Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
05 V/corsa/shifter/bushings/stealth tune/cai/19inch hre's
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after one day of driving with the new radiator, the low coolent level comes on dash...is this normal..just add some water?....it was a little low..:annoyed:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Mine also says its low. I haven't had any radiator work at all. Everytime it says its low I add about half of a cup of water and it says it's ok. I have taken it to the dealership 2 times about this and they can find nothing but it's gotta be leaking from somewhere. I have noticed antifreeze on my gas pedal a couple of times. I told the dealer this and still can't find anything.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
I have had this happen to me a few times as well... Low coolant in the morning when I drive out... Put in a cup or two of distilled water and its fine for a few days....

Werid.. seems like a problem cropping up... small leak from somewhere.

Reed

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
1,181 Posts
I had the same issue when I first got the car. After two radiators the issue was resolved.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
Been having the "low-coolent level" pop up for a couple weeks or so now.....checked the level and it looked just bairly under where it's supposed to be. The other day I could actually smell antifreeze coming thru the HVAC vents. She goes in tuesday to be adressed. She's getting the second rear looked at for the return of the whine and the cradle bushings taken care of at the same time. 7100 miles.

-MB

·
Registered
2007 Yukon Denali / 2009 G8 GT
347 Posts
Mine has been a bit low and I had it in on Friday.
The dealer "pressure test system found leaky lower radiator hose clamp, relocated lower radiator hose clamp".
I will see how that goes.
My rear has been leaking for a while and the delear " replaced both axle and pinion seal on right rear". I asked about it the last time I was in and the tech said it was probably the seal. I guess it was.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Interesting, mine has also come on. Only in the morning (twice) and only when I go one certain way to work that has the nose drop down . (Going downhill in other words).

Now on another note, Ryan's 05 has a much bigger problem. His rear is leaking:)

·
Registered
No GET-RAG or GM products
637 Posts
Take off the plastic trip tray. Mine was always soaked with antifreeze. The drip tray prevents the leak from making it to the ground.

GT

·
Registered
895 Posts
Small collant leaks are always a pain to find. My guess is that our radiator was designed by the same people that designed the rear dif.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I had low levels a couple of times early in the year. The dealer checked and said it was fine. Which it was for a while. Filled it up maybe twice in 2 months and then it started to show low alot. Thought it was nothing since I never saw any coolant on the garage floor. When getting underneath the car, I saw some fluid.

After a new radiator, no problems. However, I did autocross a few days later and the temp would show a spike every time I started the car. As soon as it spiked, it went back to normal. Then, as I was leaving the track, the check engine light came on. The temp never spiked again and the CEL went out after a few days. No problems since. It was most likely an air pocket in the new radiator.

·
Registered
05 V/corsa/shifter/bushings/stealth tune/cai/19inch hre's
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
put a cup and half of distilled h2o in her...and the light has not come back on...air pockets is what im thinking, it needed to settle...so far so good, ill keep ya's posted..:bouncy:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same thing. Never saw a lak..just the low level light. First time dealer "tightened a clamp."

Second time I got the new redesigned radiatorand so far no repeat problem.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I know GM had problems in the past with their coolant level sensors. I think the issue was due to the dex-clog coolant.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Anyone have any resolutions to this? Mine has been saying this lately. What should I do / check? I'd assume there is a cap somewhere near the front when I open the hood (as I'm in my living room and have no interest to go to the garage right now). Just add a little distilled water?

·
Registered
Cadillac
29 Posts
Anyone have any resolutions to this? Mine has been saying this lately. What should I do / check? I'd assume there is a cap somewhere near the front when I open the hood (as I'm in my living room and have no interest to go to the garage right now). Just add a little distilled water?
The coolant bottle is located under the hood, on the drivers side firewall. The fluid in the bottle is orange. When my light comes on, I alternate adding about a quart of distilled water to it, and a quart of dextron anti-freeze. One of these days I will actually replace the radiator. I am out of warranty, so it would have to come out of pocket.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V Black;08 Yukon Denali
276 Posts
after one day of driving with the new radiator, the low coolent level comes on dash...is this normal..just add some water?....it was a little low..:annoyed:
Exact same thing happened to me. Dealer replaced radiator, the very next day I started the car and got the low coolent warning again. I drove right back to the dealer, they looked it all over again. The coolent level was just slightly below the mark, they filled just a bit and the tech said "forgot to burp the system" and there was just enough of an air pocket to make the coolent level go down by a hair the next day. Not sure I believed them at the time, but it was about 6-7 months ago and I have not had a coolent warning since. I think if you did what Reed said, it should solve it as well. Just my $.02.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts