Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
06 Cadillac CTS 3.6L [Sold :( ] 02 Mustang GT 5Spd
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have been doing research and I have decided against cutting stock springs. I will instead be getting actual lowering springs. Any one have any suggestions? I want to lower the car down a bit and also get bigger rims but im worried about rubbing. If i got one of these kits what size rims/tires would i need?

http://www.andysautosport.com/cadillac/2003_9999_cts/suspension/lowering_springs/sprint/

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2549A0A0.aspx

http://www.tunersdepot.com/Suspension/Lowering-Springs/H-R-Sport-Lowering-Springs---03-07-Cadillac-CTS-3-2L--V6-3507.html

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
None of the above. Assuming you have the FE1 or FE2 suspension you can lower with Hotchkis springs off of eBay for around $100. I am going to be ordering these soon.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
Ok so i have been doing research and I have decided against cutting stock springs. I will instead be getting actual lowering springs. Any one have any suggestions? I want to lower the car down a bit and also get bigger rims but im worried about rubbing. If i got one of these kits what size rims/tires would i need?

http://www.andysautosport.com/cadillac/2003_9999_cts/suspension/lowering_springs/sprint/

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2549A0A0.aspx

http://www.tunersdepot.com/Suspension/Lowering-Springs/H-R-Sport-Lowering-Springs---03-07-Cadillac-CTS-3-2L--V6-3507.html
if you was even considering cutting your stock springs to make any kind of drop, you was asking for the worst possible ride ever. i dont understand why people just dont spend the money to do it right

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
if you was even considering cutting your stock springs to make any kind of drop, you was asking for the worst possible ride ever. i dont understand why people just dont spend the money to do it right
Agreed....I don't get it. I have been digging through all of the old posts (with the search function;)) to find pictures of CTSs with 18s and Hotchkis springs and all I found was Caddy916 and another guy but they had both bought Hotchkis Springs and cut an extra inch off. Wow...that's dedication to slamming your ride. Seems like they could have just cut the stock springs right?

BlackCadillac91....What size rims are you running?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS
67 Posts
None of the above. Assuming you have the FE1 or FE2 suspension you can lower with Hotchkis springs off of eBay for around $100. I am going to be ordering these soon.
Good to know, I had Hotchkis Proline springs (and sways) on my SRT and they were fantastic.

·
Registered
05 CTS 3.6L Raven Black Volant CAI,V-Exhaust,to many to list
567 Posts
I've got 18's with Eibach Pro Springs and Eibach Pro sways and what a difference. It habdles so much better and espeicaly when turning off a highway ramp at a resonable speed. Corners like its on rails. I'll take the Eibachs over the Hotchkis any day.

·
Registered
NONE - was 2006 CTS. Now 2012 4LT Centennial GS Corvette
388 Posts
I've got 18's with Eibach Pro Springs and Eibach Pro sways and what a difference. It habdles so much better and espeicaly when turning off a highway ramp at a resonable speed. Corners like its on rails. I'll take the Eibachs over the Hotchkis any day.
So have you run both sets of springs? That's the only qualified way to state that.

I like the ride/drive with my Hotchkis springs but was very disappointed with the rear going down 2.5" instead of the stated 1.5" and not being able to align the camber on the rear. My ultimate fix was to raise the rear 3/4" with spacers but I had to go back under the car again and it's a PITA. Everything's fine now.

I will say if I was doing it again I'd go with Eibach as you wouldn't have the issues with the rear alignment but you also only get a 1.2" drop instead of 1.5". I've had Eibachs on the rear of the Avalanche for about 7 years now and they finally sagged enough that I had to add a spacer to bring it back up to level.

·
Registered
06 Cadillac CTS 3.6L [Sold :( ] 02 Mustang GT 5Spd
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the ride/drive with my Hotchkis springs but was very disappointed with the rear going down 2.5" instead of the stated 1.5" and not being able to align the camber on the rear. My ultimate fix was to raise the rear 3/4" with spacers but I had to go back under the car again and it's a PITA. Everything's fine now.
Where would you get the spacers from? and what kind would you suggest?

BlackCadillac91....What size rims are you running?
Stock 16's lol...

·
Registered
388 Posts
QUOTE=BlackCadillac91

Where would you get the spacers from? and what kind would you suggest?

I actually made mine because I couldn't find any ready-made ones. I was replacing the wood trim on my house with solid vinyl and the "boards" were 3/4" thick. I cut out correct-sized discs to add between the top of the rear coil spring and the spring bucket, placing them between the stock spring isolator and the coil. The stock rubber isolator is secured to the center of the upper bucket with a plastic push pin that could not be used with the spacer so I used a bolt and nut with washers to secure both the isolator and the spacer to the top of the bucket. Now I no longer have negative camber that can't be adjusted out.

The spacers for the Avalanche are readily available Daystar injection molded polyurethane.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
I like the ride/drive with my Hotchkis springs but was very disappointed with the rear going down 2.5" instead of the stated 1.5" and not being able to align the camber on the rear.
same question.... Should I just add spacers from the get go or is it possible that my experience could be totally different from yours.

By the way, the rear is only supposed to drop 1 1/8". Yours dropped 2 1/2"? Maybe you got a bad set of springs?

·
Registered
388 Posts
same question.... Should I just add spacers from the get go or is it possible that my experience could be totally different from yours.

By the way, the rear is only supposed to drop 1 1/8". Yours dropped 2 1/2"? Maybe you got a bad set of springs?
If you have the Hotckis springs I would install them without a spacer first and drive it for a little while to let the springs settle out (I drove probably 1000 miles on mine before I did anything but I was replacing the stock 16s with 17s and the tires were almost shot so I didn't care if they had excessive wear). I think each car is a little different so yours may be OK. Every car I've seen with the Hotchkis springs appears to have the negative camber but as long as it can be adjusted at least to within the Sport suspension specifications you shouldn't have too much wear on the tires. I based the thickness of my spacer on the amount of negative camber on the driver's side, which was the worst, and took an educated guess on how much it would take to get it back at least within the minimum specification. I think that a 1/2" spacer probably would have gotten me close but at this point I'm happy and I'm not going under the car again.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
If you have the Hotckis springs I would install them without a spacer first and drive it for a little while to let the springs settle out (I drove probably 1000 miles on mine before I did anything but I was replacing the stock 16s with 17s and the tires were almost shot so I didn't care if they had excessive wear). I think each car is a little different so yours may be OK. Every car I've seen with the Hotchkis springs appears to have the negative camber but as long as it can be adjusted at least to within the Sport suspension specifications you shouldn't have too much wear on the tires.
Sounds like there could be some QC issues? Maybe I'll go with the Eibachs. It's only an extra $130

1 - 14 of 14 Posts