Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday while driving home from work and noticed I had about 1/8 tank of fuel left ... heading down the toll road (flat, very flat) the Range indicator displayed 46 miles (plenty or wiggle room to the next exit for a fuel stop) ... 2 minutes later I got the "Low Fuel" warning and "Low Range" indicator ... 1 minute later I had a "Low Fuel" warning and a "51 Miles" Range ...

Anyone notice these two indicators don't seem to work together well?

-Serp.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Serpico said:
yesterday while driving home from work and noticed I had about 1/8 tank of fuel left ... heading down the toll road (flat, very flat) the Range indicator displayed 46 miles (plenty or wiggle room to the next exit for a fuel stop) ... 2 minutes later I got the "Low Fuel" warning and "Low Range" indicator ... 1 minute later I had a "Low Fuel" warning and a "51 Miles" Range ...

Anyone notice these two indicators don't seem to work together well?

-Serp.
I never trust those range indicators. My 2000 DTS's range indicator was also strange, as the numbers would go up and down slightly all the time by about 5-10 miles. Only range I trust was in my 1991 TownCar as I ran out of gas once, and let me tell you, that thing is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've mentioned this before...my car is actually being serviced and one of my items on my list is this very same issue. I will keep you posted as to what they find. I should get it back either this evening or tomorrow. We'll see what they say.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
onephatguy has nailed it. The situation is being continuously calculated. If you're coasting downhill the range increases. If you're powering uphill it decreases.

·
Registered
05 cts
44 Posts
my problem is when the low fuel light is lite the distance to empty goes away. It seems like that is when you really need to know how far before empty. Or am i not doing something correctly, any suggestions?
Mark

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
onephatguy said:
The fuel range is based on your current fuel economy. So it will vary based on your driving habits.
damn i feel dumb now, that totally makes sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts