Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the reasons for the motor you would rather have? A bit random, I know, but I have my reasons, believe me! :sneaky:

Anyhow, I'd really appreciate some of your opinions and views on these 2 motors in the V series CTS, danke.

Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
The LS6 is a special motor, built in a special plant, for special cars...and they don't make them anymore. Its my pick and why I didn't wait for the LS2. One day, the LS6 Vs will be worth something, perhaps. How many cars will have the LS2? Too many. In my V beats the heart of a 4door Z06 Vette, not a regular Vette, not a GTO, not a Trailblazer, and certainly not that hideous SSR....saw one tonight and tasted my bile.

I'll keep my LS6, thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
ace996 said:
The LS6 is a special motor, built in a special plant, for special cars...
I agree with everything (else) you said...except the LS6 is built right along side the LS1 and on the same line that is now making the LS2 - St. Catherines
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,440 Posts
In the CTS-V application I would vote for the LS6.

Exclusivity - Check
Cache - Check
Name recognition (street cred') - Check

The other obvious reason would be the aftermarket. It will take some time for the aftermarket to catch up to an LS2 equipped CTS-V. I like to "tinker" with my V so the LS6 is a great platform.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
I thought the LS6 was built by a special group....in a special plant....by Myrmidons who were members of MENSA. I like my version better....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
I like the torque curve on the LS6 better than the LS2. I just get the feeling it whines up tighter and quicker than the LS2. I "Beat the Cubes" daily and I can tell......"They're Happy!!" :sneaky:
 

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
Joined
·
13,930 Posts
Check me if I'm wrong:thepan: , but isn't there more "power under the curve" with the LS2? In other words, at a given engine speed, say 2500 RPM, there's more available torque with the LS2 (basically because of displacement). Thus, all else being equal including peak HP and aftermarket considerations aside, the LS2 should perform better.:stirpot:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Didn't read any of the responses to this so, sorry if I am repeating.

The LS2,..regardless of what everyone will think,...is by far, a better powerplant then the LS1/LS6 set up.

Aside from larger water jackets for better cooling,...you have larger displacement,...more cubic inches.

The LS6,..is capable of handleing around,...700 horsepower. Yes, I know there are people makeing more then 700 with this setup but,...it won't last forever. Regardless of internals.

The LS2,.,...will handle around 1000hp.... Do the math,...and the research...and you'll probably agree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
LS6 for all the reasons ACE stated plus the fact that the powerband on the LS6 feels better and the rough around the edges charachter of this motor is wonderful. The LS2 may be more durable and may have a flater torque curve but is not nearly as exciting for me to drive. Now if we start talking LS7, that's a different story!

The LS6 is a tweaked motor and feels like it, the LS2 is a powerfull base model motor and feels like it..nuff said!

They are both awesome but me vote is with the LS6!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Blacksport350 said:
LS6 for all the reasons ACE stated plus the fact that the powerband on the LS6 feels better and the rough around the edges charachter of this motor is wonderful. The LS2 may be more durable and may have a flater torque curve but is not nearly as exciting for me to drive. Now if we start talking LS7, that's a different story!

The LS6 is a tweaked motor and feels like it, the LS2 is a powerfull base model motor and feels like it..nuff said!

They are both awesome but me vote is with the LS6!

Honestly man,..what are you talking about?

The LS2,..had your SAME CYLINDER HEADS<.......

The LS2...HAS YOUR SAME CAMSHAFT......

The LS2,..has a crappier intake,....

So,..what are you sayiong pimpin'?....

Have you driven the LS2 in what,..a GTO,..A C6 vette?

....

...and what LS7 have you driven?

LS6 is badass but,..aside from larger cubic inches,..and a couple of odds and ends,..they are essentially, the same.

Jamie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Like someone else said it's a question of exclusivity.The LS6 only came in two platforms,the 2 is the new gen utility smallblock.Regarding power,you are just splitting hairs-it's negligible-but down the road the 04-5 V's will have a degree of collector value.Highly doubt you will see an LS7 in a V IMO-it's warranty suicide for car already blowing pumpkins and a manufacturer flirting with federal bankrupcy protection...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,574 Posts
Late BrakeU2 said:
Like someone else said it's a question of exclusivity.The LS6 only came in two platforms,the 2 is the new gen utility smallblock.Regarding power,you are just splitting hairs-it's negligible-but down the road the 04-5 V's will have a degree of collector value.Highly doubt you will see an LS7 in a V IMO-it's warranty suicide for car already blowing pumpkins and a manufacturer flirting with federal bankrupcy protection...
You really think these cars will ever have a collector value? As much as I love the V's, I highly doubt they will have collector value and the LS6/LS2 will matter none.

But hey, thats just my opinion. I see how the market is treating the last of the Firebirds, it aint pretty.
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ls6vsls27zx.jpg

V-seriesTech is on the right track if your just comparing the engines. Having owned a car with each engine(as some of you have not): '05 V without 'roof and used it as a daily driver and 5 track days and replaced it with an '05 GTO which is a daily driver since April with another 10+ track days. We all know about the V's diff and I could not afford down time waiting on diffs to be installed. The GTO has been flawless and is about one second off my V with race rubber at the local track.

The LS2 driveability is much better than the LS6. Torque is everywhere and there is no need to wring it out like the LS6. Though it can be boring and linear at the track compared LS6 strong top end. With no AC on I can see 27.9 MPG and 23 MPG on a daily commute if I am good. The LS2 is more refined and very close to the German makes. Coming from MB the LS6 made a new noise every 1500 RPMS throughout the RPM band, the LS2 in the GTO is not that bad, even without Quiet Steel in the firewall that the V has.

Norm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
Kadonny said:
You really think these cars will ever have a collector value? As much as I love the V's, I highly doubt they will have collector value and the LS6/LS2 will matter none.

But hey, thats just my opinion. I see how the market is treating the last of the Firebirds, it aint pretty.
People said the same things about a few cars made in the late 60s also.

If they have collector value in the future, you can pretty much bet the LS6 would be worth more. LS2 is used in everything that GM can stuff it into. The LS6 is only used in two recent cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
I too think the LS2 will be a fine motor in this car and it will not affect my decision to buy. I am quite sure if the V came out with the LS2 BEFORE the GTO and the others vehicles, everyone would be fine with it. The ls6 was a band-aide until they put in the LS2, do you think they just invented it this year? Was the simply GM using up parts perhaps? They have been engineering LS2 for a long long time now..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
urbanski said:



Thats right,...you idiot. :sneaky:

Now go search some GM records,..and see what GM thinks about the LS2. Then go do some more engine searches,..and see what TOP enginge tuners belive, is the better powerplant.


And yes, I know one day, you wanna be like me. Looser.

Get those POM POM's yet? :lildevil:

If you keep makeing references towards me,..then I am going to have to assume, that you've taken a certain likeing to me,...therefore, makeing you of the HOMOSEXUAL nature. Which is fine,..just please,..keep it to yourself. One might think, all the time you spend,..makieng up queer shit,...might in fact, make you look QUEER.

Food for thought.


Your Superior.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
V-seriesTech said:
Honestly man,..what are you talking about?

The LS2,..had your SAME CYLINDER HEADS<.......

The LS2...HAS YOUR SAME CAMSHAFT......

The LS2,..has a crappier intake,....

So,..what are you sayiong pimpin'?....

Have you driven the LS2 in what,..a GTO,..A C6 vette?

....

...and what LS7 have you driven?

LS6 is badass but,..aside from larger cubic inches,..and a couple of odds and ends,..they are essentially, the same.

Jamie
Hey, I'm not in disagreement that the LS2 is the better motor. However, the question was what motor that I prefer and why and those are my reasons and I'm sticking to them.

But I will answer your questions, I have never driven an LS2 in a GTO, just the Corvette which I would assume is the best application of the motor. Flatter and better torque curve, smoother idle and easier to to drive as a result there of. The LS6 feels much more on edge, has a lumpier idle and is all around a rougher package. I personally prefer this charachter but the LS2 is better for the average buyer. Once again, these are my reasons and no one has to agree with them!

As to the LS7, all I will say is while I don't have any personal seat time in a C6 Z06, I have a relative that is high up at GM that does and I trust his evaluation. Besides, anyone that would attempt to argue that the LS7 is not the same degree of additional involvement over the LS2 as the LS1 over the LS6 was is an idiot.

I'm not here to argue but when someone asks for my opinion, I give it!
:thepan:
 
1 - 20 of 155 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
154 Replies
45 Participants
urbanski
Top