Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville SLS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our air compressor was automatically turned off due to low refridgerant. It says that the air should be on when adding more, but how can we do that?

If we add the refrigerant, will it automatically start working again? Help!!! Too hot for this to happen at this time of year!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,543 Posts
Get a can of refrigerant and hook it up to the low pressure port. Start the engine and clear the low refrigerant code to enable the compressor. Open the valve on the can and turn the A/C on MAX RECIRC.

DO NOT buy refrigerant with a sealant in it.

·
Registered
2000 eldorado, 99 deville, 92 brougham limo, 71 sedan deville
67 Posts
Get a can of refrigerant and hook it up to the low pressure port. Start the engine and clear the low refrigerant code to enable the compressor. Open the valve on the can and turn the A/C on MAX RECIRC.

DO NOT buy refrigerant with a sealant in it.
Hi ranger, I know this is an old thread, but if anyone has staying power you do lol.
Trying to refill my car after having the compressor replaced. I’m trying to clear to the codes, but not sure it’s working right.
With hose hooked up and valve open, I’m hearing the compressor try to kick on, then a click, pressure drops, then rises again. Is this normal? Does it take a while to fill? Seems to be going slowly, but didn’t seem to emptying the can, and ac only got slightly colder. I believe codes are clear because I’m not getting the ac off light on the ac display, but low refrigerant code is still present and won’t clear. I’m I just doing this all ass backwards? Passer and warmer to get code displays and top buttons on driver side marked yes and no for responses correct?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,543 Posts
If the compressor was replaced, the system was opened and you need a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum for about an hour and you'll need a real manifold, not a single hose can. The instructions I mentioned above was for topping the system off.

Why didn't the place that replaced the compressor do the recharge?

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,038 Posts
A system under full vacuum will take in a limited amount of Freon. Once it balances out with the first fill, there will be enough Freon to surpass the minimum requirement for low pressure. You can then reset low pressure code.

Must have a vacuum pump to do a proper fill.

(Shade mechanic trick of forcing the compressor on to draw in Freon will leave moisture in the system resulting in freezeups and corrosion)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts