big difference- and for some, not worth the extra cash.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
If you're staying stock not much difference, if not LS2= more potential.
LS6 is maxed out where the LS2 is just getting started. Ls6 owners try to comfort themselves by saying it's some sort collectors addition, that it was once the same engine in the Z06 or some crap like that.:cookoo:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Now there's a selling point!
Actually it is, there are less electrical gremlins in the ls2 Vs. Read some of the threads about odd sensor readings or bad grounds... you don't see 06 or 07 V owners reporting in there. I suppose it could be that they are newer and the same gremlins just haven't surfaced yet but I think they did make improvements in the harness/grounds. I know in my 07 I haven't seen a single one of the electrical issues that 04/05 guys have reported.

G

·
Actually it is, there are less electrical gremlins in the ls2 Vs. Read some of the threads about odd sensor readings or bad grounds... you don't see 06 or 07 V owners reporting in there. I suppose it could be that they are newer and the same gremlins just haven't surfaced yet but I think they did make improvements in the harness/grounds. I know in my 07 I haven't seen a single one of the electrical issues that 04/05 guys have reported.
I can't believe you just jinxed yourself like that. WOW!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm not scurd.... because my V is at home hiding away in the garage...she has no idea I said it! :shhh:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Redline
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow, thanks for all the replies. i was not expecting this many. i think i will start looking at the prices of the 06-07 more now to see how much more they are.

someone said there is more aftermarket on the ls2, and another mentioned the ls2 has more room to grow performance wise... why is this? i imagined the ls2 would have a greater demand for aftermarket since its in more vehicles and its still a current in production motor.

my plan is to buy the car and keep it stock until i graduate college in a year. pay it off as soon as i graduate. then start modding, if i decide to.

well thanks for all the replies i cant wait to actually get one.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
We all intentionally hold back a little whenever an LS6 person might see or read about it, just so you guys don't feel bad. Every new buyer of an LS2 car gets a mysterious phone call the night after they buy it, to fill them in on the deal.

To the OP, here is the difference from GM:

:yawn: More torque to pull the horse trailer.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts