Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dyno yesterday, to see how my numbers have changes after having my RT Cats and LPE CAI installed now for about 3 Months. My next planned mod will be a tune, so I wanted to have a good idea where I was numbers-wise, so I can get an idea what value I get out of a tune. Unfortunately I don't have a Wide Band O2 sensor, to get fuel/air readings, and the dyno I go to doesn't have the exhaust rectal stick to get any data (even though it may not be that good). I made sure I went back to the same exact dyno, run by the same guy, using the exact same settings. Also to check the 'real' performance gain of the CAI, i waited a good long time, to do the 'after' test, to remove any PCM trickery (i.e. car runs extra lean right after install, because PCM hasn't recalibrated itself, thus providing extra performance for a short while.)

Dyno used was a Mustang 1750 Dyno, running temperature corrected numbers (Not SAE), with a weight set @ 4000 LBS for the vehicle. Base run was done June 22nd, outside temp was about 80 degrees. 2nd run was done Oct 26 outside temp was about 60 degrees.

Pulled 3 times each. On new pull, I did have to do the parasitic test, since I was the one and only car there (on the baseline, Gary's car did the parasitic(?), so mine didn't have to). On the baseline pull, my car has sat for about 2 hours, prior to running, on the new one, It sat about 1/2 and hour. To make the comparisons as relevant as possible, I compared the 3rd run from each test, so engine heat soak would play the least factor (i.e. both should have been fairly hot). I didn't note oil temp on the baseline run, but on the 3rd run from the new, it was at 210 degrees.

Baseline Mods:
Corsa Exhaust
Random Technology Cats (installed about 2 days prior to dyno pull)
Stock Tune

New Run Additional Mods:
LPE CAI
Changed rear tires to 275/40 GSD3's on stock rims.
NOTE: I'm not sure what affect changing to the wider/heavier tire had on these following results, probably a bit, but not too much (my guess would be
< /0.5% :hmm: )

Results:

Peak Gain:
+8.9 RWHP 3% Gain (295.5 @6150 vs. 304.4 @6350)
+2.8 RWTQ 1% Gain (285.2 @4900 vs. 288.0 @4850)

Baseline made more HP up to about 4600, where newer run surpasses it
Baseline made more TQ up to about 4400, where newer run surpasses it

It would appear from the graph, that I gained up high, but lost more down low.

Bottom Line: This looks like a good mod if you are looking for more power up top, but the loss in the lower RPM's may not make it worth it for some. It was a good value for my driving style.

It really amazed me what a HUGE difference heat soak causes. My 1st run from June (when engine was 'luke warm'), my peak was [email protected] RWHP vs. 298.9 @4900 RWTQ, this was quite a bit higher than my 1st new run (almost exactly the same as my 3rd run above). This came down drastically, to the number shown above (295/285). From now on, the number I'm really going to concentrate on is my 3rd pull, as it is MUCH more representative of the vast majority of my driving (engine is up to temp.)

I'd love to hear any comments people might have.

I don't have a scanner. I'll try and take a pic, and post the graph later.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04CTSVFLA said:
[email protected] RWHP vs. 298.9 @4900 RWTQ
Isnt that really low, considering you have exhaust, cats and a stock tune. What is the average rwhp rwtq on a completely stock ctsv

To nip the 'horrific numbers!' replies in the bud. Please keep in mind that this is a mustang dyno running NON SAE corrected numbers (rather some funky 'temperature corrected' setting). The important thing to look at here is the comparison between the two runs. [as a comparison, on this dyno with these settings a completely stock V, with a few thousand miles on it, pushed about 285 RWHP, on it's first run, not sure where it ended up, on the 3rd run, probabaly around 280 ish (? Gary ?)]

Anyway, this dyno is not good for stroking the ego. It is good for producing 'real world' numbers.

-Chris

EDIT: Also keep in mind that these are 'HOT' numbers, no 'throw a bag of ice on the intake manifold, first run when cold' numbers. Do I wish i could say, hey my stock 345 RWHP V, is now at 375? I do, but it would be a crap 'mines bigger than yours number', and not representative of how the car actually drives in the real world.

V

·
0 Posts
Mustang Dyno #s are usually about the lowest but can be a great for comparison sake.
How is the seat of the pants, Chris?
Norm

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joey'sVee said:
Did you dyno before the corsa and cats? just curious to see the difference in stock and after you added all the mods.
No, I wish I had a completely stock base, then corsa, then corsa+RT Cats (my first). If I had to guess though, from the other runs, I was probabaly around 275/280 ish to start (hot), Thus to date, I'd expect these three mods have netted around 20-25 RWHP, and somewhere around 12-15 RWTQ.

BUT I will get a run in between mods from now on, to try and quantify my changes.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
V-Max said:
Mustang Dyno #s are usually about the lowest but can be a great for comparison sake.
How is the seat of the pants, Chris?
Norm
I've been running this configuration for about 3 months now, so it feels slow now :D [Moditis]. When I put each mod on i felt a difference. Probabaly most with the CAI, and then the RT Cats. The CAI initial bump though was probabaly around 20 RWHP, untill the PCM, stopped running lean, once it learned itself up.

-Chris

·
Registered
864 Posts
I did a Mustang dyno run in the summer. Hot 90+ degrees and humid. No base line to check, but I did pull 379RWHP, Tq was a little low at around 350.
Keep in mind no 2 dynos are alike. I may go back there for 2 more pulls now that the temps are cooler and see how much more power the car makes.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Just to reassure I wasnt intending to flame.....
Just in awe at how low those numbers are...especially it seems like alot of people are more along the line of wills #'s -

I did a Mustang dyno run in the summer. Hot 90+ degrees and humid. No base line to check, but I did pull 379RWHP, Tq was a little low at around 350.
but I see now that it wasnt stock.

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
willsctsv said:
...Keep in mind no 2 dynos are alike.
Amen to that...especially with Mustang Dyno's. They have so many settings, and programs. They can emulate a dynajet, or run with no load, or run with any myriad of 'smoothing' programs. I think the place I go to has theirs set to 'uniform ego busta Mark IX'.

Anyone have any comments on the LPE CAI and my findings?

-Chris

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
04CTSVFLA said:
Just to reassure I wasnt intending to flame.....
I didn't take it that way :D, hopefully I didn't come off like I did (maybe I did though). No prob. I was just trying to stear the thread back to talking about the LPE CAI.

Alos wondering what people's thoughts are about the larger tires.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joey'sVee said:
I don't think tires give ANY HP increase at all just traction!
Tires shouldn;t but these cool new stickers I got should :D

I figure I have to be loosing something, bigger tire = more friction. Also I don't know the weight of the stock F1's vs the weight of a GSD3 275/40, but I would think the GSD3 would weigh a bit more, thus increasing the unsprung weight, slowing down acceleration. I'm just not sure how much (i wouldn't think it would be much).

-Chris

·
Registered
637 Posts
Chris, my V bone stock pulled 287.1 HP @ 5900, 281.4 TQ @ 4650 at Total Performance. With the huffer, Magnaflow, and Stealth tune it now pulls 405 @ 6300, 381 @ 4200. But this was on a dyno at Tony's Corvette. I need to do a couple of pulls at Total performance to see what the actual gain is.

GT

trukk said:
To nip the 'horrific numbers!' replies in the bud. Please keep in mind that this is a mustang dyno running NON SAE corrected numbers (rather some funky 'temperature corrected' setting). The important thing to look at here is the comparison between the two runs. [as a comparison, on this dyno with these settings a completely stock V, with a few thousand miles on it, pushed about 285 RWHP, on it's first run, not sure where it ended up, on the 3rd run, probabaly around 280 ish (? Gary ?)]

Anyway, this dyno is not good for stroking the ego. It is good for producing 'real world' numbers.

-Chris

EDIT: Also keep in mind that these are 'HOT' numbers, no 'throw a bag of ice on the intake manifold, first run when cold' numbers. Do I wish i could say, hey my stock 345 RWHP V, is now at 375? I do, but it would be a crap 'mines bigger than yours number', and not representative of how the car actually drives in the real world.

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GT04CTS-V said:
Chris, my V bone stock pulled 287.1 HP @ 5900, 281.4 TQ @ 4650 at Total Performance. With the huffer, Magnaflow, and Stealth tune it now pulls 405 @ 6300, 381 @ 4200. But this was on a dyno at Tony's Corvette. I need to do a couple of pulls at Total performance to see what the actual gain is.

GT
Gary,

I missed ya yesterday, but the clouds loomed, so I figured the girl was gonna stay in the garage (nothing the matter with that!)

I'd be interested in what your 3rd pull numbers were from last time. If/Wen you go again, can you try and get those for me, as It would give the best approximation of what a V baslines at stock, with a 'hot' engine.

Let me know when you are going to go, I'd like to swing by and check out that maggie.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
637 Posts
Chris, I have a 3:00 appt with the dyno at Total Performance today. I'm getting ready to change the pulley on the Huffer and install long tube header wit RT Cats. So I need to get another baseline before the mods. I'll post the results later this evening.

GT

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm,

I may try and swing by to check it out.

-Chris

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Chris,

Did you have weight in the trunk, i.e. over the rear wheels? It do make a diff.

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lawfive said:
Chris,

Did you have weight in the trunk, i.e. over the rear wheels? It do make a diff.
Hmm, Just my golf sticks. Forgive my ignorance, but is that supposed to be better or worse?

-Chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
9 Participants
v-sam