Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone did'nt catch the update on the FAQ I recently instaleld a low temp stat. See the install here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/thermostat/index.html

As an update I am very happy with it. I only wish I had done it sooner. Anything to keep the temps down at the track is a plus in my book. When cruising on the freeway regardless of outside temperature spectrum (50-83F so far) the coolant remains at a perfect 176F. I also notice it has brought the oil temperature down about 15F.

I'm still awaiting an oil adapter plate from a friend at GM to install the external oil cooler. If there is any interest I can ask how much they are and sell them to forum members for exactly what I would pay plus postage. Its very GM looking with the same GM Performance Division badgeing engraved as seen underhood.

*************
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
Generally it has to get above a threshold temp before you get the fan run on. So maybe you don't reach it or needs to be lowered so that you do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Aaron,
There is interest in the oil-adapter plate. Is it any different than the offerings from Jeg's or Summit?

An oil-thermostat is very much needed here in NY, as in the winter the temps wouldn't get high enough to evaporate the moisture in the oil. I wrap tin-foil around my Duc's oil cooler for the same reason...if I don't, there's the white goopy slop in the oil...that's moisture and not good for the internals.

Thanks,
ace996
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
ace996 said:
Aaron,
There is interest in the oil-adapter plate. Is it any different than the offerings from Jeg's or Summit?

An oil-thermostat is very much needed here in NY, as in the winter the temps wouldn't get high enough to evaporate the moisture in the oil. I wrap tin-foil around my Duc's oil cooler for the same reason...if I don't, there's the white goopy slop in the oil...that's moisture and not good for the internals.

Thanks,
ace996
If your riding your Duc when it's cold, then my hat's off to you sir. Your obviously a real motorcyclist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
ace996 said:
Aaron,
There is interest in the oil-adapter plate. Is it any different than the offerings from Jeg's or Summit?

An oil-thermostat is very much needed here in NY, as in the winter the temps wouldn't get high enough to evaporate the moisture in the oil. I wrap tin-foil around my Duc's oil cooler for the same reason...if I don't, there's the white goopy slop in the oil...that's moisture and not good for the internals.

Thanks,
ace996
I have an adapter, thermo, and cooler if anyone is interested. Im not going to use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,007 Posts
Aaron,

I wanted the Stealth tune, and I wanted the LPE and a 160 thermostat built into the tune, so I slapped the filter and stat on at the same time, then got my PCM back and slapped that on as well, and started motoring.

I discovered the following anomaly: I fill up with gas, hit the freeway for a two hour controlled run (e.g. long run on cruise control at moderate speeds, keeping my foot out of it). Filled up with gas upon exiting the freeway and calculated MPG. Compared this to MPG on controlled runs done prior to 160+LPE+Stealth tune.

Result: I'm down about 4 MPG on the freeway. Not good in these times of increasing capital requirements for refined petrochemicals... I can't for the life of me figure out how it could possibly be the LPE, so I'm guessing either the tune is pumping more fuel at steady state speeds, or the 160 degree thermostat is causing the engine to operate at lower efficiency.

I'll expiriment when I get time (pull this off and test; pull that off and test), but I'd be interested to hear whether your highway mileage decreases after this mod.

Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
lawfive said:
Aaron,

I wanted the Stealth tune, and I wanted the LPE and a 160 thermostat built into the tune, so I slapped the filter and stat on at the same time, then got my PCM back and slapped that on as well, and started motoring.

I discovered the following anomaly: I fill up with gas, hit the freeway for a two hour controlled run (e.g. long run on cruise control at moderate speeds, keeping my foot out of it). Filled up with gas upon exiting the freeway and calculated MPG. Compared this to MPG on controlled runs done prior to 160+LPE+Stealth tune.

Result: I'm down about 4 MPG on the freeway. Not good in these times of increasing capital requirements for refined petrochemicals... I can't for the life of me figure out how it could possibly be the LPE, so I'm guessing either the tune is pumping more fuel at steady state speeds, or the 160 degree thermostat is causing the engine to operate at lower efficiency.

I'll expiriment when I get time (pull this off and test; pull that off and test), but I'd be interested to hear whether your highway mileage decreases after this mod.

Jerry

Exactly, Im in the same boat. I knew the blower would kill economy but I have been thinking that the colder engine with the stat is causing more fuel to be used. I am going to take LTFT readings and send them to stealth to see what is going on. Unfortunately its been raining for the last 3 freekin weeks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
Typically what they call them and what they actually do aren't the same. I have an LPE 160 tstat in my GTO, but it keeps the car in the 180 range. One guy tested it in water and said it was really a 174 F tstat.

I think if you buy from a vendor like LPE and tell them what application it's going in they give you what you really want even though they call it the ever popular 160 tstat.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lasstss said:
I have an adapter, thermo, and cooler if anyone is interested. Im not going to use it.
lastss, I am interested. Can you post details?

Thanks,
*************
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lawfive said:
Aaron,

I wanted the Stealth tune, and I wanted the LPE and a 160 thermostat built into the tune, so I slapped the filter and stat on at the same time, then got my PCM back and slapped that on as well, and started motoring.

I discovered the following anomaly: I fill up with gas, hit the freeway for a two hour controlled run (e.g. long run on cruise control at moderate speeds, keeping my foot out of it). Filled up with gas upon exiting the freeway and calculated MPG. Compared this to MPG on controlled runs done prior to 160+LPE+Stealth tune.

Result: I'm down about 4 MPG on the freeway. Not good in these times of increasing capital requirements for refined petrochemicals... I can't for the life of me figure out how it could possibly be the LPE, so I'm guessing either the tune is pumping more fuel at steady state speeds, or the 160 degree thermostat is causing the engine to operate at lower efficiency.

I'll expiriment when I get time (pull this off and test; pull that off and test), but I'd be interested to hear whether your highway mileage decreases after this mod.

Jerry
Have you brought this to Stealth's attention? I can't see this as being the thermostat's fault given the temperature around here.

*************
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AmesCTS-V said:
Typically what they call them and what they actually do aren't the same. I have an LPE 160 tstat in my GTO, but it keeps the car in the 180 range. One guy tested it in water and said it was really a 174 F tstat.

I think if you buy from a vendor like LPE and tell them what application it's going in they give you what you really want even though they call it the ever popular 160 tstat.
The important thing to remember is that number (160, 180) is when the thermostat begins to open. It may not fully open for another 8-10 degrees.

*************
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
GTP
Top