Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - HDMLNIUM - Your shocks are on their way back to you tomorrow - I'll PM you details.

For anyone else interested (will also work on non V CTS I believe).

First off - the legal part - no warranty implied or expressed - for off-road use only, blah, blah, blah.

I have two complete kits to lower your V. One has used shocks, one has new. Both come with a brand new pair of rear springs cut to your liking (1/2, 3/4 or ??? coil) or uncut - you decide.

The first set is comprised of used stock V shocks (non-FG2) with about 10,000 miles on them. There is a single lowering groove in the front struts at .75" which will net slightly more than that in lowering the front of the V (don't ask me why - I'm a printer - not an engineer - probably spring preload). You'll reuse your front springs and won't modify those in any way.

The rear Nivomats have correct spacers installed for matching the front lowering which will give you a slight rake - and will look basically the same as my V does (save for the Maggie and 275's on 9.25" rears). You will also get a pair of factory brand new rear coil springs either uncut or cut 1/2 or 3/4 coil, your choice. I finally settled on 5/8 coil for my V - go figure.

Price - $350 outright delivered to your door or $200 exchange (you send me your front and rear shocks and rear spriings back once your done, return shipping at your expense and I'll refund you $150).

Option two - a brand new set as outlined above save for the front shocks have machined grooves at .75" and 1" giving you a fine tuning choice of .25" in the front, as well as rear. By cutting 3/4 coil off of the rears you'll end up lowering about 1/4" more - or about 1.2" all around - so use the lowest groove in the fronts to compensate.

Price - $450 outright delivered to your door or $300 exchange for your USED shocks and rear springs.

One caveat - if you know your shocks are junk or damaged - please don't screw me. Trust me - this is basically my cost on these items at this point, and I'm doing this to be nice, not make money.

If there are more than a few people interested and some of you opt to send me back your used items we can make more "kits" as time goes by - making many happy CTS and *********** in the process :)

Remember - I'm not in business here and sorry if this is technically not in the correct forum.

Wildwhl out - email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
if someone can verify that these shocks and springs bolt right on to the regular cts, i wouldn't mind buying a set for my car. I have a set of eibach springs for the regular cts, can i use those with your shocks?

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure - they'd work with the base V shocks - and I believe - but can't guarantee - that they will go right onto a regular cts. Odysseus knows for sure I believe :hmm:

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
They will work. I replaced my base CTS shocks with the CTS-V shocks when I lowered them and they fit fine.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
:yeah: The V springs and shocks/struts are a direct bolt-in to a regular CTS, because a CTS-V is a hot-rodded optioned-out CTS! They share the same chassis with upgraded drivetrain, bigger brakes, and 27% stiffer suspension being the main differences.

Be aware that a CTS-V is 250-300lbs heavier than the CTS (depending on whether you have a manual or auto). If you use the V springs, rather than your originals, a CTS will sit slightly (~1/4") higher than a V with the same mods (300 lbs spread over four springs that are each 400 lbs/in). I'm guessing that since the V sits about 1/2" lower than the stock CTS to begin with, with the lowering kit, it should sit just about right (~1" lower). This is purely analytical observation, since I've never installed V springs on a regular CTS and measured the difference.

Eibach makes progressive springs for the CTS that lowers the car 1.2". This particular mod is meant for the V since they don't have a similar aftermarket spring, but will work equally well for the CTS. You'll still need WildWhl's nivomat spacers, regardless, if you want to lower your CTS and keep the nivomats, even if you use Eibach springs, rather than the turned V front shocks and cut rear springs.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V SOLD /// 2009 CTS-V own
1,036 Posts
wildwhl.
Thank you much....:yawn: :thumbsup: :worship: :cheers:

Bill

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Devil -

I don't have any FG2's at the moment :(

I'll deduct the springs from the price - I think they were $120 a pair shipped from GM Partsdirect - but will have to check first.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
wildwhl said:
Devil -

I don't have any FG2's at the moment :(

I'll deduct the springs from the price - I think they were $120 a pair shipped from GM Partsdirect - but will have to check first.
i gave up on getting my car fixed from the dealership. Even with rear end whine loud enough for my mother to hear but dealership techs cannot hear them. Eventhough all my complaints have been discovered after 4+ visits or so i just can't get them to service it the first time so i'm going to start running my car in auto-x events.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you tried swapping the fluid out of the diff to something synthetic, or even new GM fluid?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
wildwhl said:
Have you tried swapping the fluid out of the diff to something synthetic, or even new GM fluid?
i also have occasional powertrain jerk. I may try to do that this weekend but i'm giving up on getting my car fixed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
wildwhl I'm new to this forum and also new to the CTS-V, I would like to lower my car but I don't know much about it, all I know is that is a bad ass car, fast and I did noticed the rear wheel hop, like I said, I would like to see my car lower to the ground but I just don't want to mess things up, can you explain to me what is it that your kit includes, and what do I need to get it installed?? I don't know what part of Nevada you are at, perhaps you are from Vegas too, and can guide me in the right direction, thanks in advance.

Jose

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vegas V -

Quite frankly my "kit" does nothing that you can't do on your own, provided you have access to a lather, burnoff saw or die grinder, coil spring compressor, jack, jackstands and hand tools.

I thank the free-thinking and outstanding members of these forums for the solution - I was just the first one with time to try it (OK, I did figure out the front shocks on my own).

Basically, by turning a .063" wide by .035" deep groove in the front shock - coincident with how much you want to lower (or raise?) the front of the car - you change the lower mounting point of the coil spring. No suspension geometry is changed (other than you are operating at a different location than stock ride height) and nothing done can't be reversed - simply move the retaining ring back to the original location and you're back to stock ride height in the front.

The rear is slightly more involved - or at least - less reversible - since you will need to cut the stock spring. This is why I've assembled the "kits" above. You get a spare set of shocks and rear springs to play with. If you hate it - put the stock stuff back in and Ebay or sell the other stuff here - there seems to be plenty of demand. The rear involves cutting the rear springs by about 1/2 coil or more, depending on desired net ride height reduction (1/2 coil = -.75"). Since the rear shocks are Nivomats (self leveling) the topmounts need to be "shimmed down" in essence with spacers to correspond with the level of drop achieved by modifying the springs.

Sounds tough - but it is really easy. From start to finish I could do a V in 3 hours - but since in 3 hours I can slam about $10K worth of printed sheet through one of my Heidelberg's - I'll do that instead ;) (my brother's the mechanic, not me).

In my humble opinion - the conservative approach I've used does not negatively affect the V's handling traits or limit the suspension travel for normal street use of 9/10's driving. I must confess, however, I'm not the track person that someone like Dreamin or Sefa01 might be - and I can't offer any real world 10/10 driving review of this mod. I'd like Dreamin to try it out (hey Zeemer - if I send you one of the kits above - will you try it at the track for some real world knowledge so the rest of the DIY world can get on with lowering their V this way - or just looking for other solutions?).

I'm in the real part of Nevada, not Vegas :D

That'd be Reno to you Jose - and I'm just kidding. Vegas is cool - but I can't handle the heat. Must live near trees and 60 degree water with mountain roads and snow in the winter - or I become one unhappy V driver :sneaky:

·
Registered
17 Posts
wildwhl, I currently have an eibach lowering kit on my V but want the rear down a little bit. Fron the sound of it I think I can do it myself but wasn't sure exactly about the spacers and where they go. DO you hvae any pics of this by any chance...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts