·
Registered
SRX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
caddy stock.jpg
low caddy1.jpg
low caddy2.jpg

As you can see from the before picture, my '06 AWD N* MRC always sat nose high and I hated the look of it. I was doing some service work on it, and decided to cut one coil out of the front springs. The 2nd and third pics are the result. I'm pretty happy with it. It still rides nicely, and looks vastly better IMO.

·
Registered
SRX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize the spring rate will be incrementally firmer, and that the strut piston will be about 1" further into strut body (considering the 1.5" drop and that the strut is inset somewhat from the face of the wheel mounting face), but it appears there is still good range of motion of the strut and that it isn't far from its original spec.

We'll see how the MRC struts deal with it.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
You did not change the spring rate by cutting the length, you changed the length.

Is the spring progressive or are the coils spaced the same the whole spring?

·
Registered
04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4
223 Posts
The suspension travel is reduced, its closer to maxing out. Cutting the spring changes the spring rate, it could still be within tolerance but I wouldn't do it on a 4400Lb vehicle...

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I don't agree so lets talk.

How can you change the rate of a spring by cutting it?

Ok so the car is lower now yes but how is that going to stress the shock, if it were to "max out" the bump stop would be hit long before the shock bottoms out, does the shock see more stress being lower in the travel, the rate of movement has not changed.

I'm not being lippy at all either I just like facts, your not giving me any.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD V6 Premium Package
1 Posts
Hi 1st post!

I have to chime in.
I am a mechanical engineer so I know about springs.
This applies to a uniform wound spring.
If you cut cut coils out of a spring, you do (2) things
(1) you decrease the travel of the spring before it becomes a solid (bottoms out)
(2) you increase the force that the spring will generate (the spring rate)

The above is only true if you do not lengthen the spring back to its original length (by stretching coils)
If you stretch the spring back to its original length by stretching coils, the opposite of (1) and (2) will occur.

Ideally a spring functions best when you keep the overall travel of the spring to less than 30% of its total length.

2007 SRX V6

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Ok fair enough, we have increased the rate of the spring, by how much we don't know.

So now then lets decide if this will cause a failure of the shock.

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods
1,148 Posts
The SRX has a tapered coil spring so I'm not sure if it qualifies as a uniformly wound coil spring. However, since the OP says "it still rides nicely" whatever changes in spring rate that might have occurred appear to be minimal. I would agree with Whiplash that the suspension geometry has changed but I'm with Cone in that I can't see how any more stress would be placed on the shock. The change in geometry will likely change the camber a bit and possibly the caster, so I would have that checked to see if it is still within spec.

Bill

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD Luxury Performance Package (Moonstone)
93 Posts
I grew up around lowered vehicles and if it wasn't bagged, then your springs were cut. I know that this is technically incorrect, and many people disagree with cutting springs. Granted this was all on older vehicles (mainly classic hot rods), I guess a firm and bumpy ride was an acceptable trade off to achieve the desired stance. If cutting 1 coil off doesn't kill the ride, but improves the look, I say GREAT! I've thought about doing it if I can't find Eibach springs for mine. Your SRX looks great, you only did the front right? it looks to have a slight rake. As a random thought....I wonder if the V8 and V6 have different springs since the weight is different. If so, it should be possible to put V6 springs on a V8 and get a lowered ride. I know my V8 swapped 240z had different springs to handle the weight of the V8.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
My 2 cents ( probably not even worth that) is that the shock would have less movement, given it will be compressed more in it's rest state. Not sure if that's good or bad, but on the face of it, doesn't seem to be a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts