Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody see the article in this week's Autoweek about the Mallett Solstice? Hot alright but I must admit, it's slower than I would've figured (4.2sec. 0-60). Maybe it's just too much power for the car and it can't get it to the pavement? It looks nice with those wheels though.
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
Katshot said:
Anybody see the article in this week's Autoweek about the Mallett Solstice? Hot alright but I must admit, it's slower than I would've figured (4.2sec. 0-60). Maybe it's just too much power for the car and it can't get it to the pavement? It looks nice with those wheels though.
So where's the pics!!:confused:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Katshot said:
Anybody see the article in this week's Autoweek about the Mallett Solstice? Hot alright but I must admit, it's slower than I would've figured (4.2sec. 0-60). Maybe it's just too much power for the car and it can't get it to the pavement? It looks nice with those wheels though.
I couldn't find any road test of the Mallett Solstice, do you have a link? I suspect the problem is Autoweek test drivers and not the car. I remember them getting consistantly slower times than anyone else with the C5, C6 and Mustang Cobra.;)
 

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
I think the Autoweek testers know what theyre doing...

The reason the track time was probably a bit slow was due to exactly what Kat said... It aint easy for that little frame to put so much power to the ground!

M3 FIGHTER!!... Shit... M3 KILLER. (If GM ever makes it... yea :rolleyes: )
 

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
Joined
·
3,703 Posts
Well, GM's not the one making it, Mallet is. They said something like 100 made per yera or something like that. GM is however working on a Turbocharger Solstice that should put out around 240hp. I don't knwo how fast it will be, but it will be an inprovement over the 7.2? 0-60 times of the current Solstice.
 

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
danbuc said:
Well, GM's not the one making it, Mallet is. They said something like 100 made per yera or something like that. GM is however working on a Turbocharger Solstice that should put out around 240hp. I don't knwo how fast it will be, but it will be an inprovement over the 7.2? 0-60 times of the current Solstice.
Thats my point... GM should be taking cues from Mallett and building the thing themselves. Pontiac Solsti?? are already projected to have the best domestic car residual in AGES as compared to TrailBlazers and Impalas etc that hold their value horribly, the Solstice is expected to hold 54 percent! Thats a nearly European level of retention.

Now, given that, and the fact the thing is already backordered a thousand deep... I dont see why GM would have any problem producing this monster. Theyd be sold out the instant orders were accepted. BMW will be asking slightly over 50k for the M Roadster variant of the Z4, GM should have no trouble getting 45k out an LS2 Solstice with a few other goodies. I tell ya... I come up with the ideas... but I cant put em in place GM!
 

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
7,237 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
Thats my point... GM should be taking cues from Mallett and building the thing themselves.
GM has the Corvette. I could see GM offering a potent V6 Solstice, but nothing that would beat the Vette for less money.

The Autoweek article states that Chevy was giving Chuck Mallet some heat over this car.

Since Mallet is filling the need, GM really doesn't have to tool up for it.

I'd rather see a V8 Camaro, and a RWD family of V8 sedans, coupes and wagons.

I'd also like to see a I4/V6 coupe, sedan and wagon based on the Solstice platform.

2 seaters are still a very small niche. Sedans are mainstream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mallett taking heat from Chevy because he made a car faster than a base model Corvette? I must admit, I laughed at that when I read it. If that's true, they must give him a lot of heat all the time since EVERYTHING he builds is faster than a Vette.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top