Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade AWD Premium, 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I'm getting ready to take a road trip with some of my buddies coming up this week and just had my truck in with my mechanic to do some maintenance before taking her on the road.

Among other things, it was time for a transmission fluid/filter change. Got the car back on Thursday, and since then I've experienced some noticeable, albeit sporadic slippage during low speeds. This usually occurs after I've let off the brakes and need to accelerate, say while making turns at a traffic light or traveling through a parking lot. It will slip out of gear and then catch itself, causing the car to jerk somewhat violently. Based on my logic, I think it's from 2nd to 3rd, although it could be from 1st to 2nd.

Again, it is rather sporadic and has only happened once per day since I've had the car back. Haven't experienced anything else noticeable. Wanted to see if anyone has experienced this and what the potential issues could be (hopefully minor) before I leave with my buddies. Obviously safety is the number one priority; I don't want to leave us stranded or God forbid have something more serious happen. Could it just be low fluid level? How easy is it to check the transmission fluid level/top it off if need be?

Any and all insight is appreciated. I plan on getting a second opinion before leaving on Thursday, but wanted to pick everyone's brains first. 122k miles on the truck if it makes any difference. Thanks, in advance!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've heard bad things happen after changing out the transmission fluid after a long period of time. Was this the first transmission service done? Hopefully it wasn't. I'm pretty sure there is a dipstick for your transmission fluid located in the upper left area.

·
Registered
A red 2007 escalade base and a orange 2004 lamborghini galla
167 Posts
What year is the truck and if it's 2nd to 3rd I know the solution make sure to carefully check and make sure what shift it slips on and does it make any sounds?

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
With engine running and warm, pull out the transmission dip stick. Clean it off and put it back in, pull it out and carefully look at the level. It should be in the HOT hatch area. The fluid should look cherry red, not dark. If you smell it, it should not smell like burnt fluid.

Hopefully it is just a bit low. it is recommended NOT to have anyone do a FLUSH service on the transmission. There are several write-ups on Filter and fluid service. If your a bit handy, you can do it yourself or have someone help.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts