Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a problem that is seemingly getting worse. When I am slowing down to a stop after running at driving speed, the idle will drop to 200rpms for about 3 seconds untill the car stops completely. The oil pressure gets low so I feather the throttle for a second to keep the rpms up. What could be the problem?

My car idles at 500 rpms in park by the way, it is a 99 with 102k miles.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, check engine light has never come on in the 6 months and 30k miles ive put on it. Are you talking about the idle air control? Where is it on my car? It seems to run fine with the low idle, not stumbling whatsoever, but I am worried about the oil pressure dropping too low.
Thanks for the help, and any other help is appreciated!

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
Theres no IAC on 99-01 (electronic throttle and advanced fuel injection and coil on plug ignition as well came in 99)

Whens the last time your car had a tuneup? Has it ever stalled doing this?

Im not so sure about these situations... it could be an accessory dragging the engine down when youre braking (like the A/C Compressor), a vacuum problem or maybe again- its related to the oil pump. Id guess though that it would go that low with that rpm level since it probably cant produce enough pressure on its own. Does the oil pressure light actually come on, and/or does it go into the red zone?

Try slowing down with the Airconditiong Off- just press off on the climate control. Next, (with the A/C on or off- or try both even) as you slow down, put it in neutral and see what happens to the RPM's.

This almost sounds normal but I cant remember what the RPM's, more or less oil pressure look like when im slowing down in the Catera.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. It only happens when the A/C is off (i like my windows down). My car idles higher with the A/C on.

The oil pressure light doesn't come on, nor does it go into the red zone, but it almost touches the line that seperates the red zone. It hasnt stalled either, but I guess i am just cautious.

I havent given it a tune up because I am unsure about spark plugs. I know the engine is made by Bosch, but I do not care for Bosch's +2 or +4 plugs.(the whole performance advertising showing 4 arcs turned me off).
What plugs work best with this engine?

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
miahcornell said:
Thanks for the reply. It only happens when the A/C is off (i like my windows down). My car idles higher with the A/C on.

The oil pressure light doesn't come on, nor does it go into the red zone, but it almost touches the line that seperates the red zone. It hasnt stalled either, but I guess i am just cautious.

I havent given it a tune up because I am unsure about spark plugs. I know the engine is made by Bosch, but I do not care for Bosch's +2 or +4 plugs.(the whole performance advertising showing 4 arcs turned me off).
What plugs work best with this engine?
This sounds normal. What type of oil (synthetic/non-synthetic) and what weight are you running?

Id still use Bosch +2 platinums. Otherwise ACDelco or Autolite. Just make sure its a platinum plug. The Catera has platinum plugs already; which are good to 100,000 miles. Other members should chime in on what brand they use though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will go with the platinum +2's, or i was thinking of getting the vauxhall ones from germany.

Im using non synthetic 10w30, and it has been warm here for michigan (80+) I will change the plugs and see if that helps. Oh, and when I put a can of Sea Foam in a tank of fuel it doesnt happen as bad.

I would be interested in hearing what type of plugs everyone is using. THanks

·
Registered
'00 Catera
121 Posts
Miachcornell, I have the same exact problem!!! Did you ever get this problem resolved? If yes, what did you do? My local Cadillac dealer says I need a oil pressure sending unit, but I'm doubtful. Please share with the family.

Thanks,
Andergar

·
Registered
'00 Catera
121 Posts
Not to be rude, Inconnu, but how does spark plugs change the idle and address the issue of low oil pressure. I'm hoping MiaCornell will respond to the original post and how they fixed or not fixed the original problem.

Andergar

1 - 12 of 12 Posts