Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2001 STS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read this forum but can't get a definitive answer on the low side port. I have 2 ports on the same line within about 6 inches of each other. The front orifice is larger than the rear orifice. They aren't color coded or labeled. They are both on a smaller line the the larger line below. I tried looking at a diagram previously posted but the hyperlink won't connect anymore.
Please help.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,850 Posts
Not sure what your question is, but the smaller port is the low side

·
2001 STS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what your question is, but the smaller port is the low side
This is my confusion from a post on this forum:
[IMG alt="Hipoint"]https://www.cadillacforums.com/d1/avatars/m/97/97384.jpg?1562749524[/IMG]
Hipoint
Registered

2005 Deville DHS
Joined Oct 5, 2009
638 Posts

#4 Jun 11, 2010
The port nearest the camera is the lo side port, yes. Got nothing to do with the size of the port itself (there are adapters available for your guage set). What you've got to look at is the PIPE (for want of a better word) that it's ATTACHED to. The lo side pipe is ALWAYS bigger than the hi side pipe (gas takes up more room than liquid).

# of pounds of refrigerant needed depends on the vehicle specs. I just keep adding till the lo side reaches aound 35 psi (in moderately warm weather, say 70 to 85 degrees).

I'm including a picture of my A/C line with the ports. I'm concerned because I don't want to hook up to the wrong port.
IMG_0715.JPG

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,380 Posts
Incorrect information in that post quote. The quoted member has not logged in for 7.5 years.

The low side is downstream of the expansion orifice - nearest the firewall.

Our systems take a specific weight of refrigerant from full vacuum pumpdown - 2.2 pounds. You might - might - get close by guessing with a good gauge set.

·
2001 STS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Incorrect information in that post quote. The quoted member has not logged in for 7.5 years.

The low side is downstream of the expansion orifice - nearest the firewall.

Our systems take a specific weight of refrigerant from full vacuum pumpdown - 2.2 pounds. You might - might - get close by guessing with a good gauge set.
To be certain, per the picture, it is the top one or the smaller orifice? I appreciate the response by everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts