Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it goes like this: I'm driving the ETC to a wedding last night, everything's great, when I look down a see a message that says 'Low Oil Pressure/Stop Engine'. Never saw anything like that before; never knew such a message existed. Needless to say, the car was running fine, no weird noises, not over heating, etc, so I continued my trip (another three miles) without incident. I'd been driving in fairly heavy traffic (moving good though) and had just exited the highway on a downhill ramp and came to a stop when the message first appeared. It did this four or five times as I made my way to the next connecting highway, and then simply stopped. Never saw it again on the ride home, but it obviously got my attention. Can you Northstar gurus give me some insight on what occured? I'm figuring when I came to an idle, the oil pressure dropped enough to trigger the low oil pressure sensor, causing the message display. Is there any inherent danger in not heeding the warning in this situation? Your asssessment, please.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
Oil pump problems seem to be rare. I'd suspect a bad pressure switch, but before replacing it check the connector to be sure the connection is clean and tight.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I later searched the forum and found similar problems resolved fairly easily. Glad it looks like nothing too serious.

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
Any combination of hot oil, a teensy bit low level, and a downhill stop could cause the sensor to send a false low pressure reading.

The sensor could be bad, as well - cheap fix, I believe its right off the oil filter.

I believe I read somewhere that the NS only pumps 3-5 lbs of pressure at idle - which is one reason they didn't put a visual pressure gauge on the dash...can you imagine the panic when people started seeing 3 lbs of pressure, if they're used to the more common 20-40?? lol :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts