Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... after reading a few threads on these forums I think I got it, if everything goes as planned I will have my 03 cts by tomorrow! it has the projector headlights, so i think I have the self leveling shocks in the back, right? so then the only way to lower it using the eibach springs is to get the cts-v shocks? there is absolutely no way to keep the same shocks?

the car is black and these are the rims I am buying for it http://www.victoriatire.com/wheels.html?&pkg_tire=245/40x18&checked_size=18&&pkg_tire=[PKGTIRE]&cart=11306162995030657&brand=VOLANTE&PICNUM=3060&&checkAvailable=F&name=SPADE%20BLACK&make=CADILLAC&model=CTS%2003-05&size=18 I am also gonna get sway bars and and intake.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
No the CTS-V shocks are also self leveling you either have to put the stock shock that come on the CTS without the CTS performance package or there is a mod you can do to your self leveling shocks.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Make sure you have self leveling shocks first. The rear shocks will have Nivomat stamped on them. All CTS's have projector headlamps but only the HID equiped headlamps come with self leveling shocks.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
In addition to what Mbai2 said, if you have a sport suspension, you will also have self-leveling...I learned the hard way (not checkiing with the forum first) and after I lowered the car, the rear still sat high because of the load leveling shocks...so I changed to stock CTS shocks and pretty much "gave away" my load leveling shocks at a very cheap price....the good thing is that it was a forum member who made the purchase of my load leveling shocks.....Now there is a fix for keeping your load leveling shocks and lowering your car...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
which fix are you guys talking about? I thought that fix only worked with the cts-v shocks...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
az03cts said:
which fix are you guys talking about? I thought that fix only worked with the cts-v shocks...
I thought I saw somewhere on the forum where you can lower your car and keep your load leveling...as far as the rims, I went to the website, but the page didn't show your selection...the page was for picking out your rims....re-post the correct link....

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Mbai2 said:
Make sure you have self leveling shocks first. The rear shocks will have Nivomat stamped on them. All CTS's have projector headlamps but only the HID equiped headlamps come with self leveling shocks.
Ok, so how do I tell the difference between the HID and normal headlamps then? :hmm:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Eibach recommends that you use the non-load leveling shock with their springs, if you have the Nivomats. WildWhl figured out a very simple (and almost free) way to lower the V's rear Nivomat self leveling shocks, by simply removing the 1" spacer between the shock top and the top pillow mount. The regular CTS has the upper tube/spacer/top pillow mount as one piece so is not easily modifyable.

I ended up using the V FE4 shocks/struts, since the Eibachs are within 3% of the V stock spring rate. I figured they're well matched. I lowered my FE4 Nivomats with the WildWhl method, and the rear dropped about 1".

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
Ok, so how do I tell the difference between the HID and normal headlamps then? :hmm:
1. Read the windows sticker
2. If you have headlight washers, then you have HID's.
4. Look carefully on the headlight lens cover (clear plastic part) right in front of the projector. The halogens will have HB4 molded into it. The HID's have something else...I can't remember what it is. This applies to OEM HID's only.
3. HID's look inherently different from halogen lamps. They turn on instantly to a certain intensity and then take a few minutes to reach full intensity. Halogens fade from 0 lumens to full brightness gradually within a few seconds. HID's also turn instanly off from full intensity to 0. Halogens have to fade off because the filament needs to cool below a certain temperature to stop radiating light. HID's are brighter and whiter than halogens. Also, if you happen to have a diffraction film, you can look at the headlights through it. HID's will show a discreet band seperation while halogens show the entire color spectrum.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
Have you turned them on? You'll know the difference when you see them on. Also the HID's have headlight washers built in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
For the regular CTS nivomats, it's not as simple. The spacer is molded into the outer plastic tube, which is also molded to the top pillow mount. On the CTS-V, these are all separate peices that can be disassembled. If you could acquire just the upper part of V Nivomats, the tube, spacer and top pillow mount will bolt onto our shocks.

Here's a pic of a modded V (FE4) shock, next to the stock CTS nivomat. Notice the spacer that's molded to the CTS shock on the left (between the top pillow mount and the 'accordian'.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
If you can find a set that were replaced under warranty, that might be easiest at the dealer, since there's no part number for parts of the shocks, only the assembly. They'd probably be happy to get rid of a set of bad shocks.

There was a set of V Nivomats on EBay a short while ago for around $150. If you ask over in the V forum, there's usually someone who's got a set leftover from an FG2 upgrade. I'll bet you can get a set for under $100 over there (that's what I did).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
odysseus