Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my oil level the other day to discover that the level on the dipstick was significantly below the hatched area. It was atleast .5" below the hatches. My question is WHEN does the low-oil indicator normally turn on? It's kind of alarming to think that it never said I was low on oil, when I was obviously over 1.5 quarts short! Is that much oil usage in approximately 2,500 miles considered 'normal?' That's how many miles I've put on the car since I bought it, and the oil life indicator is still at 68%.

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
good point, i better check mine because im also showing 68% oil life left and im leaing this Friday for a road trip thats 6 hour drive and thats all i need is to be running out of oil. :bonkers:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The accepted practice is to check the oil level everytime you refuel. We must be fielding a new generation of risk takers.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Performance 2013 SRX Premium
1,045 Posts
The accepted practice is to check the oil level everytime you refuel.
Boy have times changed I bet less than 5% of the driving population does. One of my first jobs was at a Mobil station (early 70's) and everybody had me checking thier oil, of course engines burned or leaked oil much more than they do now.

when I was obviously over 1.5 quarts short!
Thats still 75% full, see my above comment, I checked cars oil that wasn't even on the dipstick and added 3 qts only to return it close to full. That was on 5 qt capacity crankcases.

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
I checked my oil level the other day to discover that the level on the dipstick was significantly below the hatched area. It was atleast .5" below the hatches. My question is WHEN does the low-oil indicator normally turn on? It's kind of alarming to think that it never said I was low on oil, when I was obviously over 1.5 quarts short! Is that much oil usage in approximately 2,500 miles considered 'normal?' That's how many miles I've put on the car since I bought it, and the oil life indicator is still at 68%.
When I first got my CTS about 7 months ago, I went through the DIC messages in the owner's manual and I found no message regarding adding oil, or check oil level. I had a couple of Northstar Caddy's and if you ran a quart short, you got a message in the DIC to "Check Oil Level". So what I'm trying to say is that the CTS has no such message - there is no oil level sensing system. You must check the dipstick. There is only a message that says "Stop Engine - Low Oil Pressure". That's obviously when you're critically low on oil or there is some other oil pressure problem. I was surprised that there is no message for low oil given all the DIC messages plus Cadillac always provided this feature with other models.

I bought my car new - I have it a little over 7 months and I have never run short on oil. So I don't know if running that short is normal. But every car is different.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
When I first got my CTS about 7 months ago, I went through the DIC messages in the owner's manual and I found no message regarding adding oil, or check oil level. I had a couple of Northstar Caddy's and if you ran a quart short, you got a message in the DIC to "Check Oil Level". So what I'm trying to say is that the CTS has no such message - there is no oil level sensing system. You must check the dipstick. There is only a message that says "Stop Engine - Low Oil Pressure". That's obviously when you're critically low on oil or there is some other oil pressure problem. I was surprised that there is no message for low oil given all the DIC messages plus Cadillac always provided this feature with other models.

I bought my car new - I have it a little over 7 months and I have never run short on oil. So I don't know if running that short is normal. But every car is different.
The 3.6L V6 engine has an oil level sensor and several owners have reported seeing DIC warning messages about "Low oil level"regardless of what the owners manual says.

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
The 3.6L V6 engine has an oil level sensor and several owners have reported seeing DIC warning messages about "Low oil level"regardless of what the owners manual says.
I'm just going by the owner's manual. There's a section where they list all of the DIC messages and there's no message regarding "check oil level". There's only a "Stop Engine - Low Oil Pressure" message, but that's it. I had a '95 Eldorado and a '97 Deville and the DIC had a "Check Oil Level" message if you ran a quart short. Most importantly, this message was listed in the respective owner's manuals under the list of DIC messages.

I have an '07 CTS with the 3.6 liter engine, so I would be happy if that message was available if you ran a quart short. As I said, there's no way for me to know, because I've yet to run a quart short of oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts