Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Deville
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
low oil pressure/stop engine on my 1995 Cadillac Deville? Should I be driving it?

I was waiting in a car wash line for 30-40 minutes with the engine idling when the 'Stop Engine' light engaged.

Shut off car for a while and began driving again...when the 'low oil pressure' light engaged while driving.

Shut off car, topped off the oil and drove...when idling at traffic lights the 'Stop Engine' light engaged, but the 'Stop Engine' light disengaged when I resumed driving and did not come on again after making it home 20 minutes later...the vehicle does seem to run fine. And all the fluid seem fine.

Question, should I be driving the vehicle if the low oil pressure/stop engine warnings continue?

Thanks in advance, Alex.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Re: low oil pressure/stop engine on my 1995 cadillac deville? Should I be driving it?

Change the OP sensor and if that doesn't fix STOP driving it until you figure it out. From your symptoms it does sound like an oil pump problem.

·
Registered
1995 Deville
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: low oil pressure/stop engine on my 1995 cadillac deville? Should I be driving it?

I should add...that the oil level was somewhat low when this all occurred.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts

How low??? Not a N* engine correct?

·
Registered
1995 Deville
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Oil was about half full, and not a N* engine.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Half full wouldn't register on the dipstick. Did you have to add 2.5 quarts, or was the oil half way to FULL on the dipstick?

·
Registered
1995 Deville
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Oil was half way to FULL on the dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,790 Posts

:yeah: Oil level and pressure are two different and unrelated things. Oil pressure switch, as mentioned, would be my guess as well.

·
Registered
1995 Deville
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Is it imperative that I need to replace this oil pressure switch ASAP?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,790 Posts

Not if it is in fact an indication problem. 9 out of 10 times it is, but you can't know that for sure unless you swap out the switch or plumb in a pressure gauge to get an actual pressure reading.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
No, assuming that's the problem. It is imperative that you make sure that the oil pressure isn't actually low. You either have to replace the switch, and see if the light goes out, or have an actual pressure test done.

Oops, great minds think alike, Ranger.

·
Registered
94 Deville 01 Deville DTS
73 Posts

Had the same issue on my Deville,replaced the oil pressure switch,no more problems.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Sedan DeVille - 4.9L
41 Posts

I had the same problem on my '95 deville. I spent a lot of money on it (replacing sensors and more) and finally the thing that made the problem go away was switching to 20W50 oil. If i switch back to 10W30 I get the symptom back. If I go back to 20W50 oil the symptom goes away again. Regarding the issue of high viscosity oil in the winter, I am in Texas so it doesn't get cold here. I did this 6 years ago (35 k miles) and this has not caused me any problems.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts

Does the oil light stay on or does it just flicker at idle? If it just flickers at idle it is probably working ok. The only time my oil light ever flickered on the 92 was when I tried some Carquest 5w30 synthetic on sale. I only left it in for a week. It would probably be fine for a newer tighter engine.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
austinDeville said:
I had the same problem on my '95 deville. I spent a lot of money on it (replacing sensors and more) and finally the thing that made the problem go away was switching to 20W50 oil. If i switch back to 10W30 I get the symptom back. If I go back to 20W50 oil the symptom goes away again. Regarding the issue of high viscosity oil in the winter, I am in Texas so it doesn't get cold here. I did this 6 years ago (35 k miles) and this has not caused me any problems.
If it wasn't a faulty sensor, you have an actual low pressure problem. Reduced pressure, caused by a weak pump, also means reduced flow, and that's a problem. 20W-50 (which is WAY too thick for your engine) is harder to pump through the oil passages, so it artificially "fixes" the pressure problem, and does nothing for the flow problem.

Using a thicker oil doesn't fix anything, it just turns the warning light off.

·
Registered
97sls,09dts
880 Posts
I use a 10W30 had same problem fixed with 15 oz. blue color bottle from walmart.

My manual warns me against using 20W50. Has anyone else use 20W50 with good results? Mike

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,503 Posts
His 4.9 (as opposed to a 4.8 Northstar) may be a little more tolerant of running motorcycle oil. But, you're correct: GM says NO !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts