Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an amp/sub that stopped playing several weeks ago... it would work at times and then stop working, etc. I tested a different speaker which had the same behavior and just assumed that my amp might be about shot. Unrelated... I thought the amp was about shot. :) So I found somebody with the same model amp I have and tested it in my truck. All seemed to play well so I bought it and went home to dial it in. While at home it began to have the same behavior. Boo. I'll resell the extra amp so no big deal there. I did a bit more of a deep dive and found that the voltage in the truck is dropping to 11.4V while running. My radar detector has a voltage meter on it so I've been watching it while driving the past couple days and am seeing it between 11.4 at the low end to 14+ at the high end.

The battery was replaced in September. The truck is a 2008. Alternator? Is the new battery no good? I would expect the voltage to remain over 13V while driving but don't seem to see that regularly. It is most often in the 12:ish volt range.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Escalade
62 Posts
What voltage does the vehicle display on the dash? Have you tried checking the voltage on the battery terminals with the engine running?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had same thing, than replaced battery it went away. I remember driving for few hours and the voltage will drop to 12 V, but when getting darker the lights will be up running, and voltage will go 13v and even 14 V. So it seems to me it was not alternator, otherwise it will be always running 12 V.

I'm afraid when battery is dying and it's increasing internal resistance, so alternator stop charging for some reason.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I stopped by AutoZone yesterday to have them test the battery and alternator and everything passed. I watched the voltage for the 30 min leading up to my stop and it never really dropped below about 13.7V. Odd. The only thing that isn't behaving normally is my amp so maybe I'll just put a capacitor in place for now and see if that doesn't help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm still under warranty, I will need oil change, so I will go to dealer and will ask them to check it. I post back results. I'm planing some around 4 th of July.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts