Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 Luxury Edition Colour Platinum Ice Tricoat
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2011 SRX and the high beams are very good but the low beams seem much to low and or dim....pardon my ignorance but are there two separate bulbs for low and hi beam or is this a common problem with this model...

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
261 Posts
The Base and Luxury SRX's have halogen headlights and they are substandard, as you have noted. The Performance and Premium models have HID headlights which are much better. In your SRX, the low beam and high beam headlights are two different bulbs. The HID headlights use a single bulb for both high and low beams. There are several threads on HID conversions on our vehicles. There is even one individual who retrofitted the factory HID headlights from the Performance and Premium into his Luxury. Do a search.

Phil

·
Registered
2013 SRX Not so Base anymore
95 Posts
If you are feeling adventurous...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/#/forumsite/20562/topics/848138?page=1

Plug and play hid options are a little better than the halogen's also. New bulbs could help too as the car is almost 4 years old and most likely have the original headlight bulbs in them. The halogens definitely are not great though.
On a side note, if your headlights have condensation problems then your projector bowls could be damaged. I've pulled headlights apart that had condensation issues to see the low beam projector bowls burned. At that point it doesn't matter what bulbs you throw in. I'd go with new halogen bulbs first to see if it helps or a plug and play hid kit. But the latter is a little more expensive.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
269 Posts
I just retrofitted our 2012 SRX Luxury with a HID kit from diode dynamics. It was around $150 for their kit for the low beams. It took me about 4 hours of working to take the front end off and pull the headlights, do the drilling and mounting the ballasts for the conversion. You need to have some serious skills to do this upgrade but after driving it tonight I gotta say it's one of the best things I've done to upgrade a car since I put a "curve kit" into the distributor of our 1977 Caprice Classic with the 305 engine! This is great stuff and I highly recommend that anyone with lousy headlights on a base or Luxury model do this mod. It's well worth the time and few bucks. And the best thing about this is the parts are warrantied by diode dynamics for three years so it's not the elcheapo kit from flea-bay and won't burn out like those do. Time will tell but I'm thinking that I can see at night for the first time !

Steve

http://diodedynamics.com/store/

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac SRX Luxury
2 Posts
I totally agree that low beams are very dim. I just purchased a 2014 SRX Luxury and ended up installing Sylvania halogen ultra bulbs, adjusted the headlight angle up (4) complete turns on adjusters and installed aftermarket fog lights since base and luxury trim levels don't come with fog lights (which is so weird) and many lower priced SUVs and sedans come standard with them. After doing these minor upgrades and adjustments, lighting with low beams and fogs are much improved:) Maybe in the future I will install HIDs or something better.

·
Registered
2013 SRX Not so Base anymore
95 Posts
They aren't prewired for them. You can buy the fog light kits online and either have a dealer install them or install them yourself. I think there is a thread on here with instructions. Either way you would still need a dealer to activate them (in order for the dash button to turn them on).

·
Registered
2005 Cts
21 Posts
I just retrofitted our 2012 SRX Luxury with a HID kit from diode dynamics. It was around $150 for their kit for the low beams. It took me about 4 hours of working to take the front end off and pull the headlights, do the drilling and mounting the ballasts for the conversion. You need to have some serious skills to do this upgrade but after driving it tonight I gotta say it's one of the best things I've done to upgrade a car since I put a "curve kit" into the distributor of our 1977 Caprice Classic with the 305 engine! This is great stuff and I highly recommend that anyone with lousy headlights on a base or Luxury model do this mod. It's well worth the time and few bucks. And the best thing about this is the parts are warrantied by diode dynamics for three years so it's not the elcheapo kit from flea-bay and won't burn out like those do. Time will tell but I'm thinking that I can see at night for the first time !

Steve

http://diodedynamics.com/store/
Which bulbs did you get? Did you need the relay?

·
Registered
SRX
13 Posts
If they are like the Kensun's then you do not need the relay. Just get an H11 replacement and you can install without removing the bumper cover. You will need to remove the airbox to do the passenger side, but that is just 3 torx bolts.

·
Registered
2012 SRX AWD Luxury
26 Posts
Look on Amazon for Kensun HID kit for H11 bulb. Under $70 and works like a champ. An hour to install both.
Can I ask you which specific kit you went with? I looked at Amazon and there are a number of Kensun options ranging in price from $40 to $70. I'm a dumba$$ when it comes to this stuff, but think I could do the upgrade if I had the right kit.

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
269 Posts
We still have the 2012 SRX and the headlights since the upgrade have been great. My installation job has held up well for around 20,000 mi now and I have no complaints at all with the product from Diode Dynamics. Here's the link to the one I used almost 2 years ago now. And they come with a 3 yr warranty. There's a reason these are more expensive. They are the highest quality components for this application.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/low-beam-hid-conversion-kit-for-2011-2016-cadillac-srx.html

Steve

·
Registered
2015 SRX
3 Posts
Short of sounding Like JOE DIRT.... I'm NEW, I'm NEW I don't know what to do......lol,,,, We have purchases a used 2015 SRX, We really like the car, that is like several other folks that we have read about, The night time driving is a current NO NO..... I have read a lot of information about different ideas, my only real concern is the Diode Dynamics for low-beam kit that seems like a really good idea.... is it going to improve the already ruined factory lights? It is my understanding that the light fixture reflector is the real culprit I have changed to LED, not much better, just a whiter light, then switch to the best halogen I could by, (I think it is called the ultra) and it is a little better (the light is a little more traditional and seems a little better directed..... but if I do the HID kit that is seemingly the way to go, is it going to project out further and work better than the current bulbs even if the internal reflector / gizmo components in the fixture are somewhat already ruined? I, like anyone else would much rather spend 150 to 200 bucks rather than surf through several different after market light fixtures to see what was best.... On one of my searches I had seen where an individual modified his wiring to adapt to the actual HID fixtures that came in the upgraded models of cars..... I think that is what I would most like to do.... but I have concerns about the little eye ball trying to move even if there is nothing telling it what to do, since the car didn't come with that feature..Thank you for your time, Open to any and all suggestions.....

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
269 Posts
I'll say it again. I did the Diode Dynamics install. It was kinda a PIA cause I pulled the whole bumper cover off but I probably didn't have to according to some other posters who removed stuff behind the headlights to get to them. But, i took the bumper cover off as it was only a few screws and some snap tabs. But, if your headlights are not corroded out inside on the reflectors from moisture then you should be good to go for HID lights. They are the best upgrade I've done in a car lately. We actually do drive it at night more than ever just because the headlights are soooooo gooooood.

Steve

·
Registered
2015 SRX
3 Posts
Thank you for the reply Steve,

I did read your comments, I was just being a worry wart about the reflector, I really can't see in the glass, I took a couple of Q-tips taped them together so that I could possibly reach in side and swab the back side of the glass, once the Q-tip up agains the glass, then I could see it, but not util it was up against it. The Q-tip came out clean, I will try the kit you recommended, Did you use the optional relay? I looked at the site and it is a little confusing as to if the relay comes with it, or if you have to purchase it separately.
If you did use the relay, did it come with all the parts? Did you mount the ballast out side the fixture?

Thanks for your time,
Bob

1 - 20 of 49 Posts