Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!! Newbie to the forum. Just hopped on the Caddy bandwagon since owning BMW's since 1999. Got the black 2006 3.6L CTS, and looking to do a couple of mods. Currently running the stock 17's from the 17" Sport Package. Already put on the V-Grill and got the V badges, 30% tint on all side and rear windows

Any suggestions on the best options for switcing to 18's and lowering the car about 1 to 1.5 inches in front and back. I've seen the Eibach spring option, but for whatever reason they aren't recommending the application on the 3.6.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Carefull if you have the self leveling feature in the rear. It will just raise the back end back up, even with lower srpings. Some people have done it, but you have to make a bunch of mods. Someone here was making a bracket or something so you could use the stock setup w/new springs.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The Eibach springs work on all CTS's. The self leveling shocks are the issue, if you've got them. They come with the sport suspension option (1SC or PDX) or Xenon HID headlights. Eibach recommends downgrading to the non-load leveling shocks on the CTS. If you don't have the Nivomats, then it's not an issue. Several of us have upgraded to the CTS V shocks and done the WildWhl lowering mod to get the rear end down. Instructions are over at CadillacFAQ.com.

Beware announcing you've put V badges on your car. You're gonna get a lot of flak. Like putting an M badge on a BMW 318, advertising a 400 HP LS6 or LS2 on your V6 car won't fly far on this forum. There are now enough mods out (intake and exhaust) to get your 3.6L to put out over 300HP, but that's nowhere near a stock V. Many of us have put the 'CTS' badge that's already on the trunk, on the front fenders, where a V badge would go. It looks much better, IMHO.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
733 Posts
kes2606b said:
Hey!! Newbie to the forum. Just hopped on the Caddy bandwagon since owning BMW's since 1999. Got the black 2006 3.6L CTS, and looking to do a couple of mods. Currently running the stock 17's from the 17" Sport Package. Already put on the V-Grill and got the V badges, 30% tint on all side and rear windows

Any suggestions on the best options for switcing to 18's and lowering the car about 1 to 1.5 inches in front and back. I've seen the Eibach spring option, but for whatever reason they aren't recommending the application on the 3.6.
I have the Eibachs on my 3.6L with a nice 1.2" drop. You can check it out. As discussed in many previous threads, most go with these mods to start - Wheels, Tint, intake, exhaust, and some like to lower their car. AS FAR AS THE V BADGES GO - BAD IDEA. I THINK THAT'S ONE STEP TOO FAR. Just my opinion though. :welcome:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
onephatguy said:
I have the Eibachs on my 3.6L with a nice 1.2" drop. You can check it out. As discussed in many previous threads, most go with these mods to start - Wheels, Tint, intake, exhaust, and some like to lower their car. AS FAR AS THE V BADGES GO - BAD IDEA. I THINK THAT'S ONE STEP TOO FAR. Just my opinion though. :welcome:
I have the same as 1PhatGuy..Eibachs..nice drop if you ask me. Attached is a pic, plus you can check out more pics on my link below..Welcome...

·
Registered
18 Posts
odysseus said:
The Eibach springs work on all CTS's. The self leveling shocks are the issue, if you've got them. They come with the sport suspension option (1SC or PDX) or Xenon HID headlights. Eibach recommends downgrading to the non-load leveling shocks on the CTS. If you don't have the Nivomats, then it's not an issue. Several of us have upgraded to the CTS V shocks and done the WildWhl lowering mod to get the rear end down. Instructions are over at CadillacFAQ.com.

Beware announcing you've put V badges on your car. You're gonna get a lot of flak. Like putting an M badge on a BMW 318, advertising a 400 HP LS6 or LS2 on your V6 car won't fly far on this forum. There are now enough mods out (intake and exhaust) to get your 3.6L to put out over 300HP, but that's nowhere near a stock V. Many of us have put the 'CTS' badge that's already on the trunk, on the front fenders, where a V badge would go. It looks much better, IMHO.
Odysseus

I have installed the Eibach springs and went back to the non-load leveling shocks, but would like better performance from my shocks. Do the CTSV shocks fit with the Eibach lowering springs or are mods needed?

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
kes2606b said:

First off, welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Second, LOSE THE V BADGES!!!!!

Theres pride in being a CTS V6 owner, posing as a V only diminshes the reputation of everyone here because even with all the mods available, you cant do the V justice.

Now that I've got that out of the way... Sounds like youve already got the mod bug, it bites just about everyone here. Your tint sound cool, and I also like the look of the V grill. I've got a set of Eibach springs and V shocks (a simple mod makes these work, check cadillacfaq.com for more info) that I'm waiting until spring to install, cant hardly wait. A lot of people are also looking to the new 18" wheel sport appearance package for inspiration for other appearance mods (grill, rocker panels, rear spoiler, etc). Other options you can look into are exhaust. A lot of folks go with the Borla if they can afford it, or they'll try to pick up a used V exhaust and mod that if their budget is tight. Volant seems to be the most popular intake people around here to persue. I'm not an expert on wheels but I know lots of folks have gone with 18s so that shouldnt be a problem.

My best advice is to check the forum often, you'll find lots of great ideas and advice, and lots of friendly people too!

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Paulfl05, The V shocks are a direct bolt-in, but will require removal of the upper spacer per the WildWhl mod (described over at the FAQ) to get the rear to lower. The Eibachs are within a few percent of the V stock spring rates, so I figured the V shocks should be a perfect match. They are stiffer, though, but make the car handle very nicely. You can replace the rears very easily, but the fronts will require removing the strut assembly.

18's fit perfectly, if you match offsets. The stock offset is 51mm, but if you're going wider (from 7" to 8"), you'll need to compensate or you're tires will rub on the front upper pinch bolt. 245 tires fit great on an 8" rim, but keep the offset to 40mm for a perfect fit. This applies whether you install 17's, or go all the way to 20's. Going wider than 8" requires some homework. Marine is running wider tires (10"?) and wheels (275's) on the rear, but I don't recall his offset. It's somewhat more tolerant on the rears, if you want a staggered (275's on the rear, 245's on the front) look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
odysseus said:
Paulfl05, The V shocks are a direct bolt-in, but will require removal of the upper spacer per the WildWhl mod (described over at the FAQ) to get the rear to lower. The Eibachs are within a few percent of the V stock spring rates, so I figured the V shocks should be a perfect match. They are stiffer, though, but make the car handle very nicely. You can replace the rears very easily, but the fronts will require removing the strut assembly.

18's fit perfectly, if you match offsets. The stock offset is 51mm, but if you're going wider (from 7" to 8"), you'll need to compensate or you're tires will rub on the front upper pinch bolt. 245 tires fit great on an 8" rim, but keep the offset to 40mm for a perfect fit. This applies whether you install 17's, or go all the way to 20's. Going wider than 8" requires some homework. Marine is running wider tires (10"?) and wheels (275's) on the rear, but I don't recall his offset. It's somewhat more tolerant on the rears, if you want a staggered (275's on the rear, 245's on the front) look.
Odysseus

Thanks. Looks like I'll be buying some CTSV shocks. I've already done the V sway bars.

For everyones info. I tried to have the top shaft of Nivomats shortened at a machine shop. Ooops, we did not realize the shaft was gun barrel bored with a dampening spring and gas charging in it. Needless to say the machinist was surprised. Do not try this!

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
555 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Geez..I guess I should return my V badges as not to offend these guys
Unless you have 400hp under the hood, it would probably be a good idea. Putting V-badges on a V-6 is like putting Z28 badges on a six cylinder Camaro. The two cars are worlds apart!

Bob, I have a lot of respect for everything that you have contributed to this forum. Your helpful guidance was one of the reasons I became a member. How could you let me down this way? I am so disillusioned now, it's like finally figuring out that there is no Santa Claus...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts