Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock ls6 bottom end. ECS blower cam. Using a set of 317 heads ported and polished. Stock ls6 rockers. Comp cam lifters. Im not sure if my stock length push rods will be good. Any input would greatly appreciated guys. thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
or, assemble the engine and use one stock pushrod and solid lifter on #1 cylinder. Use mechanic's dye or Prussian Blue to observe the rocker tip-to-valve-tip contact pattern as the engine is manually rotated: The wiped area should be straight across the center of the valve stem. If the wiped area is toward the outside of the cylinder head the pushrod is too short; if toward the inside (valley) it's too long.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,022 Posts
The right answer is to measure it and see what you get. There are a couple of different methods to do it that you can find either here or on ls1tech.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I have a stock ls6 bottom end. ECS blower cam. Using a set of 317 heads ported and polished. Stock ls6 rockers. Comp cam lifters. Im not sure if my stock length push rods will be good. Any input would greatly appreciated guys. thanks
Your push rod requirement should be measured because, among other reasons, your cam, may have a different diameter base circle than the stock cam it replaces. See attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks man..yea I've come across these methods before. I'm probably going to go with measuring it by tightening it down and measuring preload. I think the adjustable pushrod method is to big of increments. Probably get a more accurate measurement by measuring it by turns.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
thanks man..yea I've come across these methods before. I'm probably going to go with measuring it by tightening it down and measuring preload. I think the adjustable pushrod method is to big of increments. Probably get a more accurate measurement by measuring it by turns.
When using the adjustable push rod, although I failed to mention it in the write-up, you can count partial turns as well e.g. 1 turn = 0.050"; 1/2 turn = 0.025", 1/4 turn = 0.0125".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts