Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they exist? Want to make my ride a little bit lower but can't find any suggestions in shops.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS
11 Posts
Here is the info I found through Eibach...excludes the AWD Edition.

PRO-KIT Performance Springs (Set of 4 Springs)
# 38136.140

Front: 0.8 in
Rear: 1.0 in
Footnotes: Vehicles Equipped With Self-leveling Rear Dampers Must Replace With Non Self-leveling Dampers Such As Fe1 Or Fe2 Dampers To Properly Lower.

·
Registered
2009 CTS, 2009 Yamaha R1
268 Posts
but we have the AWD cars. Ive been searching as well, but have no answer yet. can you lower the AWD version? If not, why not? I doubt the tranfercase has any effect on the suspension...

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD
4 Posts
No one knows any springs that will work? I too want to lower my AWD And Big Pat if you put those Eibachs on your AWD you're going to have BIG problems because they can't support the extra weight since they're made for rwd

·
Registered
2009 CTS, 2009 Yamaha R1
268 Posts
ive heard the eibachs work from people that have them on their AWDs. I asked D3 and they said their springs work as well.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI AWD
27 Posts
I too am another conflicted owner. I hear people saying the Eibachs work, but I also hear they cannot support the weight. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
cts
320 Posts
I want to know from someone who has had springs on for a long time if they have ran into problems with Struts or anything else? and if in the long run its better to get Coilovers?

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition
234 Posts
Sounds to me like the bottom line is, yes, people have tried it and it's working for them so far.
Not sure they won't run into some issues though, like poorer handling when the car is heavily loaded down?

so bottom line is an 08 awd cts4 can use the eibach pro kit without issue? thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's probably more to the effect of the stance of the AWD causing the driveshafts to become "longer" when the car is lowered. When I say longer I don't mean physically but it can create "pinch" points in the drivetrain because the distance between the to points where the driveshaft hooks up will become shorter. This isn't something I've learned for this vehicle, it's just something that happens when lowering a car/truck and I'm using that knowledge as a maybe. Especially since the AWD is higher than the RWD..

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
I have no interest in lowering my AWD sedan, but I have alot of exerience lowering cars for road racing and lifting 4x4s for off road use.

If the rest of the suspension is left alone, includuing the bump stops, the drive lines will not be over extended or over angled (pinched) since the overall travel distances will not change. However, your available up travel over bumps in the road will be reduced. This will result in smaller bumps causing the suspension to hit the stops. This will make the ride very rough and upset the handling when the bump stops are contacted. Stiffer spring rates can help with this some, but then that just makes the ride that much more harsh even before you hit the stops. To truely lower it right without effecting up travel vs down travel and make handling improvements, you will need to get slightly shorter shocks as well as get shocks valved for the spring rates you intend to use. Variable rate springs make this nearly impossible. The CTS V has the magnetic fluid shocks which can be tuned through programming and can be made to match a wide variety of sping rates.

If your lower jsut for looks, then I guess none of this matters. If your lowering to make handling gains, know what your doing before you start or you'll probably just make it worse rather than better.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS, 3.6l, AWD
5 Posts
Well I contacted Eibach's 1.800 number (1-800-507-2338) and spoke with a representative and he mentioned to me that they have just not tested a Cadillac with AWD and so they don't have the spring compressions on file. My guess is how much the springs will lower with possibly the added weight of the AWD or transfer case in the front and as well in my case the bigger 3.6L. I noticed that a few on here have tried it and i am going to lean this way as well. I have the FE2 suspension so I am confident it will work. I don't believe it has anything to do with the drive train or other components in speaking with him. Just not statistical data.

If You have the FE3 suspension it sounds like from the website you will need non self leveling dampeners if equipt. I will attach the link and comments as well.

PRO-KIT Performance Springs (Set of 4 Springs)
# 38136.140

Front: 0.8 in
Rear: 1.0 in
Footnotes: Vehicles Equipped With Self-leveling Rear Dampers Must Replace With Non Self-leveling Dampers Such As Fe1 Or Fe2 Dampers To Properly Lower.

http://performance-suspension.eibach.com/cms/lookup_products

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I called Eibach as well on these 11-12 suggested models and they stated that they are still in the prototype phase possibly available near the end of this year... maybe... The main reason being is that they don't rarely see to many AWD down in southern California. I would imagine if they became available they would work for the 2008 and up as well, but maybe someone else would know more about that. I believe the spring setup is still the same. They will not market until they have certified there testing with the final conclusion. He didn't say that they wouldn't work just haven't been tested.

So my conclusion is vehicle weight in the front. Would anyone have knowledge of weight difference. ie. 3.6L and AWD.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
5 Posts
One other thing i must add quick as well is that the part number PRO-KIT Performance Springs #38136.140 is for the 3.6L as tested so the only other vehicle weight in my opinion would be the FWD set up in the AWD.

Phewff i'm tired....i'm gonna stop typing. lol :welcome:

1 - 20 of 102 Posts