Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are eibach Springs enough? They say that they only lower the car 1.2 inches...

Does anyone have pics of their car or a car with the eibach springs on it? 18 or 19 inch wheels would be good too to get an idea.

Are there any other sprigns that go lower than 1.2 inches for the 03 V6 CTS?

·
Registered
2005 cts v6
11 Posts
hi, I have an 05 CTS , I have an eibach pro plus kit ordered, should have it installed in a couple weeks, I'll post a pic. I think I'll be happy with the stated 1.2in. I've been looking at 18" rims too, but the OEM 16's will probably look ok once the kit is on. Any one else with eibachs on please post a pic
thanks,

·
Registered
NONE
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check Hotchkiss. If you have the FE3 suspension, you can't lower the rear.

wait wait wait...

you cant lower the rear ever? or just if using Hotchkis?

how do i tell if i have the FE3 suspension...?

here's some knowledge about the car...just bought it tonight!

the VIN is 1G6DM57N430112151

it has unusual wheels, is it a "Sport" model..??? BTW< its a 5 speed!

·
Registered
They should make a new model name for mine but I guess a CTS
271 Posts
You have to mod the rear because the suspension is self leveling depending on the amount of weight in the rear of the vehicle

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
Look on the underside of your spare tire cover. All the build codes for your car should be there.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2 Manual Trans
81 Posts
If you do have FE3's, let me know if you want FE1 rear shocks so you can get the full 1.2" drop. I'm about to list them on Ebay for $75 + shipping..

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The statement that you can't lower the car with FE3's is true, but you can perform mods to make it work. If you don't lower the upper mounting hat on the self leveling shocks, they will pump the car back up to the stock ride height in the rear. You will either need to change the upper mounting hat of the rear shocks to the FE4 style and do the spacer mod, which normally can't be done without acquiring a set of FE4 shocks, or you downgrade to non-self-leveling shocks (FE1 or FE2's).

Info is on the FAQ. FE3 and FE4 shocks are similar and interchangeable, with the FE4's much stiffer as they come from the heavier and more sport driving oriented CTS-V. Incidentally, the rear shocks will only lower the car 1" rather than 1.2" with this mod. To get lower, you'll need to turn the shaft in a lathe, or grind about 1/4" down on the turned section. This will lower the upper mounting hat by that additional amount.

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/lowercts/index.html

If the wheels on your car are stock, it likely has FE3's. The 17" wheels typically came with the sport option in that year, which implies FE3's. I don't know of any manual trans CTS's in '03 that didn't come with it.

·
Registered
NONE
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So... i'll check under the tire cover tonight.

If i do have the FE3's... is all i have to do is swap them for the FE1's? are there any sensors or BS thats going to have to be wired/cut/spliced? or just plug and play once the springs arrive?

GRINDER!!! if i find out i have the fe3... i will buy your Fe1!! dont list them yet!

PS -asnyone have pics of a CTS on the eibachs? i want to see how dramatic (or lack there of) the 1.2 inch drop is...

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The FE2 rear shocks from a later CTS will have more closer matched damping to the FE3 self-leveling nivomats, than the soft ride FE1.

The nivomats are self contained hydraulic self leveling shocks. No electrical pigtails. Just R&R with non load leveling shocks.

GMPartsDirect has them for around $95 each plus S/H, which usually runs around 15 to 20%. List is $160 each.

shock absorber, cts, w/o sport suspension, ride and handling susp.
04-07 $159.73 $94.69

My car is probably not representative of a stock CTS with Eibachs. I lowered it after the V body work and 18's. I've got FE4's with the spacer mod to the rear to drop it a total of 1". I shimmed the fronts up 6mm (1/4") to level the whole car. I also have 245/45R18's on it (about 1" taller than the stock 225/50R17's). A stock CTS with FE1 or FE2's and Eibach springs will sit somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2" lower than this pic. I think my springs have settled slightly (maybe 1/4") since this pic was taken shortly after the Eibachs were installed.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
wait wait wait...

you cant lower the rear ever? or just if using Hotchkis?

how do i tell if i have the FE3 suspension...?
!
Sorry, I answered 2 questions there, without clarity. IIRC, Hotchkiss springs lower the most at the front, of the 3 choices. Others will tell you for sure tho.

You can lower the rear with the shock mod that a few guys have done. But IIRC again, the 03 FE3's were not modifiable. I think you need the newer FE3's...

Im sure Tommy or Ody will chime in here

*EDIT* Didn't read ahead. Theyve allready chimed in.

·
Registered
NONE
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fe2?

okay... so sicne i have FE3's how do i find out exactly what strut i need to lower mine? i thought someone said FE1?

·
Registered
NONE
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
fe2?

okay... so sicne i have FE3's how do i find out exactly what strut i need to lower mine? i thought someone said FE1?
FE1's are soft ride non-load leveling shocks.
FE2's are sport ride non-load leveling shocks (came out later in 05 or 06).
FE3's are sport ride load leveling.

Both non-load leveling rear shocks are easily swapped for your FE3's, but you'd be better off matching the damping rates of the front FE3's with FE2 sport shocks, if you want to ditch the load leveling. You won't find a part called 'FE1' or 'FE2' as these are the RPO build codes. If you buy new, they're both priced fairly similar. You only need to replace the rears. The fronts are not load leveling and will work fine with Eibach springs. FE1's will work, but will be softer than your front shocks. The Eibach springs are stiffer than the stock springs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts