Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Who are you going to for your tune?

I wish I could help but I'm glad you posted this since I will be doing it in probably a couple of weeks.

It looks like there is no hope for you either! Man, this car is just too much fun to modify. I'm putting the sways in mine right now...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Best tuner this side of the country, He's a bad mother "shut your mouth", the seller of my B&B X-pipe, the One and Only....
And the only thing stopping me from being the first in line tomorrow morning at USPS is, I can't get this damn ECM off!
Somebody help, it's gettin dark.
Don't make me pull the fascia off!!

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,991 Posts
Just saw this. Did you get it out?

If not, it's on the driver's side way in front and accessed from underneath. Run the car up on ramps or jack it up. Remove the little pushpin fasteners on the access panel covering the area below the radiator rearward of the front bumper by prying the plunger pin thing out about a half inch then extracting the entire fastener. (You only have to do this on the driver's half of the panel.) The PCM is held in by a rectangular shaped cover. I believe you need a 10 mm socket to remove the bolt, then the cover can be removed. The PCM can now be slid down and out. To remove the two rather large connectors, I believe you need a 7 mm socket. Be a bit cautious as you pop these off so as not to booger up any pins. The PCM is now in your lap. Put a piece of masking tape on it with your name and phone number printed on it so your tuner doesn't get it mixed up with somebody else's.

Hey, I thought this was already pretty well explained in the FAQ!!?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just saw this. Did you get it out?

If not, it's on the driver's side way in front and accessed from underneath. Run the car up on ramps or jack it up. Remove the little pushpin fasteners on the access panel covering the area below the radiator rearward of the front bumper by prying the plunger pin thing out about a half inch then extracting the entire fastener. (You only have to do this on the driver's half of the panel.) The PCM is held in by a rectangular shaped cover. I believe you need a 10 mm socket to remove the bolt, then the cover can be removed. The PCM can now be slid down and out. To remove the two rather large connectors, I believe you need a 7 mm socket. Be a bit cautious as you pop these off so as not to booger up any pins. The PCM is now in your lap. Put a piece of masking tape on it with your name and phone number printed on it so your tuner doesn't get it mixed up with somebody else's.

Hey, I thought this was already pretty well explained in the FAQ!!?
Thanks but No Thanks,
I have three large connectors not Two,
Yes it is explained pretty well in the FAQ for the LS6, the LS2 is way different.
After I get mines out, you'll probably see a FAQ over it.
Did you look at the pics I provided?
No I didn't get it out.:rant2:

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,991 Posts
Oops! My bad.

That IS different!

(Must need more wires to make that truck engine run. :stirpot:)

j/k

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you don't have it out yet but let me know if your still having troubles with it tonight.

I am planning to crawl under the car to finish the exhasut tonight and I could take a stab at removing the PCM. I need to do this anyways so it wouldn't hurt to take a dry run anyways. Maybe I will be able to figure this puzzle out and shot you some suggestions on the removal.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I looked over on the LS1Tech and Corvette forums for you as well. Nothing.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
I need to pick up the wife at 20:30 but I will crawl under the car when I get home to try and figure out how it comes out. I will send a reply tonight whether I figure it out or not.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Hi GM,

I removed the PCM and the connectors. I will do my best to give you instuctions on how to remove it.

- Remove the Neg terminal from the battery
- Remove the lower plastic piece with all of the stupid little clips on it.
- Leave the connectors attached for now.

REmoval of the computer:
- There are 2 13 mm nuts (See Attached pic ComputerRemoval (1)) on the left side of the computer. I used a 13mm stubby wrench to remove the nuts. ONce the nuts have been removed, pull the computer away from the body then slide it off of the studs on the left side of the computer.

I have attached a picture of the computer that shows the holes where the stud and nut are. Pic of the computer is ComputerRemoval (2).

Now slide the computer out and down, you now have access to the connectors.

See ComputerRemoval for a pictures of the connectors.

To remove the connectors you will need to slide the red tab as far as possible. You will need to push the black tab on the connector to slide the red tab all the way up. Slide the black loop up and remove the connector.

Repeat for the next 2 connectors.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So the black housing comes off too?
The ECM is supposed to come out of the housing.

When you say left side of the ECM, do you mean Foreward, like towards the nose, or top.

Did you see any clips that would release the ECM from the housing, that's what the LS6 guys have, the don't take out the entire housing.

Thank you so much for figuring this out.

Have you put it back in??? I bet those nuts are a PITA putting back in with limited space and visibility. There has to be some way of getting the ECM out of that housing. I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning after I get up.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the way out of the job, I took a peek at the ECM on the Malibu and it was sitting easily where our CAI is located at. It doesn't require screws to remove, there is a clip on the back that releases it from the housing. The plug seems to be a PITA to remove.
Which makes me want to wait.
Rob did you get the Red Clip to move by hand or did you use a screwdriver.
Going to bed, will deal with this in the morning

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
The red clips will usually move by hand; if they are a bit sticky, a little screwdriver to help them along would work and not require much effort.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
So the black housing comes off too?
The ECM is supposed to come out of the housing.

When you say left side of the ECM, do you mean Foreward, like towards the nose, or top.

Did you see any clips that would release the ECM from the housing, that's what the LS6 guys have, the don't take out the entire housing.

Thank you so much for figuring this out.

Have you put it back in??? I bet those nuts are a PITA putting back in with limited space and visibility. There has to be some way of getting the ECM out of that housing. I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning after I get up.
WIth PCM installed it would be the side of the PCM closest to the headlight.

I didn't see any clips, sorry I didn't see if I could get the PCM out of the plastic piece. When I first tried to remove the PCM I tried to pull it out of the plastic but it was pretty tight, I haven't checked to see how it's attached but I will do that tonight when I get home.

I have not put the PCM back in but removing it was mostly done by feel. I did try and put one of the nuts back in and The hardest part was starting it, once on the stud it was not a problem to spin it on and tighten it.

On the way out of the job, I took a peek at the ECM on the Malibu and it was sitting easily where our CAI is located at. It doesn't require screws to remove, there is a clip on the back that releases it from the housing. The plug seems to be a PITA to remove.
Which makes me want to wait.
Rob did you get the Red Clip to move by hand or did you use a screwdriver.
Going to bed, will deal with this in the morning
The little red clips were actually pretty easy to move by hand, I didn't use a screw driver. I wouldn't try to remove the connectors while it's in the car the connectors are much easier to remove once it's out.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Murphy's Law

Out of my brand spankin new stubby set, I found that I had every size except, "13"!
Rachet too big, now I just came back in to get the regular sized wrench

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Regular sized didn't work, but I did get the ECM out with out buy more tools

There is a clip at the top of the ECM that releases it.
Pics will be on the way. After I get this thing in the mail that is
TATATOTALLY DUDE
PARTY LIKE A ROCK STAR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts